wendyd123

Distinguished
Sep 7, 2011
I am trying to clone my laytop hard drive to new hard drive using True Image and i am getting a "Fail to read from sector 43,604020 of hard disk"1"Direct R/W operation has failed(ox590001). how can I fix this error.

Is your drive healthy? Run chkdsk c: /f on the drive and see what it reports.

Edit:
Wow, how did I miss the part that read ""Fail to read from sector 43,604020"? In this case, running chkdsk probably won't hurt, but will most likely report the same error - bad sector. if it does manage to relocate the sector data, true image should complete ok.

JerRevo

Distinguished
Sep 7, 2011

Understand that the bad sectors are bad, if there was anything there it is gone now.

You will need to download a HDD diagnostic tool. The program doesn't really "repair" the sector, rather HDD's have a pool of spares.

Basically, the HDD is told information is in particular places, like directions. The "repair" tells the HDD those directions are no longer any good, use this sector instead. The HDD will no longer be trying to read from a bad sector and will continue your HDD clone.

You may want to try to download and burn the Ultimate Boot CD on another computer, yours has bad sectors and may potentially corrupt the cd image. It has a generic HDD test tool that may be able to repair sectors of your drive. I always prefer to try and get the manufacturer's version first.

If you're unsure of the manufacturer, you can look at the disk properties and google the model number, but it's pretty basic. STxxxx = seagate, Hxxxxx = hitachi and so on.