Convert Win XP laptop to non-network computer

dyawn

Distinguished
Aug 7, 2010
Toshiba Satellite L305-S5944 Laptop. Model PSLB8U-0VN037. Win XP Professional SP3.
This laptop was used in a dental office on a local network. It is like new since itwas seldom used. I want to remove all the former network aspects and restore it to a basic laptop. It works fine and has Office 2007 installed. It contains some dental software that is not shown on the list of programs to be uninstalled. It is viewable in the registry. How do I remove/modify all the components/software associated with the former network and prevent the logon and shutdown windows from displaying reference to "dental" which I assume was the domain name? The network is no longer in use. Thanks.

Solution

Well, make sure you run win7 upgrade advisor before you leap into Win7 installation ! With respect to dental software, can't be much help there, exceept...

Delete the windows partition & Install a freh copy of Windows.

dyawn

Distinguished
Aug 7, 2010
That would be OK except there is no fresh copy of Win XP Pro. The network this laptop was on was created in 2004 and replaced in 2010. They just took everything apart and stored it until they could not move around it anymore. I did not come across a disk for Win XP Pro so I presume it is lost or that whoever setup the network loaded it and did not leave the disk. However, I am considering a custom install of Win 7 so that may solve the problem as well. However, I would like to get rid of the dental software first just to make sure it did not continue into the next evolution.

Well, make sure you run win7 upgrade advisor before you leap into Win7 installation ! With respect to dental software, can't be much help there, exceept maybe try another uninstall APP called REVO to see if it will list what you want to remove.

Solution

dyawn

Distinguished
Aug 7, 2010
I ran the update advisor and the laptop is suitable for Win 7 as a custom install. I think that is the best solution so I'll consider the problem resolved. Thanks for your input.