Sign in with
Your question

What Gigabyte motherboard to get for q8300?

Last response: in Motherboards
April 17, 2010 12:52:09 AM

Hi,

I have a q8300 processor and I'm looking for a new gigabyte motherboard since my intel DP45SG is an epic fail. Any recommendations? Also, anyone thinking I should sell my q8300 for a newer/better processor like an i7?
a b V Motherboard
April 17, 2010 2:35:35 AM

Since you apparently have DDR3, I'd check out the Gigabyte GA-EP43T-USB3 because it has USB 3.0 (the GA-EP45T-USB3P is basically the same board with an extra PCIe x16 slot if you need two for crossfiring).

You don't really need to go to an i-series yet ... q8300 is not cutting-edge but still holds its own with anything out there, especially if overclocked. I don't think you'll notice a huge difference yet if you went to a faster CPU, and certainly not enough of a difference to justify the cost of both a new mobo and CPU. If anything, upgrade it in a year or so when six-cores become cheap enough to do reasonably.

Also, I am with you 100% on the DP45SG. That was my first DDR3 board and it sucked a fat one. I eventually had to give up trying to get the memory working and just get a different board because it simply had piss-poor compatibility. I don't even know why they market it as something you'd want to build your own system with, much less as an "extreme" board. Extreme, my ass. I hope whoever designed it dies in a fire.
April 17, 2010 8:56:47 AM

capt_taco said:
Since you apparently have DDR3, I'd check out the Gigabyte GA-EP43T-USB3 because it has USB 3.0 (the GA-EP45T-USB3P is basically the same board with an extra PCIe x16 slot if you need two for crossfiring).

You don't really need to go to an i-series yet ... q8300 is not cutting-edge but still holds its own with anything out there, especially if overclocked. I don't think you'll notice a huge difference yet if you went to a faster CPU, and certainly not enough of a difference to justify the cost of both a new mobo and CPU. If anything, upgrade it in a year or so when six-cores become cheap enough to do reasonably.

Also, I am with you 100% on the DP45SG. That was my first DDR3 board and it sucked a fat one. I eventually had to give up trying to get the memory working and just get a different board because it simply had piss-poor compatibility. I don't even know why they market it as something you'd want to build your own system with, much less as an "extreme" board. Extreme, my ass. I hope whoever designed it dies in a fire.

Definitely agreed with the comment on the DP45SG. The audio is absolutely horrible by design.

I took a look at the GA-EP45T-USB3P board but can't find it anywhere here in the UK. Only ones I can get are shipped from the USA so is there any other options that may be found locally here? Cross-fire is a must and that USB 3.0 seems like a welcome benefit!
April 17, 2010 8:58:27 PM

You should be able to overclock the Q8300 pretty well, but your ram will have to keep up with it. I don't know how that works exactly with DDR3, I have DDR2 on my Q9400. I've run my ram at about 950MHz with my CPU.

For "future-proofing", you would be better off buying the i5 or i7 but it's more money to spend now vs. upgrading sooner in the future. But if you get that Q8300 to 3.3GHz or better it will be pretty fast. I think you would need a good aftermarket cooler when you get to those speeds.
Related resources
!