Sign in with
Your question

Netbook Help

Last response: in Wireless Networking
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
a b F Wireless
February 20, 2010 3:01:21 PM

Me and my friend are trying to get our, Eee Pc Netbook online. We tried connecting it to our Wireless Sky Router. That didn't work. We tried getting an ethernet cable and plugging it in a wireless connected laptop, and the netbook. I bridged the connections on the laptop. Waited for the netbook to retrieve the info. Then a thing popped up saying, there is an IP Conflict with another system on the network. So we dont know what to do know. Any help?

PS- The laptop is running by Vista, and the Eee PC Netbook is running by XP

More about : netbook

a b D Laptop
a b F Wireless
February 20, 2010 3:53:56 PM

I assume that ideally you'd like to have both working over wireless. So I’m not sure whether it's better to address THAT issue, or get your workaround (which it what it amounts to) working.

Also, it would help a lot if we knew more about that specific router (make/model). Since you didn’t run Ethernet cables directly to LAN ports on that router, all I can assume is that router is strictly for wireless purposes (no LAN ports). So until I’m informed otherwise, all further comments are based on that assumption.

So for now, let’s address the workaround and get it working.

Bridging the connections SHOULD work assuming you’re using a NAT router and it has its own DHCP server. Again, because I don’t know anything about that router specifically, I just have to assume neither is the case. In fact, this may be the very reason the wireless connection didn’t work for the netbook. Perhaps it’s not a router at all but just a modem! It sure sounds like it’s a modem.

So let’s assume it is just a modem, again, until proven otherwise. Since you don’t have a router, you have a problem. You can’t just bridge the connections because you’re only allowed ONE public IP assignment from your ISP (typically). You need to share that one IP among at least one other machine, the netbook. Again, something a NAT router would do. So to address that limitation, you need to make that desktop/laptop w/ the good wireless connection become a router (functionally). And in order to do that, you need to enable ICS on that connection.

ICS is essentially software that turns the desktop/laptop into a router on behalf of the other netbook. It supports NAT, has it’s own DHCP server, etc. And it will automatically bridge those connections for you. So disable the bridge YOU created and configure ICS.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/306126

!