Sign in with
Your question

Phenom 9500 to a Phenom II x2 or x3?

Last response: in CPUs
January 9, 2010 1:48:20 PM

My question is: Is this upgrade worth it?

Preferred site:Newegg.ca
Main usage: Mild gaming at 1680 x 1050, school work, barely any video rendering and stuff, (I don't care how long it takes as long as it gets done sometime)
Overclocking:no
SLI/Crossfire:no (motherboard
not compatible)
Resolution:1680x1050 (very negotiable, I don't mind playing at 1400x900 and lower, but I would really like to start playing all at 1680x1050)
Time until next upgrade after this:Most probably two years (hopefully a new PC for university, or upgrading this one)

Current setup:
GA-MA770-DS3
Phenom 9500<-------------------------point of interest
3gb ddr2 ram
8600 gt (getting 9800gt this week)
600 watt psu
230gb hdd

My current phenom seems to lag behind in games (maybe it is also due to the 8600gt) but I am not going to overclock it, so its about time to get a new CPU. I've been looking at the x2 550 BE and the x3 720 BE and both seem like good options, but I'm on a budget. I will have about $160 MAX TAXES AND SHIPPING INCLUDED for this endeavor. Instead of giving out my postal code and stuff, I will say shipping will be $10 CAD on everything and taxes are 13% after shipping and total prices are combined. I would like the CPU to be mildly future proof as it needs to last another two years at least. The reason I have been looking at the BE's are because they have higher clock speeds, and after the CPU is done I might try to breath new life into it. (be isn't necessary)

On a side note, I will not be trying to unlock the other cores, even if it was possible with my motherboard.

http://www.gigabyte.com.tw/Support/Motherboard/CPUSupport_Model.aspx?ProductID=2722#anchor_os
This is the site with all of the compatible CPU's. I am only looking for something much better in games then my phenom 9500, and hopefully a am3 cpu.

My ideas: Phenom II x2 550BE
Phenom II x3 720BE
Athlon II x2 250(Would like the other two better, but if you can convince me this is better, I will look into it)

More about : phenom 9500 phenom

a b à CPUs
January 9, 2010 2:30:51 PM

canadiano said:
My question is: Is this upgrade worth it?

Preferred site:Newegg.ca
Main usage: Mild gaming at 1680 x 1050, school work, barely any video rendering and stuff, (I don't care how long it takes as long as it gets done sometime)
Overclocking:no
SLI/Crossfire:no (motherboard
not compatible)
Resolution:1680x1050 (very negotiable, I don't mind playing at 1400x900 and lower, but I would really like to start playing all at 1680x1050)
Time until next upgrade after this:Most probably two years (hopefully a new PC for university, or upgrading this one)

Current setup:
GA-MA770-DS3
Phenom 9500<-------------------------point of interest
3gb ddr2 ram
8600 gt (getting 9800gt this week)
600 watt psu
230gb hdd

My current phenom seems to lag behind in games (maybe it is also due to the 8600gt) but I am not going to overclock it, so its about time to get a new CPU. I've been looking at the x2 550 BE and the x3 720 BE and both seem like good options, but I'm on a budget. I will have about $160 MAX TAXES AND SHIPPING INCLUDED for this endeavor. Instead of giving out my postal code and stuff, I will say shipping will be $10 CAD on everything and taxes are 13% after shipping and total prices are combined. I would like the CPU to be mildly future proof as it needs to last another two years at least. The reason I have been looking at the BE's are because they have higher clock speeds, and after the CPU is done I might try to breath new life into it. (be isn't necessary)

On a side note, I will not be trying to unlock the other cores, even if it was possible with my motherboard.

http://www.gigabyte.com.tw/Support/Motherboard/CPUSupport_Model.aspx?ProductID=2722#anchor_os
This is the site with all of the compatible CPU's. I am only looking for something much better in games then my phenom 9500, and hopefully a am3 cpu.

My ideas: Phenom II x2 550BE
Phenom II x3 720BE
Athlon II x2 250(Would like the other two better, but if you can convince me this is better, I will look into it)

well, looking at your motherboard you listed. It seams all the am3 cpus are not compatible with it as Gigabyte has not released a bios to support these newer cpu. ( there all listed as N/A.)

EDIT:

Unless your motherboard version 2.0 instead 1.0 then the cpus you listed are supported.

if it is version 2.0 then i would recommend either phenom II x3 720 ( Most recommend for current games) or if you want a long term budget quad core cpu then i would recommend athlon II x4 620

http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E1681...
http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E1681...

http://www.anandtech.com/bench/default.aspx?p=106&p2=83
m
l
January 9, 2010 3:01:56 PM

Oh wow! I missed that completely! Does this mean there will be a BIOS update eventually since they are listed, or will there never be a BIOS update because of the revision 2? Also, the site says this board is AM3 CPU ready, but no AM3 cpu are supported. I am totaly confused. Do I have to buy a new motherboard?
m
l
Related resources
a b à CPUs
January 9, 2010 3:09:29 PM

canadiano said:
Oh wow! I missed that completely! Does this mean there will be a BIOS update eventually since they are listed, or will there never be a BIOS update because of the revision 2? Also, the site says this board is AM3 CPU ready, but no AM3 cpu are supported. I am totaly confused. Do I have to buy a new motherboard?

Well if you have version 1.0, it looks like you'll have to buy a new motherboard. the bios will probably not be updated as the phenom II's AM3 cpus been out for nearly a year now. :( 

yeah i see how this can be confusing. They shouldn't really be boasting about AM3 support when version 1.0 will not support it.
m
l
January 9, 2010 3:10:08 PM

Okay, after some researching, Gigabyte just released a Beta BIOS 2009/12/22. This BIOS seems to be AM3 ready because they have added AM3 ready on the revision 1 site, which wasn't there a month ago.
m
l
!