Sign in with
Your question

XFX Radeon 5750, redoing thermal goop

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
November 1, 2009 7:38:30 PM

I just finished building my budget gaming box with an Athlon II 620 CPU and Radeon 5750 graphics card. Anyways I removed the cooler and replaced the stock crap with Zalman Super Thermal Grease. I forgot to bench the GPU temps for before results (since it never even made it into the PC before I did that :p ), but has anyone done what I did with the 5xxx series?

The amazing thing was how awful the stock thermal compound was. The card hadn't even been used yet and when I opened it up it had already taken on a dust like quality. I simply passed a clean rag over it and it all came off. I don't know what that stuff was, but it was pretty crap. What do you guys think? I'm just looking for user input to see if other people have been doing this.
a b U Graphics card
November 1, 2009 7:42:25 PM

Why in gods name do people do this with these low end cards? :/  All it does is void your warranty and give you an extra chance to mess something up in the process.
m
l
November 1, 2009 7:48:29 PM

I've done it on nearly every graphics card I've ever owned that had a heat sink (which was basically everything after the Voodoo 2) and have never had a problem. I was just looking for users with similar experiences, not a flame war.
m
l
Related resources
a b U Graphics card
November 1, 2009 9:04:22 PM

brockh said:
Why in gods name do people do this with these low end cards? :/  All it does is void your warranty and give you an extra chance to mess something up in the process.

Umm.... a 5750 is NOT a low end card. A GTS210/220, 4350, 8400GS are low end cards. A 5750 is mid high card.
m
l
November 1, 2009 9:36:32 PM

I lost interest in this thread when I realized the OP wouldn't be able to provide before and after numbers. Sad.
m
l
November 1, 2009 9:37:39 PM

And Shadow would know a thing or two about low-end cards... 8400GS? *snicker*
m
l
November 1, 2009 9:51:43 PM

brockh said:
XFX has mod proof warranty
m
l
November 1, 2009 11:27:49 PM

I have the same card and it works fine with the provided thermal paste, the temps never get high at all.
m
l
!