XFX Radeon 5750, redoing thermal goop

fishrule

Distinguished
Oct 28, 2009
I just finished building my budget gaming box with an Athlon II 620 CPU and Radeon 5750 graphics card. Anyways I removed the cooler and replaced the stock crap with Zalman Super Thermal Grease. I forgot to bench the GPU temps for before results (since it never even made it into the PC before I did that :p), but has anyone done what I did with the 5xxx series?

The amazing thing was how awful the stock thermal compound was. The card hadn't even been used yet and when I opened it up it had already taken on a dust like quality. I simply passed a clean rag over it and it all came off. I don't know what that stuff was, but it was pretty crap. What do you guys think? I'm just looking for user input to see if other people have been doing this.

fishrule

Distinguished
Oct 28, 2009
I've done it on nearly every graphics card I've ever owned that had a heat sink (which was basically everything after the Voodoo 2) and have never had a problem. I was just looking for users with similar experiences, not a flame war.

Umm.... a 5750 is NOT a low end card. A GTS210/220, 4350, 8400GS are low end cards. A 5750 is mid high card.

ubernoobie

Distinguished
May 29, 2009
XFX has mod proof warranty