Sign in with
Your question
Solved

CPU Cooler/Thermal Paste Install

Last response: in Systems
October 22, 2009 6:30:08 PM

I received all the components for my 1st build ever (ordered/delivered from Newegg) and I have been dry/test fitting everything to familiarize myself with the parts/mounting options/fittment/clearences/etc... and I am now ready to begin the final build :bounce: 

My question is... when installing the CPU cooler and thermal paste do I apply the paste (Gelid GC-Extreme) / mount the cooler (Scythe Mugen 2) / remove the cooler to check paste coverage / and then remount cooler without cleaning and starting over?

-or-

Do I apply the paste / mount the cooler / and assume paste coverage is fine since Gelid application instructions recommends spreading the paste with the plastic applicator supplied?

Many of the paste/cooler install tutorials on-line show the cooler being removed after the CPU and cooler have been mated. I assume this is shown just for the purpose of the tutorial and not is not an actual part of the installation procedure

I want to know if this is considered good practice or not required and/or recommended

any input is greatly appreciated

Best solution

October 22, 2009 7:10:20 PM

Your first thought is right install it properly [no more than the thickness of a cigarette paper],i usually put it on the hsf's surface,but either will do,you need to remember that the purpose of the tim is to fill the microholes between the two metal surfaces,after all were not greasing an axle here..:) 
October 22, 2009 7:21:47 PM

dokk2

So you are saying do not lift and check, correct?

I understand and agree with your comment about the amount of TIM to apply... love the axle analogy :sweat: 
October 30, 2009 1:20:28 AM

Correct as the tim is thin and not too runny the last thing you want to do is disturb it once installed,because the heat acts upon it to further increase the [bond as it were] between the two surfaces...:) 
!