Sign in with
Your question

E8500 Overclock Problems

Last response: in Overclocking
February 16, 2012 4:19:33 PM

Hi there,

I've been trying to overclock my E8500 for a while now and have been running into some problems, even after reading many articles here and on other websites too. I'm also aware that this is a slightly outdated CPU now but I've decided it's time for it to have a boost.
The PC in question is running XP pro with an Nvidia 790i SLI ultra motherboard.
Intel E8500
4GB DDR3 1600mhz RAM
Nvidia 9800 GX2 Graphics

I thought I had a good grip on the basics of overclocking by now but I'm still running in to problems.
As standard the CPU is running at 333mhz with a 9.5x multiplier giving it's 3.16ghz.
Using Nvidia's control panel I can increase the FSB of the CPU to 358 whilst leaving the multiplier as it is to give about 3.4ghz. However, any higher than this and it immediately crashes the PC or restarts it when I hit the apply changes. I've checked the temperatures under load at this speed and it's fine... mid 50 degrees.

Another side-problem I ran into was any changes made in the bios would reset after restarting the PC but that was fixed by a BIOS update. Doing this, however, has given new ratio options with the memory which doesn't include 1:1, only ratio's that are in favour of RAM... 5:8 FSB:RAM, for example.

I've also tried putting the multiplier down to 8x but everything crashes as soon as I try to apply an increase to FSB.
I've tried nudging voltages up slightly in case it was that, and unlinked the memory from FSB with a mixture of results.... all ending in either system crash or not booting at all.

Sorry there is a lot there and I've probably missed something out too but any help would be greatly appreciated - as would someone probably pointing out the silly mistake I'm undoubtedly making in there.

EDIT: I forgot to add that cooling shouldn't be a problem in the system as the CPU has about the best heatsink/fan I could get for it at the time without going to liquid cooling and the RAM has a dedicated heatsink and fan.

Thanks,
Joe
a b à CPUs
a b K Overclocking
February 16, 2012 10:53:39 PM

Jozzle said:
Hi there,

I've been trying to overclock my E8500 for a while now and have been running into some problems, even after reading many articles here and on other websites too. I'm also aware that this is a slightly outdated CPU now but I've decided it's time for it to have a boost.
The PC in question is running XP pro with an Nvidia 790i SLI ultra motherboard.
Intel E8500
4GB DDR3 1600mhz RAM
Nvidia 9800 GX2 Graphics

I thought I had a good grip on the basics of overclocking by now but I'm still running in to problems.
As standard the CPU is running at 333mhz with a 9.5x multiplier giving it's 3.16ghz.
Using Nvidia's control panel I can increase the FSB of the CPU to 358 whilst leaving the multiplier as it is to give about 3.4ghz. However, any higher than this and it immediately crashes the PC or restarts it when I hit the apply changes. I've checked the temperatures under load at this speed and it's fine... mid 50 degrees.

Another side-problem I ran into was any changes made in the bios would reset after restarting the PC but that was fixed by a BIOS update. Doing this, however, has given new ratio options with the memory which doesn't include 1:1, only ratio's that are in favour of RAM... 5:8 FSB:RAM, for example.

I've also tried putting the multiplier down to 8x but everything crashes as soon as I try to apply an increase to FSB.
I've tried nudging voltages up slightly in case it was that, and unlinked the memory from FSB with a mixture of results.... all ending in either system crash or not booting at all.

Sorry there is a lot there and I've probably missed something out too but any help would be greatly appreciated - as would someone probably pointing out the silly mistake I'm undoubtedly making in there.

EDIT: I forgot to add that cooling shouldn't be a problem in the system as the CPU has about the best heatsink/fan I could get for it at the time without going to liquid cooling and the RAM has a dedicated heatsink and fan.

Thanks,
Joe

Hi Joe, Welcome to Toms. :hello: 

Which 790i M/BD do you have?
February 16, 2012 10:59:50 PM

Hi, thanks for the welcome!

It's an Evga nForce 790i Ultra SLI
Part number: 132-CK-NF79 if that makes it easier to identify.

The BIOS was still the original dated 2008 but I updated it today from the Evga website. Even so, the BIOS release date for the new version is 2009.

Joe
Related resources
a b à CPUs
a b K Overclocking
February 16, 2012 11:25:27 PM

Quote:
It's an Evga nForce 790i Ultra SLI

Thanks. I use an ASUS Striker II Extreme with my Q9550.

To start off I would say to OC in the BIOS of your M/BD if you want high OC's.

The next thing is your ram is running @ its rated speed when your CPU is OC'd to 3.4GHz. You can change your CPU FSB ratio to ram in the BIOS and maybe get a higher OC that way along with some particular voltage changes.

Check out this LINK and see if it will help you.

If you are still having problems I will try to help you. Just remember there are no guarrenties that you can even OC that CPU any higher. Watch your temps with Real Temp, don't let them get higher than mid 60s C and for now do not go over 1.3625 V on your CPU.

Happy OC'n to you. :sol: 
February 16, 2012 11:48:49 PM

Thanks for the reply, I'll read through that link tomorrow and try it when not so tired and post my results or failures here!
a b à CPUs
a b K Overclocking
February 16, 2012 11:50:52 PM

I look forward to seeing your results! Most of all have fun! :bounce: 
February 17, 2012 12:27:31 PM

I've been looking through that link you sent me but I'm having a problem with the RAM. As standard, set to Auto, the FSB ratio is 5:8 as shown by CPUz. If I change it manually, I get the option of 5:4, 3:2 or Sync Mode, as well as Unlinked.
If I Unlink it, or change it to any of the other ratio's, CPUz still shows the same 5:8 ratio and nothing changes. If I set it to Sync Mode, the system wont boot and gives all manor of scary messages such as C:\Windows\System32\Config (Not exactly) can't be found.

I think this might be the basis of my problems, because I've learnt that its PC3-8500F memory in here, meaning 1066 speed if I'm not mistaken. Running it as I am with a CPU FSB of 358MHz x 1.6 for the ratio gives 572.8 MHz ... Dual channel and that's 1145.6 total, I think.

My question is this... if that is exceeding the RAM speed, could that be causing the instability in the system and, secondly, why can't I seem to change the ratios or unlink?

Thanks for your help.
a b à CPUs
a b K Overclocking
February 17, 2012 12:57:37 PM

Quote:
I think this might be the basis of my problems, because I've learnt that its PC3-8500F memory in here, meaning 1066 speed if I'm not mistaken.

Your not mistaken and that is what is holding you back. That 5:8 ratio is CPU FSB freqency/Memory MHz speed. May not be saying it correctly but apparently your memory can not be OC'd beyond a certain point, as is the case with a lot of memory.

I bought PC3 16000 DDR3 2000 ram to OC my CPU Linked and Sync'ed. That way my memory would never be running OC'd or @ a lower ratio that 1:2 in BIOS. Your M/BD supports that memory, but you need to ckeck from EVGA what memory is compatible with your M/BD. May not have many options on that any more thou.

So my recommendation is to get DDR 3 2000 memory to OC any further.

A side note, you might try to loosen up the timings on your current memory and see if that helps, but that sometimes does not work very well either.
February 24, 2012 7:13:17 PM

Hi again,

I've been away for the week but before I left, I identified a problem that may have been causing the issues I was having. It seems Nvidia control panel isn't that great... who would have thought it..?!
I managed to unlink FSB and Memory in the BIOS and set a higher FSB without changing the memory speed and things were going well. The PC booted, I ran CPUz and it showed my changes had a positive effect.
However, with the way the PC loads Windows, I could tell the point where nvidia control panel loads up and as soon as it did, it crashed the system or just reverted my changes.
So, Nvidia is out and I'm going to work on it in the bios shortly, but I just wanted to say thanks again for the help.
Joe
a b à CPUs
a b K Overclocking
February 25, 2012 12:27:28 PM

Quote:
However, with the way the PC loads Windows, I could tell the point where nvidia control panel loads up and as soon as it did, it crashed the system or just reverted my changes.

?? Whats nvida control panel ?? :whistle: 

If your running XP then during the time the bars are going across and then hesitate is when the graphics drivers and sound drivers are turned on. If they are corrupt then you have problems getting to the desk top or crashing moments after getting to the desk top.

This will happen when an OC is far off from being stable and requires going back to the last stable OC you had and uninstall/reinstall drivers.

Quote:
but I just wanted to say thanks again for the help.

Your welcome Joe. ;) 
!