Too much Overclocking

Samtastic06

Distinguished
Feb 13, 2012
Alrighty folks, i have just made an upgrade on my system components, i recently got an MSI A75MA-G55 AMD A Series Socket FM1 Motherboard and an AMD Quad-Core A8-3870K 3.0GHz Radeon HD 6550D APU. this system is performing way above my standards, and ive only had a few glitches, but thats because of my operating system. My main question is that of overclocking, In my BIOS i have enabled the OCGENIE that comes with my board, and my cpu went from 2.9Ghz(supposed to me 3.00, unless its the same) to 3.31 Ghz. the system is running really smooth, performing better than i thought. So my question is, do i keep it overclocking all of the time, even if im just browsing, and not doing too much of anything, or should i turn it down when im not doing gaming or multitasking? And if i should shut it down while not putting extensive strain on my cpu, are there any programs that i could download that would allow me to change all of that on desktop, instead of going to BIOS? I do have SpeedFan, and MSI Afterburner, but to be completely honest, i have not touched any setting on Afterburner because im not too sure what it all does, so to not Eff up my system, i have not touched anything. And as a later thought, when i enabled my OCGENIE, it did all the calculations automatically, i changed nothing. Thank you, and i appreciate any comments and help.

Solution
That's pretty freaking low... what kind of heat sink/fan do have on it?? the stock one??

If you're idle is truly below about 40c and you haven't even overvolted yet; I'd say just leave it at 3.3. You're system is not even stressing it. No way a motherboard "easy OC" would set your CPU to a point where it was dangerous or even on the upper end of its limits. I think you're fine, but just to improve the longevity of your purchase you may want to consider a nice $30 Cooler Master Hyper 212+ HSF. That'll keep your CPU cooler and theoretically it will last longer and be Happier :D

aqe040466

Distinguished
Nov 29, 2011

If 3.31 GHZ clock speed is stable as you said, then it can stay there for a long time. To tell the truth 3.3 GHZ is just the stock clock speed of i5 2500K. What is the idle temp of the CPU? What is the highest temp of the CPU when its full load? DOwn load the CPU-Z and H/W Monitor to know all about this at CPUID.COM for free.

Samtastic06

Distinguished
Feb 13, 2012
Right now my temps are as follows on Speedfan, 20-24 Degrees celsius for CPU, HDO is 28 Degrees Celsius and GPU is 8 degrees celsius. Also to be honest i havent really had it under stress, so those temps i cant give you an exact temp for. I have been looking for programs, and i will definitely download thos you posted now.

masterofevil22

Distinguished
May 13, 2010
That's pretty freaking low... what kind of heat sink/fan do have on it?? the stock one??

If you're idle is truly below about 40c and you haven't even overvolted yet; I'd say just leave it at 3.3. You're system is not even stressing it. No way a motherboard "easy OC" would set your CPU to a point where it was dangerous or even on the upper end of its limits. I think you're fine, but just to improve the longevity of your purchase you may want to consider a nice $30 Cooler Master Hyper 212+ HSF. That'll keep your CPU cooler and theoretically it will last longer and be Happier :D

Solution

aqe040466

Distinguished
Nov 29, 2011

If you don't plan to use your PC in heavily demanding games like skyrim, BF3 etc.., you don't neeed to stress the CPU buy running Prime95 or any other tools to test the stability and performance of it. Those temps you stated are idle temps, try running a short duration of Wprime choose 1024M to stress the cpu it will only run for about 5-10 min. and monitor the core temps in H/W monitor. And then tell me the highest temps you've observed.

Samtastic06

Distinguished
Feb 13, 2012
Alrighty, I am running the Wprime benchmark now so i will post my temps when it finishes. Now i do not know if it makes a huge difference, but my GPU is actually integrated, i have an APU processor, no individual graphics atm. I do play Reckoning, DCUO, Skyrim, etc, and atm i turned off my OC to 3.3, and it back to 2.99. I have all game son pretty high settings and have ZERo problems with them. When i say i upgraded, i mean i have this setup less thna a week now, so i dont know if that makes a difference, seeming almost every component is brand new. I tried Downloading a few OC programs, but my OS sucks, and i dont think all of my drivers are up to date, seeming the updates cant recognize the Windows xp logo, so one more issue. I am running MSI afterburner, but to be completely honest, it only lets me change my core clock and nothing else. So im a pretty much noob here, and im just trying to get all th einfo that would help me run my system effectively. So when this test is over i will post the stats on it for you.

Samtastic06

Distinguished
Feb 13, 2012
OK, so the wPrime benchmark test just got finished, and the highest temp in CPUID Hardware monitor ws 54 degrees clesius. When i look at my score it gives me this ( 1024M-477.359 sec(3000 MHz Llano LN1-BO*1. I have no clue what that means, but the highest temp i got was 54. When playing games it hovers around 45-50 Celsius when i have it monitored with Msi in game display. I dont know if the temps are even close to what the either are, or should be. The room i have the computer in varies, we keep it cool, but when my roomate jacks the heat it gets hotter in here. Thanks for the input, and hope the tad bit of info i gave you helps.

TRENDING THREADS