Sign in with
Your question

Questions.

Last response: in Motherboards
April 16, 2010 4:46:23 PM

Hello,
I'm new to the whole are of technology. I recently got a job at a computer store where I was asked to do some research on Motherboard and Memory Compatibility and write a paper on the subject. I believe the information is suppose to go onto a site. Now, I am really good at researching and writing. I just don't know exactly what I"m suppose to be writing about and what kind of data I should be collecting. any suggestions?

More about : questions

a c 109 V Motherboard
April 16, 2010 7:57:04 PM

For starters you could discuss the different types of memory:
Storage: Physical space allocated for saving data
ROM: Read Only Memory - a type of storage media used in computers
RAM: Random Access Memory - integrated circuits that allow stored data to be accessed in any order

Next you could go on to describe the differences between DDR, DDR2, & DDR3:
Aside from the physical difference in the amount of pins, the data transfer rates increase as the DDR's increase. The gist of the difference is that the DDR2 offers higher bus speed and requires lower power by running the internal clock at one quarter the speed of the data bus. Likewise for DDR3 vs. DDR2.

As for the compatabilty concern, you must also be aware that a DDR2 motherboard will not support, physically, DDR RAM. However, some DDR3 RAM motherboards are backwards compatible, as DDR3 is also 240-pins( DDR2 has 240 pins).

Compatability isses don't stop at just the DDR requirement, meaning you can have processor-specific RAM modules. Because Intel's new(er) family of CPU's operate at such a low voltage, some RAM manufacturers will design their RAM modules specifically for use with said Intel CPU chips. Take for example the i7 chip. Intel states that volting your RAM higher than 1.65v can damage your CPU, so in this case you may want to consider purchasing and installing RAM specifically designed for use with the Intel i7 series.

Of course, what I've mentioned is just the tip of the iceberg, but its a start.

Good luck.
m
l
!