Overclocking fx 4100 problems

kyle1015

Distinguished
Feb 15, 2012
hey,
having problems overclocking my cpu... been reading about other people having problems doing the same thing, and from what it sounds like is a power issue that needs to be adjusted but im not sure what to do...

every time i try to overclock from the auto settings, even just a teeny bit, when it restarts my computer goes black. i have to do a hard restart to get it to boot back up, and says overclocking failed... restore defaults, da da da...

i have an fx 4100 with an asus mb m5a88-m, 16gb ddr3. any help would be appreciated, i am not super good with this type of thing, so try to not get too technical with me if u can :\

there are two ways that i can that i have noticed to overclock the cpu... one way is to adjust down a menu of clock speeds, ranging up to 6000 mhz... and the other way is to overclock by percentages - 2, 5, 8, 10 %... but that also overclocks the memory, which is fine if i have to, but i didnt really care about that. all i wanted to do was overclock the cpu, but if i can overclock the memory, that would be fine too, but like i said, not my first priority.

thanks,
any help would be appreciated.

rage33

Distinguished
Apr 18, 2010
reset back to all your default settings and start from scratch. The FX-4100 is an unlocked CPU, which means that the multiplier can be adjust significantly higher that the stock number, which is 15 (I think). Slowly adjust this mulitplier and run a program called Prime95 (google it) and run a blend test for 15 or so min, if it doesn't crash then you can restart your computer and raise the multiplier again until it finally fails then you can start to slowly raise the CPU voltage.

I strongly recommended that you read the OC tutorials on this forum and take your time. The FX-4100 does OC very well and you should be able to get a good OC with relativity little effort. Also make sure you have a decent cooler and use the BIOS or EUFI and not Overclocking software.

kyle1015

Distinguished
Feb 15, 2012
tried messing around with it again and still having the same problems... like i said i dont see any multiplier... this is what im seeing...

under ai tweaker

cpu overclocking manual
cpu ratio auto - cant change
amd turbo core technology - enabled
turbo core ratio - auto - cant change
cpu/ht reference clock (mhz) - 200 - cant change
pcie frequency 100
dram frequence 1333 mhz (its actually 1600 mhz but dont know why it says that)
cpu/nb frequency - auto - (this is where i can change from 1400mhz-6000mhz) when i do anything it just goes black after restart.
ht link speed - 200mhz-2600mhz (havent changed cus i dont know what it is)
gpu booster - enabled
enhanced igpu speedstep - auto
gpu powersaving mode - disabled
oc tuner utility
dram timing configuration
dram driving configuration

then it goes to voltages, ill just tell u what they are just in case

cpu & nb voltage mode - offset
cpu offset voltage - 1.375 - auto
cpu/nb offset voltage - 1.250 - auto
cpu vdda voltage - 2.500 - auto
dram voltage - 1.490 (1.50000)
ht voltage - 1.200 - auto
nb voltage - 1.100 - auto
nb 1.8v voltage - 1.800 - auto
sb voltage - 1.100 - auto

so im still not sure what to do, since when i try to change anything above the default settings it wont boot up, just goes black and i have to do a hard restart, and then it tells me to change back to the default settings. any more help would be appreciated.

btw... when i bough the fx4100 and this mobo, they told me this configuration is easy to oc, but that is seeming not to be the case with me. if it helps any the bios version is 0505...

thanks

kyle1015

Distinguished
Feb 15, 2012

tried messing around with it again and still having the same problems... like i said i dont see any multiplier... this is what im seeing...

under ai tweaker

cpu overclocking manual
cpu ratio auto - cant change
amd turbo core technology - enabled
turbo core ratio - auto - cant change
cpu/ht reference clock (mhz) - 200 - cant change
pcie frequency 100
dram frequence 1333 mhz (its actually 1600 mhz but dont know why it says that)
cpu/nb frequency - auto - (this is where i can change from 1400mhz-6000mhz) when i do anything it just goes black after restart.
ht link speed - 200mhz-2600mhz (havent changed cus i dont know what it is)
gpu booster - enabled
enhanced igpu speedstep - auto
gpu powersaving mode - disabled
oc tuner utility
dram timing configuration
dram driving configuration

then it goes to voltages, ill just tell u what they are just in case

cpu & nb voltage mode - offset
cpu offset voltage - 1.375 - auto
cpu/nb offset voltage - 1.250 - auto
cpu vdda voltage - 2.500 - auto
dram voltage - 1.490 (1.50000)
ht voltage - 1.200 - auto
nb voltage - 1.100 - auto
nb 1.8v voltage - 1.800 - auto
sb voltage - 1.100 - auto

so im still not sure what to do, since when i try to change anything above the default settings it wont boot up, just goes black and i have to do a hard restart, and then it tells me to change back to the default settings. any more help would be appreciated.

btw... when i bough the fx4100 and this mobo, they told me this configuration is easy to oc, but that is seeming not to be the case with me. if it helps any the bios version is 0505...

thanks

kyle1015

Distinguished
Feb 15, 2012

no it wont let me change that from auto... i also did try to put everything in manual and try messing around with other things and it wont let me change it. earlier where i showed u what was in my bios, where it says oc tuner utility... when i do that, it just restarted my computer and instead of running at 3.6 ghz and memory at 1333 its now running at 3888 mhz and like 1440 mhz ram... so it did overclock it a little bit, but thats not enough, i wanted to do it more, or at least have the freedom to do whatever i want with it. like you said before, its an unlocked cpu, so i should be able to get a good range out of it.

at the top of the ai tweaker menu, there is some stuff greyed out, that i cant even highlight and change at all...

target turbo core frequency: 4104 mhz
target cpu frequency: 3888 mhz
target dram frequency 1440 mhz
(then it says)
This cpu does not support cpu level up function.
cpu level up: auto

all that is greyed out.

do you think it would help if i tried to update my bios? im sure its not the most current version, in fact i think its the original version from when the computer was built... (i didnt build it completely..) my buddy did, and i bought it from him and did some upgrades, like graphics card and more memory. he had never overclocked this cpu and we both have tried it...

when i downloaded the updated bios, it gave me a rom file. im not sure what to do with that in order to update my bios. any more help would be appreciated. hope im not bothering you too much, i just have no other help anywhere i can get. amd wont help me overclock it cus it says it voids the warrenty, even if i dont care about that. lol let me know what you think. thank you

kyle1015

Distinguished
Feb 15, 2012
now all i need to do, is learn how to update my bios... ugh

i got the updated file from asus, but i dont have the cd from my mobo... and the manual i downloaded wants me to flash it and use the internet to update it... now onto my next set of troubles

rage33

Distinguished
Apr 18, 2010
Put in your flash drive and extract the bios update that you downloaded onto the flash drive. You will need to extract it using winrar or 7zip or any software that unpacks files. Just Google and download they are free. Once its been extracted successfully to the flash drive restart your computer and enter the bios, go to EZ flash or bios update (whatever you're MB uses) and follow the directions. It will load new bios right off the flash drive. Then reboot and enjoy.

kyle1015

Distinguished
Feb 15, 2012

thats all i have to do is just load it onto this usb drive i have? its just a 4gig storage drive that plugs into my usb, so i can take files wherever right? i have had linux before on my laptop, i dont have to make the drive bootable do i? (i had to do that to load linux on my laptop after i installed a new hard drive) just load it on there and go into my bios and flash it? i use winrar btw... but ya all the same, something to extract the zip file.

kyle1015

Distinguished
Feb 15, 2012

ok ya you were right about how easy that was to update bios... even tho i did that, nothing has changed. my computer still goes black soon as i try to change the values the slightest... it still wont let me change the cpu ratio from auto. now, im really stumped. everyone i have talked to says this cpu is and should be super simple to oc, with very little effort... apparently not.

the only thing i can do is change the igpu to turbo, or extreme and use the oc tuner utility, and that only moves it to 3888 mhz. which im sure will be fine for whatever i am going to do, but still pissing me off. any other input would be great, sorry if im annoying you, i just have no one to help me do any of this stuff.

my last amd was the easiest in the world to oc, it had the multiplier just like that, and i could toggle it with absolutely no effort. i dont know why this is proving to be so freaking difficult.

rage33

Distinguished
Apr 18, 2010
does your motherboard have EUFI or standard BIOS? If your using the EUFI you should be able to change it to "advance mode" and it will operate more like a standard bios screen opposed to the simple click options that is default with the new EUFI. I know this is how my ASUS Sabertooth 990FX is setup, I just selected classic view or what ASUS called "Advanced mode" in the EUFI.

If you don't have EUFI, I am really stumped as well, I have never heard of a motherboard not having the ability to adjust all your settings manually....

kyle1015

Distinguished
Feb 15, 2012

i think its just a standard bios, i dont see any eufi, or know if i have it... i kind of have the issue solved... i only wanted to take the cpu to around 4200 mhz... and where it says... enhanced igpu speedstep, i turned that to turbo instead of auto (there is an extreme option too,) and then i hit the oc tuner utility and it overclocked my cpu to like 4150 mhz and says target turbo speed (or something) 4380 mhz... so it did overclock using the oc tuner utility... but i should be able to manually adjust it to whatever i want... o well i guess... i am getting what i wanted out of it now, i just am super stumped. before i turned the igpu to turbo, when it was on auto and i hit the oc tuner utility, it only took it to like 3888 mhz. like i said, now that i changed that, i am getting pretty much what i wanted. i should be able to have the freedom to adjust it to whatever i want, being an unlocked processor.

to be honest, i really didnt need to overclock it anyway, because i run mw3 and battlefield 3 at ultra high settings, and never get a glitch out of it with the standard cpu settings... i have the msi twin frozer ii 6950 2gb memory, so it runs everything flawless... but in the future when i need the extra speed out of the cpu, i want it. o well i guess, im getting what i wanted now. i think for my next built i might go intel instead of amd lol. or maybe do some good research on what board i want. thanks for all of your help, i really wish we could have figured it out, i really appreciate it.

rastinder

Distinguished
Nov 23, 2011
use turbo v evo to overclock u r processor you can find it in motherboard cd ,if not then download it
if u only want to overclock for playing games then just :-
enhanced igpu speedstep - auto (put it to extreme or manual and set it on 900 dont exceed above 909 otherwise it will crash)
if overclocking failed is written then just press f1 f10 then enter it works always on correct settings)

bernardblack

Honorable
Aug 20, 2012

I have this mainboard and issue as well. Mainboard: M5A88-M.

When I first fired things up, it showed me the default/ Auto CPU Ratio and the Default FSB/ HT speed, and the default Turbocore Multiplier. As of loading defaults a couple days ago, these have all disappeared. BTW I found out a small work around to change the multiplier when this happens, as you have likely found, entering + or - to up / reduce the value only puts a + or - in said field. You can, however hold down Shift and hit + or - and it will alter the value but it takes forever this way.

TXZN

Honorable
Oct 5, 2012

Just in case you still haven't figured it out, you need to disable the AMD turbo core technology.