Completing my build - Need advise on which MB & Video Card

Rogue77777

Distinguished
Feb 26, 2007
Thanks in advance for your feedback.

I'm going to complete my build this weekend. Will be used for 50% Gaming & 50% Work (SQL base Applications)
Parts already have:
Processor: I7 - 975 - I know overkill, but I got it for $600 Retail :sol:
Ram: Patriot 6gig DDR3 Pc2000 Viper Series - Never had a problem with them for over 6 year and running.
Case: HAF932
Power Supply: 850 Modular Ultra X3 - Rma an old 600w p/s I got while doing some work from someone. Had it now for about 6 months as a backup, but never used. Still in Box
Hard Drives: Seagate Barracuda 500gb main - Seagate Barracuda 1.5TB Storage (Both Sata)
DVD Rom: 24x Lightscribe (Sata)
Windows 7 64bit Pro OEM
Monitor: Dell 24' @ 1920 by 1200
Microsoft Wireless Keyboard & mouse

Buying from Newegg or Amazon.

My question is that I'm confused between which mother board & video card I should get?
I like Gigabyte and I'm looking at either the GA-X58A- UD5 ($260.00) or UD7 (350.00). Both come with usb 3.0 & sata 6
The only different is tht the UD5 has a "Advanced 12+2+2 power phase design" & the UD7 has a "Advanced 24+2+2 power phase design".
I do plan on overclocking it to 3.8Ghz for now and maybe 4Ghz later. Remember 50% Gaming & 50% Work, so it has to be 100% stable.

My other question is about which video card I should get?
I like Nvidia 400 series, but don't want to spend more than $450. I'm also looking at ATI 5870. I don't need their Eye Candy cards series either. Will add a second card. Date to be determined

Once again, thank you for your feedback :love:

Solution
Motherboard - I wouldn't pay a huge premium for very little benefit (no performance benefit). You should just read customer reviews for each board at places like NCIX. If they are both nearly identical, I'd get the one that costs the least.

Graphics card:
The HD5xxx cards are far, far quieter. For example, the HD5870 uses about 27Watts in Idle mode and the 480 uses about 60Watts. There is a VAST difference under full load too with the NVidia 470/480 cards being way too noisy.

If you absolutely need NVidia for CUDA or PhysX then you have no choice but I strongly recommend the ATI cards.

I'd recommend the HD5870.

bilbat

Splendid
nVidias look :ouch: good, but remains to be seen if there will be any to ship to, say, more than one customer in a hundred... Also, if going with anything but EVGA's WC'd 400s, budget for a goodly collection of case fans...

Motherboard - I wouldn't pay a huge premium for very little benefit (no performance benefit). You should just read customer reviews for each board at places like NCIX. If they are both nearly identical, I'd get the one that costs the least.

Graphics card:
The HD5xxx cards are far, far quieter. For example, the HD5870 uses about 27Watts in Idle mode and the 480 uses about 60Watts. There is a VAST difference under full load too with the NVidia 470/480 cards being way too noisy.

If you absolutely need NVidia for CUDA or PhysX then you have no choice but I strongly recommend the ATI cards.

I'd recommend the HD5870.

Solution

TRENDING THREADS