AMD Phenom II X4 955 BE High Temps?

joshernater9

Distinguished
Sep 30, 2011
My case has 4 built in fans. two 120mm in the front i believe is the size. The bottom one in the front is sort of busted, I mean its sort of locked up, it goes rather slow and doesnt do as much as the top one. And i have a big fan on the top and another small in the back. my CPU is overclocked to 3200MHz and 1.3500 Voltage. I think it came with that overclock, if i try to overclock any more it gets too hot. My current average temp running Prime95 is 58c, idle is 43c Is this high? Any suggestions to cool it down?

G

Have you had a look around inside? Is there dust build up on the CPU Heatsink? Is the Heatsink stock or aftermarket? Did you builld this machine, orignally installing CPU?
Concerning the front fan, just disconnect it for now. Verify the top and back fans are setup for exhaust.

joshernater9

Distinguished
Sep 30, 2011
Have you had a look around inside? Is there dust build up on the CPU Heatsink? Is the Heatsink stock or aftermarket? Did you builld this machine, orignally installing CPU?
Concerning the front fan, just disconnect it for now. Verify the top and back fans are setup for exhaust.
just cleaned out the heatsink, wasnt too much in it, and it didnt make a difference to temps. its a stock heatsink and no, i didn't build it, it was built by a local computer shop.

The Phenom II x4 955BE has a stock speed of 3.2GHz at 1.35V... why and how do you say it's Overclocked?
If it is, then what is the speed and voltage that it's been set at?
58C under Prime95 is fine..... :) quite good actually.
43@idle is dependent on the ambient temps and the minimum usage during those idle states.
Idle according to us maybe, when we are not doing anything on the rig, but according to the rig, it might be performing a few background tasks that might require some computing power keeping the CPU running at around 5 to 10 %, and that is not idle. Idle would be 1-2%....

joshernater9

Distinguished
Sep 30, 2011

Yeah, i thought it was, your right, its stock.

Any idea what a max temp for a gaming load is for this cpu? i might overclock a little, would be nice to know temps to go by.

Upto 60C while gaming would be fine at stock speeds. After an OC, I'd expect it go to the 65+ range under gaming load. and it would be fine....
Idle should be maintained at 40 to 45C ... that would be normal under OC and Non OC settings, mainly because of other factors that may be involved, like ambient temps, airflow, current etc etc

joshernater9

Distinguished
Sep 30, 2011

Alright, thanks. My max after a small overclock was 71c. Don't really want to go higher than that.

Syntaxkid

Honorable
Jun 11, 2012
Wooow, ya know the max temp for 955 BE is stated by AMD to be 62c right? I know AMD likes to run hot but if my chip reached 65 I would be screaming like a little girl and running for the power cord. Whoever built your computer: take it back and shove it up there ass, they obviously dont know how to apply thermal compound. Mine runs Idle around 28c and never gets above 32. This is with liquid cooling yes, but even with a stock fan and heatsink it never got above 50. This is with moderate overclocking to 3.6. It should be fine running that hot, but I wouldnt risk it. Especially since someone else built it, you can blame them. It just isnt supposed to run that hot, and the excuse "it will be fine" should not let them get away with poor workmanship.

TRENDING THREADS