Your question

Best ssd for old laptop

Last response: in Storage
September 7, 2011 1:07:25 PM

First, I have read this:
Best SSDs For The Money: August 2011

Nothing fit what I am trying to do.

Budget: $70
Purchase date: No rush, this week would be good.

Current drive:
Hitachi Travelstar HTS541080G9SA00

It is for this computer:

Dell Inspiron 6400/E1505 - shipping specs

They are only using 60 gigs of the drive(partitioned for something else not used now).

So, a 60 gig would be nice, but if we can get a 80 or even 120 that would rock. Luckily the current drive is Sata, so no adaptors needed. Running xp, so I would need something for trim, either the drive does it itself, or I set up a script to run automatically.

We don't need 3.0 or 6.0 Gbps, obviously. So I guess an older drive would do. Biggest concern is reliability.

I've been following ssds, but haven't had my hands on one yet.

Thank you for any help.

More about : ssd laptop

Related resources
a c 300 G Storage
September 7, 2011 11:53:14 PM

Anyone else? I know a better CPU from a worse one, but not SSDs. I bought mine for the price!
m
l
a b G Storage
September 8, 2011 12:17:59 AM

If you buy a 60GB drive, it will actually provide maybe 55GB of usable space. SSD's need to be kept about 20% empty to provide room for the wear-leveling algorythms to work, so now you are only able to use about 44GB of space. OTOH you can get the OS down to where it would fit within this, but it doesn't give you much room for data storage.
m
l
September 8, 2011 10:34:24 AM

cadder said:
If you buy a 60GB drive, it will actually provide maybe 55GB of usable space. SSD's need to be kept about 20% empty to provide room for the wear-leveling algorythms to work, so now you are only able to use about 44GB of space. OTOH you can get the OS down to where it would fit within this, but it doesn't give you much room for data storage.

Thank you, Cadder. You bring up a very good point; I forgot about the need to reserve space.

This is a very old build being used for presentation during service. I order the restore CDs from dell(dell was awesome and overnighted them for free without me asking; go buy a dell), but when I went to do a restore, discovered that the optical drive was bad.

So I did a cleanup(ccleaner, hijackthis, antivirus, auslogis defrag, disabled unneeded services) and it worked much better. Removing the viruses helped quite a bit.

If I get the SSD, I will do a clean install, and I am sure that we will be ok for space. Of course, I would love to put a 256G drive in there, but we don't have the funds right now.

Also, we can go to an external drive if need be. I have on old 500Gb sitting around; we could plug that in if we need to put a large file on there.
m
l
!