LCD MONITOR CLEANER

I have an IBM thinkpad and want something to clean the screen.
I dont want to pay too much (ie 8 uk pounds for 12 screen wipes on one
web site).
what type of cleaner should i use ?
what kind of cloth ?

can i use those face wipe cloths you get in macdonalds ?
5 answers Last reply
More about monitor cleaner

    sam1967@hetnet.nl wrote:
    > I have an IBM thinkpad and want something to clean the screen.
    > I dont want to pay too much (ie 8 uk pounds for 12 screen wipes on one
    > web site).
    > what type of cleaner should i use ?
    > what kind of cloth ?
    >
    > can i use those face wipe cloths you get in macdonalds ?

    Go to the drugstore and get some eyeglass cleaner pads.

    > I have an IBM thinkpad and want something to clean the screen.
    > I dont want to pay too much (ie 8 uk pounds for 12 screen wipes
    > on one web site).
    > what type of cleaner should i use ?
    > what kind of cloth ?
    >
    > can i use those face wipe cloths you get in macdonalds ?

    I wouldn't!

    This is very good, cheap, and safe:

    Get some 70% isopropyl (NOT denatured!) rubbing alcohol. Dilute it 50-50
    with water.

    Use a soft, lint-free, 100% cotton cloth such as a dishtowel.

    Dampen one end of the dishtowel with the water+isopropyl mix. Wipe the
    screen with it. Dry with the other end of the towel.

    -Mike

    Michael Geary wrote:

    > > I have an IBM thinkpad and want something to clean the screen.
    > > I dont want to pay too much (ie 8 uk pounds for 12 screen wipes
    > > on one web site).
    > > what type of cleaner should i use ?
    > > what kind of cloth ?
    > >
    > > can i use those face wipe cloths you get in macdonalds ?
    >
    > I wouldn't!
    >
    > This is very good, cheap, and safe:
    >
    > Get some 70% isopropyl (NOT denatured!) rubbing alcohol. Dilute it 50-50
    > with water.
    >
    > Use a soft, lint-free, 100% cotton cloth such as a dishtowel.
    >
    > Dampen one end of the dishtowel with the water+isopropyl mix. Wipe the
    > screen with it. Dry with the other end of the towel.

    I think I'd opt for lint-free cloths, specifically designed for screen cleaning.

    You can save money by cutting them down (to a smaller size) before using them.

    Larry

    Lawrence Glasser wrote:
    > I think I'd opt for lint-free cloths, specifically designed for
    > screen cleaning.
    >
    > You can save money by cutting them down (to a smaller size)
    > before using them.

    Those sound fine too, except I'm not too keen on cloths that leave an
    anti-static or other kind of film behind. Also, anything specifically
    designed for screen cleaning will probably cost more than a cotton
    dishtowel, and the dishtowel is washable and reusable. I especially like the
    ones from India that have kind of a bumpy texture. I keep one in my computer
    backpack and use it dry to dust the screen, dampened with water if I don't
    have any of the isopropyl mix handy, or with the isopropyl mix for heavier
    cleaning. It works great all three ways.

    Whatever you use, watch out for the latches that hold the screen closed. You
    don't want to catch something on those and break them.

    -Mike

    http://www.3m.com/us/mfg_industrial/adhesives/framing/html/cloth.jhtml

    wipe in gentle circular motions until spots are gone. use a bit of
    water as needed. don't touch screen again.

Internet Explorer LCD Monitor IBM ThinkPad Laptops