Sign in with
Your question

[Help] GA-X58A-UD3R

Last response: in Motherboards
April 16, 2010 11:33:24 PM

Hi guys,

I just recently built my first build myself and am having some problems. The first was that I had an i7-930 that was running at 87 C :o  But that has since fixed itself after I reseated the heatsink, it is down to like 50 C so I am feeling much better about that.

However now another problem has come up, whenever I try to load into windows normally it keeps restarting. I am not sure why at all. (safe mode seems to work just fine). I only installed the drivers that came with the motherboard on the dvd. (I believe I have rev 1.0 of my board)

The things that I have on my motherboard shouldnt be a problem because I mean it all worked and ran for a prolonged period of time (even at 87C) so I dont think its any of my components.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks again :) 

More about : x58a ud3r

a c 177 V Motherboard
April 17, 2010 12:39:58 AM

Download MemTest, unzip the file to an .iso, and burn the iso to a CD - will give you a comprehensive , bootable memory tester; 90% of random restarts/bluecreens while running the installers turn out to be memory weaknesses - either bad setup, or an actual bad DIMM...
m
l
April 17, 2010 1:24:07 AM

Ok will try that, but why would it start up and run properly under safe mode if it was a memory issue? (Dont think you are wrong about it, just curious as to why it would be fine under safe mode but not when regular windows is being used)
m
l
Related resources
April 17, 2010 3:47:58 AM

bilbat said:
Download MemTest, unzip the file to an .iso, and burn the iso to a CD - will give you a comprehensive , bootable memory tester; 90% of random restarts/bluecreens while running the installers turn out to be memory weaknesses - either bad setup, or an actual bad DIMM...

Ok ran memtest it didnt find any errors. Any other suggestions?
m
l
April 17, 2010 4:17:57 PM

bilbat said:
The installers make excellent stress tests - they use lots of bandwidth on a variety of busses - even the program installers will sometimes crap out on a machine that can idle fine...

Next test is to download these (whichever 'flavor' you need...):
Prime95v25.11build2 (32-bit)
Prime95v25.11build2 (64-bit)

CoreTemp 0.99.5.27 (32-bit)
CoreTemp 0.99.5.27 (32-bit)
and run them simultaneously to check clocking, cooling, stability...

Problem is, I cant get into windows, cause when its installing it gets to the "installing devices" part on windows xp and then it just restarts.

After paying attention to it, I noticed that before it restarts there is first a green light that comes on by the cpu on the mobo, and then a red flashing led and then the red led just says constantly lit with the green led right next to it and then both of them turn off, and the computer restarts before the install ever finishes or gets past the installing devices part.
m
l
a c 177 V Motherboard
April 17, 2010 4:46:39 PM

I'll look into the LED situation - meantime, try this:
put just 1 DIMM into slot DDR3_1 (the white one closest to the CPU...
enter BIOS, disable XMP, and do a "Load Optimized Defaults", + <F10> to save and exit
see if windoze will install this way...
m
l
a c 177 V Motherboard
April 17, 2010 5:13:13 PM

Ok - here's some labels (in orange...):

...which ones, in what order, for how long? May help, may not - but can't hurt [:bilbat:8]
m
l
April 17, 2010 6:05:16 PM

here bilbat, I made a video to hopefully shead some more light on the issue.

Thanks for all your help so far :) 

From that diagram from before, E = green, and D =red. is what it looks like at least.
m
l
a c 177 V Motherboard
April 17, 2010 8:34:43 PM

Tells me 'private video' - either I don't have a youtube account, or it's not sending me the password - can you attach to a PM?
m
l
April 17, 2010 8:40:03 PM

bilbat said:
Tells me 'private video' - either I don't have a youtube account, or it's not sending me the password - can you attach to a PM?

Here try with this url : http://www.youtube.com/watch_private?v=VTGCzqVAEBM&shar...

It "should" work.

I think I got it to work though.

The default CMOS settings got some conflicting parameters under MB Intelligent Tweaker(M.I.T.)/Advanced CPU Features.

Default was:
CPU Enhanced Halt (C1E): Enabled
C3/C6/C7 State Support: Disabled

On mine I changed it to

CPU Enhanced Halt (C1E): Disabled
C3/C6/C7 State Support: Disabled

And it went through the install just fine.

One question for you though, now that both of these things are disabled, how will this affect my over clocking and if I update the bios will that solve the problem of me having to put both of these two things on disabled to make it boot?
m
l
a c 177 V Motherboard
April 17, 2010 9:37:18 PM

I have some notes in the 'sticky', under BIOS - General Settings

In general, I recommend turning off all these features always - especially on systems intended to OC...

Will try the video again & get back...
m
l
!