I5 750 heat problem

G

Have overheating problem (CPUs
under load with new i5 750 Dell PC and Ge force GTX 260 Graphics card. Store tech has replaced PC twice and tested and found problem at store also At load CPU temps go up graphics drag and on-board sound gets fuzzy and cuts out I put extra fan in case but no difference Any ideas?

Solution
So, if you've had the PC literally replaced, and the in-store tech confirms each time that the CPU is running too hot... then you need to buy something else.

It sounds as though perhaps this particular Dell setup isn't designed to adequately cool the i5-750 and or the GTX 260.

But as Griffolion hinted toward, there's not much information here (for instance, actual temperatures, etc). For instance:

At load CPU temps go up

That by itself is normal. But what are the actual temperatures? Have you tried installing any temp monitors? Such as "RealTemp", "CoreTemp", "HWMonitor"?

Griffolion

Distinguished
May 28, 2009
Erm from what i can gather from that fragmented explanation, that you bought an I5 Dell PC with a GTX 260, the temps are abnormally high which has been verified multiple times by outside companies and replaced for you yet the problem persists.

My advice is to ask Dell nicely to take your PC back and buy one from another, more reputable seller such as scan.co.uk.

So, if you've had the PC literally replaced, and the in-store tech confirms each time that the CPU is running too hot... then you need to buy something else.

It sounds as though perhaps this particular Dell setup isn't designed to adequately cool the i5-750 and or the GTX 260.

But as Griffolion hinted toward, there's not much information here (for instance, actual temperatures, etc). For instance:

At load CPU temps go up

That by itself is normal. But what are the actual temperatures? Have you tried installing any temp monitors? Such as "RealTemp", "CoreTemp", "HWMonitor"?

Solution
G

Thanks for the advice. Actual temps are 65c-70c on CPUs at load as shown by coretemp. I am inclined to get another comparable model. It surprises me that I'm not finding many other people online with this problem. Seems like I just have exactly the wrong combination of hardware to cause this problem as you suggested. GPU runs at 80c+ at load which I understand is normal.

G

Thanks for the advice. Actual temps are 65c-70c on CPUs at load as shown by coretemp. I am inclined to get another comparable model. It surprises me that I'm not finding many other people online with this problem. Seems like I just have exactly the wrong combination of hardware to cause this problem. GPU runs at 80c+ at load which I understand is normal.

G

It's a Studio XPS 8000. Actual temps are 65c-70c on CPUs at load as shown by coretemp. I am inclined to get another comparable model. It surprises me that I'm not finding many other people online with this problem. Seems like I just have exactly the combination of hardware to cause this problem. GPU runs at 80c+ at load which I understand is normal.

doive1231

Distinguished
Jul 17, 2007
Yes you say 60-65C is OK but balinore is having problems at this temp, graphics and sound problems and so has lost faith in the computer. Graphics card should be OK at 80C so I would ask Dell/Store tech kindly to try a better heatsink and fan and replace for free. Should do the trick.

The Windows index is definitely multithreaded.

What I'm saying though is that if it's having problems, the temp isn't the reason. 65C is not even close to being hot enough to actually cause errors. I'm not saying that nothing's wrong, just that balinore should perhaps investigate other causes.

G

The shop techs tested two XPS8000s for me (when I brought the PC back twice) and both times said they were running too hot under load. I think the problem is being caused by my particular configuration. I'm inclined at this point to agree with jerreece on this problem. Maybe the i5 just isn't the right CPU to run with a Geforce GTX260. I think I'm going to turn in the Studio XPS 8000 toward an upgrade: an i7 860 system with a bigger case and an extra fan. Hopefully this system will be a little more compatable with my GTX 260. The store is Micro Center and they have already agreed to the swap (plus the price difference) when I called today.

Honestly, I'm surprised they would say that unless it's getting much hotter than 65C. That having been said, I can't think of anything that would cause the symptoms you described. A new system should solve it regardless of what it is.

balinore

Distinguished
Jan 11, 2010

Thanks for your input. I think it was just because they saw the symptoms I described which sounded and looked like overheating and couldn't come up with a better explanation. It just seems that this particular setup is producing these problems. Therefore I think I'm going to go with another setup as I mentioned.