Screen flickering with 8700M GT

Status
Not open for further replies.

BrianF

Distinguished
Jul 20, 2009
i have an 8700M GT Nvida graphics card in my laptop. Toshiba Satelite x205-S9359. and i am running windows 7. i upgraded the graphics card driver from nvidia and now every once in a while, couple times a minute, my screen flickers.
does anyone know how to resolve this? i have tried installing and older version of the driver but the flickering stays. the only way i've been able to find to fix the flickering is to reformat my computer.

BrianF

Distinguished
Jul 20, 2009
it is a driver problem i know almost for certain because i was using a driver for the desktop version of the graphics card and when i installed the driver for the notebook version which is what i'm using, my screen starts flickering every once in a while
the only reason why i switched was because my frame rates in games was getting destroyed. like 5 FPS when i should be getting like 40+ and when i switched to this driver my FPS went back to normal but screen flickers every once in a while

Well i have heard about it with Geforce 8xxx series that sometimes installing desktop driver helped users,so if you have problems with the notebook driver try the desktop versions
http://www.laptopvideo2go.com/
In this site it lets you to download a desktop driver and use it for notebook

BrianF

Distinguished
Jul 20, 2009
that's what i origin did and it worked great. but recently it raped my FPS on everything. After i install the notebook version though, even if i install the desktop version back on, i still have the flickering with the screen =[ the only way i've been able to get rid of that has been reformating which i really don't want to do again for a month or so

Sunshine Band

Distinguished
Nov 24, 2009
Same here. I'm using X200-A00 (Canadian Version) and the screen keeps flickering once in a while. This seems to be definately driver issue, and NVIDIA should admit and rectify this ASAP. As you know, Toshiba doesn't release 64bit version of Win 7 driver for this video chipset yet. I will try the desktop version thanks to you guys.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

No Luck with Desktop Driver. but I found this link and works well;
http://forums.laptopvideo2go.com/topic/25004-geforce-8700m-gtwindows-7-x64-ultimate

Have a try.

G

The problem you'r having is due to the powermizer feature, changing the speed of the GPU clock.

You just need to disable powermizer, or better, select a fixed performance level which matches your needs.

Here you have one app to do so:

http://somemorebytes.com/wp/index.php/nvpmmanager/

Hope it helps.

G

^ That last post helped! I fixed the performance level and all the flickering went away. Thanks!!

I will continue to monitor this and if I do notice any issues I will repost.

nz_flyboy

Distinguished
Oct 14, 2011

I had this problem with the updated Nvidia driver from www.laptopvideo2go.com
I 'upgraded' my Vista operating system back to XP. Seems many people have had this flickering problem no matter what OS they were running, but ONLY on the Toshiba x205. The last official Toshiba driver which worked was the 186.42 (for Vista). Subsequent drivers like the 270.61 with the modded nv4_disp.inf produced display flickering.
So to solve the problem I down updated my driver back to the one prior to the last official Toshiba release 186.34 and my flickering stopped.

THEN I found on the Toshiba site, in January 2011 they released an updated the ACPI Flash BIOS version for Satellite P205/X205 family to v2.7- which includes a fix for 'abnormal horizonatal lines in windows 7'. See:
http://www.csd.toshiba.com/cgi-bin/tais/support/jsp/modelContent.jsp?ct=DL&os=&category=&moid=1854872&rpn=PSPB9U&modelFilter=&selCategory=2756709&selFamily=1073768663

So I updated my Bios, and rolled my driver back to the 270.61 and my flickering stayed gone.

I strongly suspect Toshiba have woken up to all the flicking problems people have been having with the X205/ Nvidia 8700M GT combination and fixed their Bios. Give it a try.

Status
Not open for further replies.