USB charge for iPad

palavering

Distinguished
Feb 13, 2010
I bought an iPad and I read that by downloading a Gigabyte patch: charge on/off.exe: and installing it that I'd be able to recharge the battery for my iPad. I did the above and it still won't charge. The on/off name seems to indicate that I might have to turn on something. Anyone got an idea or an answer. My MOBO is a P55A-UD4P.
Thanks. :ange:

Solution
Well, I've done a bit of hunting, and can't find diddly-squat for documentation regarding the B10.0413.1 patch - only thing of note I've found so far is the warning to use the latest BIOS update (which, for your board is F9v; and, of course, no BIOS changelog note about the matter - am I surprised? [:isamuelson:8] )!

bilbat

Splendid
Well, I've done a bit of hunting, and can't find diddly-squat for documentation regarding the B10.0413.1 patch - only thing of note I've found so far is the warning to use the latest BIOS update (which, for your board is F9v; and, of course, no BIOS changelog note about the matter - am I surprised? [:isamuelson:8] )!

Solution

palavering

Distinguished
Feb 13, 2010

Well, you did better than I. I am running with F8. I'll flash the bios and we'll see. Interestingly, perhaps, I got the MOBO about a month ago; since that time, I've gone from F4 to F8. I also learned that Gigabyte's 3-year warranty begins when they build the MOBO, not when the end-user purchases it. Now, ain't that a pickle. A MOBO that I RMA'd was treated as two years old. I had purchased it two weeks earlier!

Thanks for the head's up!

UPDATE: I flashed the BIOS successfully. Now have F9v version that you found. I reinstalled the patch, but nothing has changed. I can't find the patch listed anywhere; not in programs and features or anywhere else. I don't see any changes in my BIOS screens, either. I'll keep this thread updated. Thanks, again.

palavering

Distinguished
Feb 13, 2010

I, again, want to thank you for your speedy reply and sharing your knowledge. I happened upon this forum by chance, but this is going to be my first and last stop now. The Gigabyte form/UK is slow to respond and not very informative. This is a dream-come-true!

palavering

Distinguished
Feb 13, 2010

Why is this problem marked solved? It didn't solve my charging problem; the iPad charges for a moment, then reverts to "not charging." I updated BIOS to F9v and installed the charge on/off file ( ran the exe. inside Windows. Didin't think I should use Qflash, right?).

bilbat

Splendid
Correct - no 'flash'; but, it should have 'installed' something, and my guess is you've got, somehow' to 'diddle with' whatever it did install, to get the charge to work (if it will at all - debatable at this point [:fixitbil:9])... If you can't find it in your 'all programs' section of the start menu, I'd try running the .exe again, and carefully 'watching' the install itself, to see if you can 'catch' what, or where it's installing. I already tried it here on a few OSs, but as I haven't the BIOS 'stub' for it, all I get are various error messages!

palavering

Distinguished
Feb 13, 2010

Wherever it installs, it happens too quickly for me to see it. I am, however, at this moment, trying to charge it again. This time, I have the backlight off, so I'm hoping that it'll charge because there is less energy consumption involved. I should have thought of this consideration some time ago. My bad (this slang coming from a 70 year old!). I'll let you know in five minutes. Obviously, with no backlight, I can't look and see if it's charging. If I wait, I can check the percentage of charge available. It was at 12% when I connected it to my PC.
I shall return!

I have returned and the iPad is now charging as I write these words. It has gone from 12% to 15% in just a few minutes. Now the problem can be marked as solved. This is sick! (the new word for cool!).

qhorque

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2008
My GA-EP45-UD3R does not charge anything with the PC OFF. However it does charge whatever is plugged in when the PC is on. I have never seen a motherboard not provide power to a chargeable device when on. In fact, no motherboard prior to the Gigabyte ever failed to provide power (most of them also provided power when the PC was off) and none of them required a patch or extra utility.

Are you sure the USB ports being used are connected correctly? Are they actually receiving proper power? Have you tried all the USB connectors on the entire board? Are you using ports ON the motherboard or via internal cables connected to a computer case?

This one just sounds odd to me.

palavering

Distinguished
Feb 13, 2010

Sorry, but you may be ill-informed. 1) of course, if the PC is off, nothing can be charged. 2) The iPad requires extra voltage that most MOBOs can't provide. 3)Gigabyte has a workaround (see above for details), but it is not inclusive of all its MOBOs, but will work with about 40 models. When I wrote that I had to turn off the backlight, I assumed you knew that I meant the backlight on the iPad. I hope this clarifies my position and statement.

Note: The instructions that come wrapped with a new iPad inform the user that the iPad can't be charged using a USB port on a PC. Some Giagbyte MOBOs can successfully address this issue as stated previously.

Here's some links so you can educate yourself:

http://en.ocworkbench.com/tech/gigabyte-first-with-motherboard-ipad-recharging-capability/

http://www.maximumpc.com/article/news/gigabyte_solves_ipad_charging_issue

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT4060

http://www.tomshardware.com/news/ipad-charging-not-charging-usb-ipad-charger,10171.html

qhorque

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2008

I'd have to say experience shows me that this is not true. I have been charging my iPod for 3 years on my old computer which, when shut off, still applied enough power to the USB ports. No, it wasn't in suspend or hibernate, or any other mode. It was off and the iPod still charged overnight. This does not happen on the Gigabyte. Clearly there's no power applied to the USB ports on their boards when off.

Fair enough. I did not know there was a peculiarity with or extra power requirements for the iPad. However, I will continue to stand by my assertion that some motherboards will indeed charge devices connected to the USB ports when the computer is off. Likely the "USB Legacy Support" item in the BIOS which I probably have set to disabled.

palavering

Distinguished
Feb 13, 2010

I'm happy to know that you stand by your assertion. I don't know that you're wrong in stating that some boards supply voltage to USB ports when power is turned off.
Thanks.

TRENDING THREADS