Asus P6t SE vs Gigabyte GA-X58A-UD3R

Xtrastor

Distinguished
Apr 17, 2010
Hey guys, I'm about to build a new PC, and I'm not sure what Motherboard should I get.
I saw the Asus P6T SE, it looks a great Mobo, but the only problem is that it does NOT have neither SATA3 ports or USB3.0 ports.
About the Gigabyte GA-X58A-UD3R, it does say in the specs that it comes with SATA3 ports and also USB3.0 ports.
So the question is, should I be interested in the new sata and usb ports or should I go for the ASUS... What would you recommend me to do?... Please help!!!...

My new PC buils is going to be this:

Processor - Intel i7 920
RAM Memory - Corsair Dominator 3x 2GB DDR3
Video Card - ATI HD5770
Power Supply - OXZ GameXstream 700w (I already have it)
HDD - 1TB WD Green
and the mobo, but I'm not sure which one, help guys...

Solution
G

Indeed. Asus has several models that offer the next-generation USB 3.0 & SATA III devices. I think the OP and I were comparing two motherboards in the similar price range (sub $200).

In analyzing these two motherboards, I have compared the following two motherboards over each other:

ASUS P6T SE Pro's:
* BIOS is updated more often.
* Perhaps ASUS brand reliability?
* An extra PCI-e x16 2.0 slot
* From reviews, it seems to be a slightly cooler design (most notably the IOH/Northbridge temps are cooler than the Gigabyte's)
* Slightly less expensive - roughly $20 or so

ASUS P6T SE Con's:
* No USB 3.0 or SATA III...

mikey5802

Distinguished
Jun 26, 2009
You don't mention a budget in your post, but I would recommend the following changes:

Mobo:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813131641

Combo with the same Mobo and i7-920

http://www.newegg.com/Product/ComboDealDetails.aspx?ItemList=Combo.369316

Has SATA 6GBs (2) and USB 3.0 (2) for future proofing.

There were two WD 1TB green drives available, not sure which one you were looking at, but I think you'd be happier with one of these:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16822136284

- or -

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16822152185

G

I, too, am wondering about this question. I had originally bought a Asus P6T SE, and was deciding between that version or the Gigabyte GA-X58A-UD3R. Both are similar in price range w/ the P6T SE being a little less expensive.

To my surprise, my P6T SE has all the red capacitors on it (as opposed to the earlier original versions w/ some purple and some red). I guess the USB 3.0 + SATA3 + other few things (more overall SATA + better onboard audio, better construction, etc) was persuading me to get the Gigabyte one. But I am still not sure... Any other inputs?

Have I screwed myself by NOT getting the Gigabyte board?

G

Indeed. Asus has several models that offer the next-generation USB 3.0 & SATA III devices. I think the OP and I were comparing two motherboards in the similar price range (sub $200).

In analyzing these two motherboards, I have compared the following two motherboards over each other:

ASUS P6T SE Pro's:
* BIOS is updated more often.
* Perhaps ASUS brand reliability?
* An extra PCI-e x16 2.0 slot
* From reviews, it seems to be a slightly cooler design (most notably the IOH/Northbridge temps are cooler than the Gigabyte's)
* Slightly less expensive - roughly $20 or so

ASUS P6T SE Con's:
* No USB 3.0 or SATA III devices
* No 2 oz. copper construction like Gigabyte (but the newer P6T SE motherboards have all 100% red japanese capacitors despite the earlier revisions having some red, some purple)
* Less total USB 2.0 connectors (6 in ASUS and 8 in Gigabyte)

Gigabyte GA-X58A-UD3R Pro's:
* USB 3.0 & SATA III support
* 2 oz. copper construction -- although this can be debated to whether it's just a marketing gimmick or pro
* Better onboard sound and ethernet LAN
* More "things" such as extra USB 2.0 ports, eSATA, Firewire, etc.
* Seems to support up to DDR3-2200 RAM under OC!
* Newer motherboard in terms of production date

Gigabyte GA-X58A-UD3R Con's:
* Slightly more expensive than the ASUS mobo
* Seems to have a hotter IOH/Northbridge temperature than the ASUS
* BIOS updated less frequently? Although this could mean that the ASUS has more things that need to be fixed or discovered and the Gigabyte is more stable
* From reviews, seems to have a whining high-pitch sound that is random or related to the capacitors?

So, yeah... pretty much I was deciding between the two. I have the Asus P6T SE now, and I still wondering if I hit myself for not getting the Gigabyte instead. Hopefully someone can offer some more insight into this.

Solution