My External is not showing in Computer (Windows 7)

xebecs

Distinguished
May 18, 2011
Hello,

1. I had the external HDD password protected using Windows 7.
2. It use to work even few days ago.
3. The external disk will show connected in system tray in Win7.
4. Tried all device manager tricks but no luck so far.
5. Unwilling to format since I have valuable data in that external drive.

Help please,
Sincerely
Xebecs

xebecs

Distinguished
May 18, 2011

Hi Pik, I am not discussing passwords here, if you read my thread carefully you will see it is about my Hard Disk not responding properly, it's a hardware issue, password so far is not a matter of discussion from the beginning...

By the way, anyone who actually understood my problem please note that my hdd is available in bios yet it's not showing in explorer, when I try using any partition software the program crashes, soon I remove the usb from that external the program runs no problem, what could possibly happen to it?

Thanks in advance...

Pilk

Distinguished
Jan 6, 2010
Is the HDD of NTFS partitioning? You should maybe look at a form of recovery software and see if the recovery software picks up the drive, if so you will be able to do the retrieval you need. Also if it picks up in the bios it is not necessarily a hardware issue.

The program i use is getback NTFS

Try the program it will take a couple of seconds to pick up the drives, if it picks up your drive then good you can at least start with getting the data back.

xebecs

Distinguished
May 18, 2011

Hi Pik,

Thanks for your response, unfortunately, none of partition applications, Data Recovery programs or Formatting software are working when I connect my 1TB External through USB, either it will freeze or if some program actually attempts to run, will take forever to scan the external drive, actually they don't work at all, I am starting to think that external hdd is toast.

Pilk

Distinguished
Jan 6, 2010
It defiantly sounds like it if the applications themselves are battling then highly possible this is your fault, you can try changing the usb cable leading from you external drive to the computer, i know the cables can sometimes give issues, if this doesn't work i would lead to the drive having a hardware issue.