Sign in with
Your question

Overclocking didnt change much for my gaming.

Tags:
  • Graphics Cards
  • Overclocking
  • Gaming
Last response: in Overclocking
February 15, 2012 1:34:12 PM

Hi i recently used MSI afterburner to overclock my radeon hd 6850. I got the coreclock up to 1Ghz and i had the memory at about 1050Mhz without tampering with the voltage. but i saw no real change to the quality of the games. am i doing something wrong?

More about : overclocking didnt change gaming

a b U Graphics card
a c 190 K Overclocking
February 16, 2012 10:58:52 PM

Whats your monitor setup and resolution?
A single monitor at 1024x768 wont get any better by clocking your card, you would see improvements on a three monitor set up by boosting the card but we need more info to accurately judge your situation :-)
It also depends somewaht on the actual games, are they cpu or gpu fed?
Moto
m
l
February 17, 2012 2:08:18 AM

Motopsychojdn said:
Whats your monitor setup and resolution?
A single monitor at 1024x768 wont get any better by clocking your card, you would see improvements on a three monitor set up by boosting the card but we need more info to accurately judge your situation :-)
It also depends somewaht on the actual games, are they cpu or gpu fed?
Moto

Hey thanks for the reply. Im usually playing through my phillips 1080p television.It has such a sweet picture. The game i was tampering with was Starwars:the old republic.Certain areas have better framerates then others. SO i would slowly add alittle more core clock, test it over and over until i reached about 1Ghz. There was not a very noticable amount of fps increase, then my card crashed haha.

Also, i want to start tweaking the voltage on my gpu. MSI afterburner is working out great so far. But i dont really have much knowledge about the voltage on these things and how to measure it when im testing it. I need to know the stock voltage of my AMD radeon hd 6850, the max safe voltage i can climb to. And what type of ratio i should use example: how many volts shoulod i use, while using x amount of coreclock and memory clock.
m
l
February 27, 2012 10:00:19 AM

Use GPU-Z and check the GPU usage, in most cases when someone claims to not notice any improvement from a large overclock, it is due to the game not using 100% GPU usage to begin with

http://www.techpowerup.com/gpuz/

be fore to enable refreshing in the background and run the game and see if it holds the GPU at 100%. If not then the overclock wont make a noticeable improvement in the game (at most it may raise the minimum FPS slightly)
m
l
Related resources
!