matthew_nicho2

Distinguished
Jul 10, 2008
Hi all, I need some advice on cooling for my case. I built it at xmas with some new and some newish parts. the CPU gets to 48-52°c full load but in speedfan temp2 (witch I think is cpu ambient) reaches 60°c. I want to eventually overclock the hell out of it but it seems a bit hot already.

I have a 120mm intake front bottom, 120mm back exhaust, 80mm intake on side panel, noctua c14 with both fans on and a gpu exhaust fan (not in pic). all the fans a bog standard quiet (1800-2000 rpm) fans at full speed.

What else can I do to keep temps down without spending too much (noctua set me back a bit) and without making it sound like a train? GPU makes enough noise now.

Heres a pic of my rig: -

11h83ky.jpg

Specs: -

Gigabyte GA-870A-UD3
AMD Phenom II X4 970 (stock 3.5ghz)
Noctua C14 with AS5
ATI 6870 1GB (stock)
8GB Gskill ripjaws DDr3 1600
OCZ 750W ModXstream

I will post a speedfan pic tomorrow, any help appreceated

Solution
Your case is the problem.=top mount psu,no cable management,lack of fan mounts.
Simply adding an expensive cooler in a case with poor airflow is a mistake.
Cases with very good airflow general cost less then the pricey new cooler.
Your case is the problem.=top mount psu,no cable management,lack of fan mounts.
Simply adding an expensive cooler in a case with poor airflow is a mistake.
Cases with very good airflow general cost less then the pricey new cooler.

Solution

matthew_nicho2

Distinguished
Jul 10, 2008

Thanks for the reply, i thought that would be the case. I bought the Noctua for other reasons, mainly that my old Zalman 9700 was worn out ( ive used it in 3 different builds, great heatsink) and no matter how hard i try i couldn't make a quiet pc. Heard about Noctua and went for it. Also it looks fantastic!

As for cases i've had a look around and found the Antec One:-

http://www.antec.com/Believe_it/product.php?id=NzA0OTIz&lan=us

looks line a nice well made case, what do you think?

Yes it's definitely a step in the right direction.
Has a solid design with current feature set(USB3.0)
One 120 mm top exhaust fan
One 120 mm rear exhaust fan
One 120 mm front intake fan (optional)= do that!
i'd have a look at the One Hundred.
Lacks USB3.0 but offers better cooling options.
1 x top 140 mm TwoCool™ fan
1 x rear 120 mm TwoCool™ fan
2 x front 120 mm fans (optional) = do it!
I'll assume your budget is @$60.

matthew_nicho2

Distinguished
Jul 10, 2008

I did look at that one but I cannot find anywhere in the uk to buy. It seems to be out of stock everywhere. I would spend more but I got to get our phone line sorted as well.

Will most likley get the one hundred once I find a place to buy it. Thanks for your help, its good to get a second opinion.

matthew_nicho2

Distinguished
Jul 10, 2008

Thanks for that! didnt come accross those sites in my search. Will get the one hundred when im able.

Thanks again davcon!

jasont78

Distinguished
Feb 25, 2009
the brand of cooler u got is great although the design of that cooler is so 10 years ago and are only to be used if your case doesnt have the width to accomodate a tower cooler eg. on a htpc case. tower coolers are much more efficient especially if you dont have the best air flow as they would throw all the heat straight out the back of your case through your rear case fan instead of recirculating it throughout your case. by doing this it is heavily increasing the ambient temp inside your case hampering its ability to cool your sh!t. with a little cable management and a tower cooler you would have been fine. i have all my stuff in an old case similar layout 6950 and a 2500k @ 4.8 with a 30 buck hyper 212 which never goes far over 50c in australian summer with most days around 30c, so yeah its not as efficient as bottom mount psu, but they are still very capable if setup well! :pt1cable:

matthew_nicho2

Distinguished
Jul 10, 2008
Well finally got the case and it looks and works great! CPU and case temps are down by almost 10°c. I got to get a PSU cable extender because mines not long enough to go around the back of the case but I've tied that up out the way for now.

Again great suggestion on the case davcon! Much Appreciated!

Glad to be of assistance!
Nice temp drop!
Cheers:)