Is this a good Motherboard?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dremack

Distinguished
Nov 25, 2008
sup T.H

I'm ready to build and purchase a new pc from scratch to replace my old AMD Athlon 64 2.8hzdual core and its 8800GT.

I've been using Amd majority of the time, but i think I will go for intel this time.

Would this be a good motherboard

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813130253

I'm looking for something decent and not too expensive and upgradable in the future. I'll also be purchasing a core i5-750 and GTX 470.

don't really want sli either. just single slot gpu solution. Would this be sufficient?

Solution
Yeah, even the absolute bargain-basement brands of 1366 motherboards are $150 and up. Decent ones start at $180 and up. They are NOT CHEAP. But as far as upgradeability goes, the CPU socket is really the only thing to worry about currently, since any video card will work in any PCIe x16 slot, and RAM looks like it will be on the DDR3 standard for a while and there is no such thing as a DDR4-ready board in any case. If you can find a board with USB 3.0 and SATA 6Gb/s support, that's a nice secondary feature to have, though.

At any rate, I don't think it pencils out to spend the extra money for an Intel build right now if you're stopping at an 1156 board and an i5. If you're planning on leaving a CPU upgrade path open with Intel, you'll...
If you want something that's upgradeable in the future, get a socket 1366 motherboard, not an 1156. The 1366 boards will support the upcoming generation of six-core and eight-core processors. 1156 will not.

Also, if you're looking for decent and not too expensive, an Intel CPU and Nvidia video card is doing it exactly backwards. AMD Phenom II x4 and HD5850/70 would be the much cheaper equivalent, and AM3 sockets will also support the new AMD six-cores, so you've got the upgradeability going there too.

Dremack

Distinguished
Nov 25, 2008
yeah.

i was leaning towards the Phenom II x4 955 and an amd board to save a bit of money, but i always wanted to get an intel processor. I've been using amd since before the AMD Duron era :wahoo: . They have never let me down, but I was always intrigued by Intel for some reason. Maybe because all the school computers and internet cafe's all used them? who knows ^_^

AFAIK, aren't 1366 boards quite expensive and go in the $190 price range? And I'm not really interest on getting the core-i7 since I'm not going to be doing any advance video decoding and what not. It'll just be for casual gaming, dvd ripping and basic tasks. That's why i wanted to get the i5.

and I've always been a Nvidia fan, so chances are I'm going to be sticking with that GTX 470. :sweat:

Yeah, even the absolute bargain-basement brands of 1366 motherboards are $150 and up. Decent ones start at $180 and up. They are NOT CHEAP. But as far as upgradeability goes, the CPU socket is really the only thing to worry about currently, since any video card will work in any PCIe x16 slot, and RAM looks like it will be on the DDR3 standard for a while and there is no such thing as a DDR4-ready board in any case. If you can find a board with USB 3.0 and SATA 6Gb/s support, that's a nice secondary feature to have, though.

At any rate, I don't think it pencils out to spend the extra money for an Intel build right now if you're stopping at an 1156 board and an i5. If you're planning on leaving a CPU upgrade path open with Intel, you'll be shelling out some serious cash (both now, and again later when you buy the new CPU). I mean, I used to think Intel was the gold standard too because they offer better performance at the super-high end, but I've turned into a fan of AMD for any practical machine I would build. They're right where you need to be in price, IMO, without giving up too much performance.

For the same reason, I am not sure about the allegiance to Nvidia either. Right now, the only thing you get with them versus an ATI card is that for any newish technology, you pay a 20% premium for the same performance. It would be like Intel's pricing versus AMD, but without making CPUs that were any better. Also, good luck finding a 470 in the near future:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList.aspx?Submit=ENE&DEPA=0&Order=BESTMATCH&Description=gtx+470&x=0&y=0

At any rate, I'm not here to rip you a new one for choosing one brand over the other, but I do agree that a Phenom II x4 and a GTX 470 are going to be well-balanced with each other and make for one hell of a good machine. You ought to be happy with that for years.

Solution
Status
Not open for further replies.