Sign in with
Your question
Closed

Intel I3?

Last response: in CPUs
January 8, 2010 8:40:54 PM

Hi everyone,

Just wondering if an Intel I3 processor would be good for a new gaming LAN build i'm planning. i know it has integrated graphics much like a lot of the AMD stuff but im wondering if it is also able to take discrete graphics cards for gaming performance, also would the dual cores be able to keep up with a lot of the modern games today (the two i play most currently are dawn of war 2 and modern warfare 2). Originally I was intending to go with an I5 build that would cost me around £500 including OS but if i can save some money while not sacrificing performance massively then I'll definitely consider these cheaper I3's.

Thanks.

More about : intel

a b à CPUs
January 8, 2010 8:50:12 PM

no the i3 is like a celeron of the i series go for i5

the i3 is the weakest processor it is only slightlly better than the core seriess and not good for gaming
January 8, 2010 8:57:11 PM

Thanks Upendra, i'll definitely go with my I5 build then. Actually after posting this i calculated the difference in cost between an I3 cpu + mobo and my I5 cpu + mobo and the difference was only like £20 which definitely is worth spending for full fledged quad core goodness.
Related resources
January 8, 2010 9:06:15 PM

Griffolion said:
Thanks Upendra, i'll definitely go with my I5 build then. Actually after posting this i calculated the difference in cost between an I3 cpu + mobo and my I5 cpu + mobo and the difference was only like £20 which definitely is worth spending for full fledged quad core goodness.

I see nothing wrong with an i3 gaming system. It has plenty of power behind it just make sure you match it with a good GPU.

http://www.anandtech.com/cpuchipsets/showdoc.aspx?i=370...
a b à CPUs
January 8, 2010 9:26:21 PM

yeah but the the i5 comes with HT if I believe and that can be much better for future programs
a b à CPUs
January 8, 2010 9:27:54 PM

the i5 is better for gaming than the i3 definately and as he said the difference is only 20 euros
a b à CPUs
January 8, 2010 9:33:03 PM

in that case the i3 is fine but i personally would go with the i5 for the quad choice
January 8, 2010 9:37:22 PM

I appreciate all your responses but after looking at the slight price difference, i think i'm going to go for the I5 afterall. Thanks for your CPU-Z screen shot Psycho.
January 8, 2010 9:42:19 PM

Yeah, i have one in my main build which i got over christmas and its really really good. To be honest, the I3 would have been a serious consideration IF the cpu + mobo price weren't so similar to the build i already had planned. If there was say a £50 difference then i would have really considered it, especially after you saying its a solid performer for gaming but £20 is honestly something i won't miss (its only a round at the pub after all haha :p ).
a b à CPUs
January 8, 2010 10:39:31 PM

Correct me if I wrong but if the i3 clocks higher and easier it would be best in most games. i5 would pown in multithreaded games apps.
January 8, 2010 10:46:20 PM

its good, games dont really need a powerfull cpu, they need a powerfull GPU
you can have a e5200 and a 5850 and be happy lol
a b à CPUs
May 31, 2011 10:41:32 PM

This topic has been closed by Mousemonkey
!