Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

How do i overclock my qx6700

Last response: in Overclocking
Share
February 16, 2012 7:41:44 PM

Hello,
i am a newbee to overclocking. do just adjust the multiplier to get a faster processor?

More about : overclock qx6700

a b K Overclocking
February 16, 2012 11:06:02 PM

stumpot said:
Hello,
i am a newbee to overclocking. do just adjust the multiplier to get a faster processor?


Hi stumpot, Welcome to Toms. :hello: 

Your CPU has a locked multiplier, meaning you can not raise it. This CPU is OC'd by increasing the FSB.

Check out this LINK and see if it can help you. I know it is a long read but there is a lot to know if you want a stable OC.

If you are still having problems post your system specs and I will see if I cab help you. :sol: 
February 17, 2012 10:01:57 AM

arthurh said:
Hi stumpot, Welcome to Toms. :hello: 

Your CPU has a locked multiplier, meaning you can not raise it. This CPU is OC'd by increasing the FSB.

Check out this LINK and see if it can help you. I know it is a long read but there is a lot to know if you want a stable OC.

If you are still having problems post your system specs and I will see if I cab help you. :sol: 



Hi Arthurh,

Thanks for your reply, i was told that the multiplyer is unlocked on my processsor as it's the extreme model. is this correct? I will have a look at the thread provided and get back to you, thanks again.
Related resources
a b K Overclocking
February 17, 2012 12:30:51 PM

Quote:
i was told that the multiplyer is unlocked on my processsor as it's the extreme model. is this correct?


Oh boy my bad on that call. :(  Please accept my apologies for that. For some reason I just did not catch in your title that you had a QX CPU. The extreme model was the QX6800 I think but yours is good as well.

You are right it has an unlocked multiplier which makes this CPU a dream to OC. So...., the short answer is yes to just raising your multiplier, however, you will reach a point where you will also have to raise the Vc for your CPU to remain stable. That link I gave you has some great info regarding those adjustments.

I do not think I would be doing you a just service not asking you to learn a little more about what you are undertaking; (i.e., needing to watch your temps). I use Real Temp. LINK Depending on how high you OC you may need to purchase an after market CPU heat sink/fan unit or water cooling solution to keep your CPU from overheating.

At any rate good luck to you and happy OC'n. :sol: 
February 18, 2012 8:46:01 PM

No probs.

I have read up considerably as you advised last time we spoke and i now feel i have a slightly better grasp on the workings of OC. Since your last advice i have tried upping the multiplyr, fsb and lowering the mem freq. i have found that multi of 10 with fsb at 1200Mhz(quad pumped) gives me the most stable idle temp(around 40-42C on all cores)resulting in 3Mhz core speed up from from 2.6Mhz. I would ideally like 3.2Mhz which i can achieve on a multi setting of 12 but on prime 5 torture the first core always gives out after a minute or so. any suggestions for how to achieve a steady 3.2Hz with reasonable idle temp? Also could you advise on memory timing for my 4x2Gb Crucial hynix ram, 800Mhz Pc6400? My mobo is an XFX 680i sli lt, 650Watt PSU, artic freezer pro 7 cooler if this helps.

Thanks in advance.

Stu.
a b K Overclocking
February 19, 2012 3:49:19 PM

Quote:
i have tried upping the multiplyr, fsb and lowering the mem freq. i have found that multi of 10 with fsb at 1200Mhz(quad pumped) gives me the most stable idle temp(around 40-42C on all cores)resulting in 3Mhz core speed up from from 2.6Mhz.


I would leave the FSB and memory @ stock settings and only raise the multiplier. That way the ONLY thing you are OC'n is the CPU.

I also would pull 2 sticks of ram and OC with only 2 sticks til I got to where I wnat to be then add the other ram.
February 19, 2012 6:08:22 PM

ok thanks, will try.
!