Your question

Most important speed factor, 2TB+ mechanical drives

Tags:
  • Hard Drives
  • Performance
  • Storage
Last response: in Storage
September 7, 2011 1:38:17 AM

I've been reading about the changes to harddrives and their performance when above 1.5TB or 2TB.

These days, what is the most important factor you look for after you determine size and brand, etc.

Spindle speed? Would you buy a 5400rpm for a fast computer and load your OS on it?

Cache size? Does this make that much of a difference?

Then what about buffer size, platters (if all drives today are the same, does this matter?) storage method, etc.

I'm asking because my friend told me the spindle rpm is irrelevant these days, and I haven't purchased a drive in a year or two. Wondering how much truth there is to that.

Thanks!

More about : important speed factor 2tb mechanical drives

a c 180 G Storage
September 7, 2011 2:02:34 AM

Newer drives are denser, so at the same rpm, they can transfer data faster.
Higher rpm mostly shows up as an important factor in random access vecause it reduces latency.
Cache/buffer size may be mostly marketing, drive vendors have built in the appropriate amount, and more is just a selling point.

If you want performance for the os, get a SSD. It is much faster than any conventional hard drive. Use a hard drive for storage and backups.
m
l
September 7, 2011 2:08:24 AM

Ya, SSD is the obvious choice for the brain memory. Thats why I really haven't paid much attention to the recent HDD trends.

m
l
!