Sign in with
Your question

BOOT.INI issue

Last response: in Windows 2000/NT
October 25, 2001 1:31:26 AM

Ok guys, here is my new problem:
I have an IBM DeskStar 60GXP 40Gb (of course 7200rpm etc etc)... Partitioned as follows:
FAT32 - NTFS - NTFS - FAT32
Win98 Win2kAS WinXPro no OS

Earlier today I formatted the 1st partition and reinstalled Win98SE... before doing that, I saved the file C:\BOOT.INI on a floppy (removed the attributes first).
Then reinstalled Win98SE, copied back the BOOT.INI file on C:\ and re-attributed the Archive, Hidden and System attributes to it... guess what? after the POST my unit boots straight into Windows 98... is there any file that I should have backed up as well? Is there any other file that I can edit and modify to get my old dear boot menu at startup?

Thnx in advance for any help guys,

Treppiede

A television may insult your intelligence but nothing rubs it in
like a computer.

More about : boot ini issue

October 25, 2001 2:13:07 PM

Win 9x uses a different boot sector that NT/2000. The boot program for 9x doesn't even know what boot.ini is, let alone how to use it. Run NT/2000 setup. Choose "Repair" when you get that option. Do a "manual" repair, and only repair the boot sector/files.

It's been a while and I can't remember if it does it for you or not, but be sure the following are in the root of your drive as well:
Ntldr
Ntdetect.com
Ntbootdd.sys (Only if you have SCSI)

When you are done with the above, put your boot.ini file back and you should be good to go.

I think there are about a half dozen articles on dual booting in Microsoft Technet.
Related resources
October 26, 2001 3:55:59 AM

many thnxs to both of you guys, I'll definatively try your advises and let you know... ;o)

like a computer.
October 26, 2001 11:46:55 AM

The easiest way to avoid these problems is to make sure you make a new Win2K emergency disc before you change the system which resisdes on the boot partition of your hard disc (i.e. Win98). Then you can simply repair it from the Win2K setup disc. Without an uptodate repair disc this option will not be possible.
Manually copying the Ntdetect, Ntldr and Boot.ini to the C:\ drive should also work.
October 26, 2001 7:55:05 PM

Many thnx to all you guys for the help.
Here's how I fixed my problem:
Start winnt32 from the win2k advanced server cd while into Win98, and once the computer restarted to go into the dos mode part of the setup,the old dear menu came back with the Win98SE entry, the Win2k SETUP entry plus my old winxp and win2k as entries.... so I canceled the setup, went back into win98 and re-edited the file boot.ini to suit my needs (and deleted the tmp setup files that setup created...)

again, thnx guys

like a computer.
October 27, 2001 3:45:58 AM

geez, just get rid of 98SE already. lol

glad you fixed it
!