Sign in with
Your question

Help Overclocking i5 2300

Last response: in Overclocking
February 16, 2012 10:32:08 PM

Allright after a load of research I have found it is possible to overclock the i5 2300 up to ~3.7ghz. My only problem is I cant even come close to touching that! I was able to overclock my 2300 to 3.3ghz and that's where it sits right now. (stock voltages) I have been slightly confused by all this turbo multiplier nonsense. I would really like to squeeze a little more power out of this thing if at all possible. I am running at 54c max as of right now so temperature will not be an issue, and I am on a high end gigabyte z68 board. Can anyone help me out here? *Kicks self for not buying 2500k...

More about : overclocking 2300

a b à CPUs
a b K Overclocking
February 16, 2012 11:47:19 PM

Wiiings12 said:
Allright after a load of research I have found it is possible to overclock the i5 2300 up to ~3.7ghz. My only problem is I cant even come close to touching that! I was able to overclock my 2300 to 3.3ghz and that's where it sits right now. (stock voltages) I have been slightly confused by all this turbo multiplier nonsense. I would really like to squeeze a little more power out of this thing if at all possible. I am running at 54c max as of right now so temperature will not be an issue, and I am on a high end gigabyte z68 board. Can anyone help me out here? *Kicks self for not buying 2500k...

Your CPU has a locked multiplier. If you OC the BCLK of 100 to a higher number your system (i.e., 101 ~ 105) might remain stable but no guarrenties on that. I would say just run it stock and be happy or buy a 2500k.

Remember, your CPU is no slouch when it comes to gaming even at stock settings.

A 2300 that is showing a 3.7GHz OC is probably running on just one OC core. You can raise the multiplier on Turbo Boost but it will take away from the other cores ability to OC under load. That sort of negates having a quad that is crippled by having a high Turbo Boost setting in the BIOS that only OCs 1 core under load.

I do not actually have a 2300 but do have a 2500k @ 4.5GHz 24/7. On a good note your temps are great! :) 

Good luck to you thou my friend. :sol: 
m
l
!