Dell optiplex gx620 hard drive upgrade

Status
Not open for further replies.

luar672000

Distinguished
Jan 9, 2010
i want to upgrade my dell optiplex gx620 sata hard drive from 80GB to 320GB? or i will add an additonal 250GB sataharddrive

Does anyone have experience with an upgrade of this kind?

hundredislandsboy

Distinguished
I 've owned one Dell in my life. I tried once to install a new hard drive and the Dell mobo BIOS kept looking for a certain partition. The fresh OS install worked and I got all the drivers to load properly. However, there was this prompt before POST that I could never get rid off.

No, never had a problem reformatting and installing a retail copy of Window's.

hundredislandsboy

Distinguished

You've never ran across Dell's proprietary BIOS that looks for a certain partition in the HD? For example, of you don't use Dell's recovery disk, wipe out the HD and treat the system as a PC clone system with a fresh OS install, you haven't seen the DELL prompt?

Run across Dell's propritary bios all the time, not getting away from that, but can't recall it looking for a certain partition. ( I reloaded 5 systems just last week )
The only time I can think of that I saw the "push F1 to continue " prompt is when a secondary hard drive had been removed. That's simple , disable the port.

hundredislandsboy

Distinguished
Thanks for the clarification. The push F1 was what I meant. It came up on me when I replaced the one and onlyhard drive my Dell system ame with. Annoying but workable. The other promt was the Dell motherboard woud look for a partition just for recovery purposes and then the message that it wasn't there. Of course it's not there because the only partition was the OS. Funny those Dells.

cgothicpenguin

Distinguished
Aug 14, 2011
Hi does anyone know what to do if my dell optiplex keeps on showing a "NO BOOT AVAILABLE PRESS F1 OR F2" sign i don't know whether it needs a new hard drive or wipe out the hard drive and how do u do that. please help. Thanks

shadowdarkmonster

Distinguished
Aug 5, 2011

its means that your pc does not detect a hdd to boot or there is no os installed on it. and what to do is check your bios settings on drivers if they are ok and check the cables connected on the hdd

Status
Not open for further replies.