Sign in with
Your question

Which cooler for i5-2500K? Water/Air

Last response: in Overclocking
February 15, 2012 4:37:38 PM

I have a budget of about £100 on one, (hoping not to spend it all obviously).
Looking to overclock my standard i5-2500k, from 3.3Ghz (Current), so around 4.5Ghz or more if possible.
Please link me to UK sites, such as;
http://www.aria.co.uk
http://www.scan.co.uk
http://www.misco.co.uk

Thank-you. :hello: 

More about : cooler 2500k water air

a b K Overclocking
February 15, 2012 5:39:59 PM

You can easily overclock your i5 2500K to 4.7 GHZ. Mine was Overclocked to 4.7 GHZ with a Vcore of 1.35V and I'm using Cooler Master Hyper 212 Plus CPU Cooler.
a b à CPUs
a b K Overclocking
February 15, 2012 6:02:39 PM

if you use air then you need to make sure the cooler doesnt block any of your ram slots--especially if you use

ram with big heatsinks like corsair vengeance

i use corsair h80 sealed watercooler to allow free space around the ram sockets

had my 2600k up to 5.1ghz with it

running it now at 4865mhz on 1.4v

http://www.aria.co.uk/Products/Components/Cooling/Water...

or this air cooler is decent and not too expensive

http://www.aria.co.uk/Products/Components/Cooling/CPU+C...

this one gets great reviews and comes in different colours but expensive for an air cooler

http://www.scan.co.uk/products/phanteks-cpu-performance...

edit--the actual heatsink comes in different colours not just the fans if you like your pc in a certain colour

scheme

Related resources
February 16, 2012 12:53:40 AM

Unrecognised said:
I have a budget of about £100 on one, (hoping not to spend it all obviously).
Looking to overclock my standard i5-2500k, from 3.3Ghz (Current), so around 4.5Ghz or more if possible.
Please link me to UK sites, such as;
http://www.aria.co.uk
http://www.scan.co.uk
http://www.misco.co.uk

http://www.scan.co.uk/products/corsair-h100-hydro-serie...

I have this cooler with 2 additional 120mm fans operating in a push/pull exhaust setup out of my CoolerMaster HAF-X case.

I replaced the stock TIM paste with Arctic Silver 5

My room ambient temperature is around 23C

My i5-2500k is overclocked to 5.0ghz and I have idle temps around 28-31C

The load temperatures under Prime95 and LinX are around 68C

Temps while gaming (Battlefield 3) are around 50-55C

Hope this helps.
a b à CPUs
a b K Overclocking
February 16, 2012 2:29:50 AM

I use the H100 also and it is a real performer. H80 is a good purchase also, if you cannot fit the H100.
February 16, 2012 7:43:16 AM

Hmm, may actually consider the H100. I had it in mind at first, then wasn't too sure as I remember someone telling me its not all that great.
I have a Cooler Master Trooper Case will it fit?
And also, how do I 're-fuel' this water-cooler? Will I need to buy certain kind of 'water', how does it work? And I need Arctic Silver 5 for it to sit on the CPU?
Thank-you, sorry I'm quite new to all this 'water-cooling' and thermal pastes, as I've never actually used anything but standard paste which is always provided on standard coolers.
Thanks.
a b à CPUs
a b K Overclocking
February 16, 2012 7:52:42 AM

the corsair water coolers are prefilled and sealed

so you dont need to re-fuel any coolant

and yes you can use artic silver or similar

February 16, 2012 7:58:36 AM

Oh right, now I understand. I also just checked if the H100 Water-cooler fits the Cooler Master Trooper case, and from what I'm reading, it does. Hopefully, all will work out quite well.
Also, considering i7-2600k/2700k, just for the hyperthreading, as I will be rendering pretty soon.
Thanks for all the help!
a b à CPUs
a b K Overclocking
February 16, 2012 8:06:29 AM

on the top would be my choice
February 16, 2012 8:08:19 AM

Alright, thanks mcnumpty23.
a b à CPUs
a b K Overclocking
February 16, 2012 8:12:47 AM

the h100 does come with thermal paste applied

but if you want to use artic silver etc remove it and only use a very small amount of artic silver--if you go here

and pick your cpu it will tell you how to apply it

too much is as bad as too little

http://www.arcticsilver.com/intel_application_method.ht...
February 16, 2012 8:51:32 AM

Hmm, right I see.
Thanks for that mcnumpty23.
Just unsure about CPU wise now, what to get.
a b K Overclocking
February 16, 2012 1:10:07 PM

If your rendering does not make you $$, then stick with the i5-2500K.
February 16, 2012 1:17:18 PM

I guess that's sorted then.
Thank-you to everyone.
a c 80 à CPUs
a c 205 K Overclocking
February 16, 2012 2:30:33 PM

If 4500mhz is your 2500K overclock goal this cooler will give you exceptionally cool 24/7 temperatures at that clock. The cooler you keep it the longer it will last.
February 16, 2012 5:01:47 PM

Thanks for that 4ryan6.
I'm still thinking though.. its just a battle now between;
Noctua NH-D14 Dual Radiator Quiet CPU Cooler Vs. Corsair H100 Water-Cooler.
a b à CPUs
a b K Overclocking
February 16, 2012 8:24:41 PM

The H100 beats the best air coolers just by adding 2 more fans and making it a push/pull configuration. And I have not read one credible review that doesn't recommend the H100 at the end of the day.

There are just a few limits to the H100:

1) you need the space for a 240mm rad
2) you need to add at least 2 additional fans to get peak performance
3) you have to have the budget

I put budget last because even the top end air coolers are like $80+ (US anyway).

Plus there are numerous other benefits to factory sealed water cooling:

1) easier to install
2) opens more room for air flow
3) no need to buy and/or apply thermal grease
4) MUCH less stress on the mobo than a heavy top end air cooler.

Edit:

As for mounting, I have mine top mounted with fans pulling air into the case. 4 fans total in push/pull.

I mentioned above but you DO NOT need to apply thermal grease. The pre-applied stuff is high quality grease (Shin-Etzu, I think) and will perform great.

February 17, 2012 11:02:07 AM

Will Arctic Silver 5 be any better?
And when you say 4 fans, how exactly will I do this? Is there a video or image just to show how it will look since i'm unsure as to how it will fit.
Thanks.
a c 80 à CPUs
a c 205 K Overclocking
February 17, 2012 12:20:07 PM

Unrecognised said:
Thanks for that 4ryan6.
I'm still thinking though.. its just a battle now between;
Noctua NH-D14 Dual Radiator Quiet CPU Cooler Vs. Corsair H100 Water-Cooler.

Unrecognised said:
Will Arctic Silver 5 be any better?
And when you say 4 fans, how exactly will I do this? Is there a video or image just to show how it will look since i'm unsure as to how it will fit.
Thanks.

Consider this; What happens when the pump fails on the Corsair H100 vs fan failure on the Noctua NH-D14, the Noctua will still passively cool, worst case you'd have to lower the overclock until you replaced the fan, when the Corsair pump fails so does it's cooling capability period.

The Noctua NH-D14 comes with NT-H1 a very good thermal compound which was in the thermal compound roundup check sig link.

I used a Noctua NH-D14 in the cooling fan roundup (also see sig) in passive mode as my control numbers, in the performance temperature testing, it fully supported under Prime95 load an AMD 965BE overclocked to 3900mhz, without a single fan on it.
a b à CPUs
a b K Overclocking
February 17, 2012 4:27:30 PM

When mounting the 4 fans, it really depends on your case. One method for the HAF X is to mount the four fans to the rad and then mount the whole unti to the inside top of the case. This is a vid showing that set up:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4vk6XfI4BpE

Another method for the HAF X (which I use) is to mount the bottom two fans to the rad then mount the rad to the inside top of the case. Then add the two fans to the outside top of the case.

But really, your case will determine what cooler options you have. Both air and water coolers are limited by space.

Which case are you interested in or which case do you have now?

Edit:

The H100 uses high quality pre applied TIM. I believe that I read it was Shin-Etzu. There is really no need to use your own paste.
February 17, 2012 4:51:44 PM

I'm considering the Cooler Master Trooper.
I still don't quite understand where i'll be fitting these 2 extra fans to push air out.

Also, considering the air cooling, I'm not too sure about it. I'm not quite a fan of air, as it may be quite 'unreliable', when ambient temperature is high. (Bedroom).
What chance would there be of the H100 failing?

I will be overclocking for sure (Just I'm still quite concerned to get the i7-2600k, or the i5-2500k. Hyperthreading seems like something that I may require, and is temping. Also, games will begin to use the technology too?).
Thanks!
a b à CPUs
a b K Overclocking
February 17, 2012 5:09:24 PM

Unrecognised said:
I'm considering the Cooler Master Trooper.
I still don't quite understand where i'll be fitting these 2 extra fans to push air out.

Also, considering the air cooling, I'm not too sure about it. I'm not quite a fan of air, as it may be quite 'unreliable', when ambient temperature is high. (Bedroom).
What chance would there be of the H100 failing?

I will be overclocking for sure (Just I'm still quite concerned to get the i7-2600k, or the i5-2500k. Hyperthreading seems like something that I may require, and is temping. Also, games will begin to use the technology too?).
Thanks!

The Trooper has room to mount a 240mm rad to the top of the case. I can't find any pics of the case with the top off, but if it is like the HAF X, you will have a 200mm fan mounted to the outside of the case frame but underneath that top plastic piece.

If so, you mount like this:

--Fan-- --Fan--
======================= Case
------------------ Rad
--Fan-- --Fan--

Or, if you don't have space between the frame and outside piece, you mount like this:

======================== Case
--Fan-- --Fan--
------------------- Rad
--Fan-- --Fan--

Regarding pump failure, I have ever experienced a failure and don't hear about it happening that often. I would defer that question to someone who has more knowledge of custom water cooling pumps. It would most likely be less than pump failures in custom cooling I think (more room for user error in custom set ups and you don't have to bleed air out of factory sealed units).

Even if the pump does fail, you would BSOD and shutdown. I have never had to use it, but I have only heard good things about Corsair's customer service.
February 17, 2012 5:22:16 PM

Alright then, thank-you for quite a single 'template' image, now I understand.
Also, regarding the pump, I suppose H100 is the preferable solution.
Thanks!
a b à CPUs
a b K Overclocking
February 17, 2012 5:24:16 PM

yw and have fun with it :) 
February 17, 2012 5:29:44 PM

Just out of curiosity, what's your build :) ?
a b à CPUs
a b K Overclocking
February 17, 2012 5:36:19 PM

I just finished my second actually.

1st:

HAF X
Asus P8P67 WS Revolution
i5 2500k
Powercolor HD 6950 2GB (waiting on Xfire)
H100 :) 

2nd is more of a work in progress:

Corsair 650D
Asus P8Z68-V Gen3
i5 2500k
using cpu graphics until next wave of GPU prices hits :) 
Xigmatek Gaia sd1283 (until I hit a deal on another H100 :D  )
February 17, 2012 6:02:44 PM

Aha, well that's pretty cool!
I may be considering CPU graphics, 3000 HD Intel, till the new 'wave' of GPU prices too :p .
Also, what do you think is beter, Haf X, the Trooper, or 650D?
Thanks!
a b à CPUs
a b K Overclocking
February 17, 2012 6:19:04 PM

Well...

Case selection is always subject to personal tastes. So, there will be many opinions on this one.

The main things for me are:

1) budget
2) airflow
3) space for components plus a little extra
4) style (totally subjective lol)
5) extra features
6) how long are you planning on using it (if you are planning on keeping the case through multiple builds, choose one that you REALLY like)

Its more about what you want/need than anything else. I wanted a lot of room both for airflow and for adding future components. Also, I needed some sort of air filtering because of the dust in my work area. Both of the cases that I have do have those things.

As long as the case does what you want it to do, and has a little extra room and good airflow, you are good.

I think that your choice is fine. But really it depends on what your plans for it are.
February 17, 2012 6:32:56 PM

1) Well budget wise, they all roughly the same, so I don't mind.
2) Airflow, which is best :) ?
3) Which has more space?
4) Well style wise, I think the 650D and Trooper have a larger chance of 'stealing my
heart'.
5) From my understanding, I think the Trooper has more features?
6)I'm looking to keep it for pretty long, will be upgrading in future years to come.

I like both cases, but which would YOU choose on your next build, and why?
Got mixed feelings for both, IMHO.
a b à CPUs
a b K Overclocking
February 17, 2012 6:47:48 PM

Tough call... but the Trooper is looking mighty good to me. Why:

1) Price point= advantage Trooper
2) airflow looks comparable or maybe advantage=Trooper
3) Space looks like advantage Trooper, but very close
4) Style points are about equal or maybe slight advantage 650D
5) Features... hmmm this is really a subjective call, because you don't want to pay for something that you don't need or plan to use in the future. But for me... I like the Trooper. Why?

lol Edit:

5) (cont.) lol

Why?

a) including that mobo power cable extension is a seriously under looked advantage (I would have made it sleeved in black though). I had to work a bit at getting that cable to the mobo in the 650D. An extension would have just been sooo much more convenient. And for people who have even shorter PSU cables, this is a great feature. I can only imagine the feeling if someone was doing their first build and then couldn't reach t he connector on the mobo because of a short cable. :( 
b) removable HDD cages. This is the space saver of both cases, allowing for those really long GPUs.
c) I prefer the vent on the side over a window (more airflow, doesn't get scratched and looks better imo)
d) the huge cutout in back of the cpu is a serious advantage (Both have this)
e) Cable management is adequate
February 17, 2012 6:55:37 PM

I just wanted another persons point of view between the two cases.
I think I'm leaning towards the Trooper, it just's seems more.. robust.
Also has a nice quality look to it, and the buttons, and all the design just looks much more attractive that the 'bold' 650D. Plus, knowing its a step down from the 800D, I would feel depressed :p .

Another consideration is the CPU. i5-2500K over the i7-2600K. Price wise, i5 is considered, though for the extra hyperthreading, im leaning towards the i7. BFBC2, i've read seems to be hyperthreading 'enabled', so will be a '+' in that case?
a b à CPUs
a b K Overclocking
February 17, 2012 7:02:58 PM

edited the above

I hit tab and submitted it too early (fat fingers lol)
February 17, 2012 7:11:29 PM

Lmao, and I see what you mean.
So I've got the Case sorted out for sure now!
a b à CPUs
a b K Overclocking
February 17, 2012 7:18:50 PM

yw :) 
February 17, 2012 7:26:24 PM

How do I select best answer :) ?
a b à CPUs
a b K Overclocking
February 17, 2012 7:30:50 PM

should be lower right hand of the post.
February 17, 2012 7:32:09 PM

Hmm, I cannot see it. Must be because I'm still new to the forums, a 'Youngster'.
Would have granted you it however :p .
a b à CPUs
a b K Overclocking
February 17, 2012 7:32:50 PM

ty for that :) 
February 17, 2012 7:59:11 PM

No, thank-you :) .
!