XSPC Rasa dual rad single loop a good idea?

Swisser873

Distinguished
Jan 22, 2011
I know there are quite a few threads about novices to water cooling asking these types of questions but mine is a little more specific so I thought I'd start my own.

I am looking to water cool my rig and I was wondering if the budget setup I'm looking at is adequate for what I want to do.

I am running a i5 2500K and an HD 6970 reference in a Cooler Master Haf X Case.

What I want to do is run a dual radiator single loop setup with the XSPC Rasa 240 kit and then an additional 140mm rad (Loop would run res-pump-240 rad(mounted on top)-cpu-140 rad(mounted on back)-gpu-res) with the CPU OC'd to around 5ghz.

I want to go with the 240mm rad instead of the 360 because for the 360 to fit I believe I would have to leave the top 5.25'' bay open and I am planning to have all my bays filled (Fan controller, DVD Drive, Dual Bay Res/Pump Combo, the the two hot swap bays), but if the 360 would cool a significant amount more I could forgo the fan controller.

My questions are as follows:
Would the pump that comes with the combo be sufficient to run a decent flow through this loop?
If so would I be able to add another 6970 in the future and still get a decent flow?
Should I go with the 360mm rad instead of the 240mm? (The 240mm rad would have 2 120mm fans pushing through it and then 2 200mm fans pulling.)

Thanks in advance for the response and I know this horse is being beaten to death but I want to get as much information as possible before starting on this project,

Solution
Depending on how you wanted to go, you could easily run a Rasa 360 kit and a CPU+GPU loop. If you are planning to for sure include the second block, you start to look at how much overclocking you are doing. A normal RX360 rad 'could' handle a CPU and dual 6970's with good fans if you kept all components at stock speeds or mild overclocks. However, with that much hardware being cooled, you might consider a custom build from the start, which shouldn't be too difficult.

You can always mount rads outside your case, but I guess that's a choice for you to make.

rubix_1011

Contributing Writer
If you are truly looking at at CPU + dual GPU loop right now, you might want to consider just building a custom loop and skipping a Rasa kit altogether.

What is your budget for watercooling? This might help determine the best route to go.

Swisser873

Distinguished
Jan 22, 2011
I really didn't want to spend over $200 for the CPU block, pump, 240mm or 360mm rad, tubing, and fittings but I could go a little over if I had to. I was planning on holding off on the 2nd rad and the GPU water block for a little while anyways.

I definitely don't want to buy something that I will need to replace when it's time to upgrade so I want to get it right the first time around.

I also was looking at the EK 2.2 and 4.0 pumps but its been hard to find the 4.0 in stock anywhere.

rubix_1011

Contributing Writer
Depending on how you wanted to go, you could easily run a Rasa 360 kit and a CPU+GPU loop. If you are planning to for sure include the second block, you start to look at how much overclocking you are doing. A normal RX360 rad 'could' handle a CPU and dual 6970's with good fans if you kept all components at stock speeds or mild overclocks. However, with that much hardware being cooled, you might consider a custom build from the start, which shouldn't be too difficult.

You can always mount rads outside your case, but I guess that's a choice for you to make.

Solution
The kit pump is actually surprisingly decent. I used one since I wanted a cheap drive bay pump/res and it didn't leak, pushed a lot of water (between a DDC and D5 pump) and was pretty quiet. I'd say the kit is a good way to get started especially on a budget.

Have you decided on full cover or universal GPU blocks? I happen to have an EK 6970/6950 reference full cover block if you're interested :D :D

Sales pitch aside, I'd personally suggest universal blocks - they're about half the price of full covers, and ones like Swiftech are supported over multiple generations of GPUs (the MCW60/80/82s support everything from around the 8xxxGT to GTX 580s, and the AMD/ATI equivalents). Upgrading only requires a $10 bracket, rather than a new $100 block.

rubix_1011

Contributing Writer
My new brackets for 560 Ti were only $5.99 each, I think. :) Hole pattern for 460/560 must be different than that for 580 since there are different brackets depending on which card you have.

The brackets are a piece of cake to interchange- 4 allen screws is all it takes to swap the brackets and they come with new mount hardware.

noob2222

Distinguished
Nov 19, 2007
would say that it would work ok with one gpu, adding a 2nd would be pushing it, radiator cooling as well as pump, a 360 equivalent would be tough for a cpu and 2 gpus.

For simplicity on finding parts, http://dazmode.com/store/index.php?main_page=index&cPath=178_201 any of those would be a considerable upgrade on the rasa kit.

Comparatively speaking, you basically get the tubing, fans, and thermal paste for free if purchased separately on a cheaper site.

rubix_1011

Contributing Writer
You could do it with a single radiator, it really depends on your overclocking plans and the radiator and fans being used. At stock speeds it's very doable. Even if you overclock, your delta will suffer, but it would be better than normal air cooling on GPUs.

Lutfij

Titan
^ very true mate

@ OP - take the OC to 4GHz and you'll be set for 2~3 years(maybe 4) depending on what you do. In all honesty, you don't even need the 5GHz OC - inspite of having two high perf cards in your system.

2nd advice - stick to building a custom loop. I also had the dilemma of going cheap+getting the rasa RX kit and maybe add parts to quench the power hungry parts. But soon realized its a "lil" better to buy stuff you'll need in the future than not have them at all and spend more hard earned cash. ** emphasis on "lil" - don't overdo it :lol: :)

*** watercooling is like having your own tailor made suit - anyone else can put it on but only you'll look better in it - (provided you don't have a pot belly :D ) as opposed to one size fits all suits that look horrendous.

might want to check this out if you don't want your brain to turn into noodles :) http://dazmode.com/store/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=178_201&products_id=1874

@ OP - take the OC to 4GHz and you'll be set for 2~3 years(maybe 4) depending on what you do. In all honesty, you don't even need the 5GHz OC - inspite of having two high perf cards in your system.
I switched from a 2500K to an i3-2120 and it plays all of my games the same as my 2500K. I need a second GPU to really push my system any further.

That said the guy that I traded my 2500K to got it to 4.4 GHz on 0.1V over stock, so you could be able to get a large frequency jump with marginal added heat.

2nd advice - stick to building a custom loop. I also had the dilemma of going cheap+getting the rasa RX kit and maybe add parts to quench the power hungry parts. But soon realized its a "lil" better to buy stuff you'll need in the future than not have them at all and spend more hard earned cash. ** emphasis on "lil" - don't overdo it :lol: :)
Really the weakest part of the kits is the pump. If XSPC sold Rasa/Raystorm + RX block/rad combos, I'd be all over them the next time I build. Although it chugs along, you always worry about that pump...

Lutfij

Titan
Really the weakest part of the kits is the pump
yep - that was the nail in my head to go custom - but the funny thing is that dazmode link posted earlier...i checked it ot and they are doing a good job of adding more flavor to the pumps in that kit - you can get: from dazmode's site -

Kit's Content:

Raystorm CPU Block Intel (AMD Braket included)
RX360 Extreme Performance Radiator
Three Fans and Stealth black Grills
5.25" Dual Bay Reservoir Pump Combo
DazMode Storm D5 Strong Pump
Six Black Crome 7/16 Compression fittings
Thermochill Flex 7/16 Tubing (White)
Radiator's (optional) External Mounting Hardware
K2 Thermal Grease and PSU Jumper

i'm being tempted to get this one for another build of mine but in a RX 240 flavor...will be contacting dazmode to see if i can get it with the D5s pump.

ahem! ; http://www.dazmode.com/_forum/viewtopic.php?f=24&t=264&p=1135#p1135 i'm sending daz a mail to see if i can get this within the next 2 weeks...

Lutfij

Titan
^ yeap thas what had me going - but what have we to loose - we're getting everything for a tad cheaper... :)
from the site:
Raystorm EX240-D5S is join effort between XSPC and DazMode.

This dual thin, high density, high performance radiator kit has major improvements over popular RASA complete watercooling predecessor.

First of all, rather solid RASA block was replaced with even better micro-channel based RayStorm CPU waterblock. Intel mounting is pre-installed, while AMD mounting is included in the package.
Second , this kit features new XSPC EX-series radiator, which in its thin formfactor is close to RX-series radiators performance.
Third, barbs were replaced with compression fittings for easier installation and maintenance.
Forth, PVC clear tube was replaced with Thermochill Flex white tube.
Fifth, fans are pre-sleeved in black
Sixth, silver fan grills were replaced with Stealth Black grills
And last, but not the least XSPC pump prone to develop noise and proven to be un-realiable was replaced with industry best German engineered D5 Strong high performance pump capable to drive this kit and few extra blocks (such as GPU, Memory or Motherboard) with ease.

Sound as totally new product, isn't it?
** yeap jus confirmed with Dazmode:
Yes you can grab dual EX240 kit with RX240 upgrade

so that'd be +$22.99... total of $272.98 for all the above only in a 240 flavor - :wahoo: now that is a nice deal.

Lutfij

Titan
hmmm - but think of it as the golden ticket to get more parts into the loop - though not restrictive...more gpu's and rads to feed.

and some custom aesthetics that are somewhat of a time-consumer to do yourself.
we're watercooling posse (moto's nickname to us hobbyists :lol: ) so yeah we're def going to take a lil longer just to make it look perty.

although you do get a better pump
the x20 pump that came/comes with the xspc kits are notorious for having a fairly high failure rate.

Although it chugs along, you always worry about that pump
more time chillin'/less time worrying. :)

I am running a XSPC 750 RS240+120mm rad to cool my FX-8120 and Sapphire 6950 and it works very well. I did not have the room to run a 360 without modding my case so I went this rout which gave me the overall cooling effect of a 360. Personal I am really happy with the XSPC kit it has lived up to everything I needed and more.

steadywaters

Distinguished
Oct 22, 2011
I have the HAF X.

When I was researching watercooling, I found this post about conflicts introduced by the size of XSPC's RX rads:

http://www.overclock.net/t/910545/i7-950-haf-x-rx360-rasa-water-cooling-log-lots-of-pics

Because I was worried about the mobo's heatsinks interfering with the rad fans, I went with the EX360.

On that note, the rad does occupy plenty of space of the first drive bay. I use the Scythe Kaza Master Pro fan controller and I could probably make it work in the first drive bay but I wouldn't.

On choosing between a kit or custom loop, I'd also suggest a custom loop. I was very much in the same position as you (didn't want to buy things that'll be suffice for now and then look to upgrade later) - went with the MCP655.

Swisser873

Distinguished
Jan 22, 2011
Thanks everyone for all the input! I ended up going with the RX240 kit with the D5 pump. That pump being switched really sold me, since the stock pump from the RS240 was the only thing holding me back. After I get all that setup with my new motherboard (Asus Maximus IV p67) ill start thinking about getting a 140mm rad for the water to hit after my CPU and before my GPU (which I will be waterblocking as well). Ill also post a link to some videos/pictures after stage 1 if anyone is interested in how it came out. Thanks again everyone!