E8400 Idling at 65-67C??? Need Help

zeroxerxes

Distinguished
Jan 7, 2010
Hi guys, my e8400 is idling at 65-67C. All I have opened is realtemp and firefox. I use my computer for gaming mostly. My wolfdale e8400 is at stock 3.00ghz. Have not overclocked it. Why is the temperature so high??

Is it because i'm using the stock fan that came with the cpu?

I have a gigabyte ep35-ds3p if that makes any difference.

Sorry, i'm a noob when it comes to this stuff. Would buying this fan help me a lot?

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835186134&cm_re=artic_cooling_freezer_7-_-35-186-134-_-Product

Thanks for your help guys, i don't know what is wrong!

Reseat your heatsink. You most likely did not install the pushpins correctly.

The Freezer Pro 7 is good and will allow you to overclock since it cools better than the stock heatsink. It will be cooler than your stock fan when it is properly installed.

Also, the CM N520 costs $35 on Amazon, freeshipping/no tax. It cools better than the Artic Freezer Pro 7 since it can handle 1366 i7's, but the installation is tedious.

It's what I have and cools my 130w TDP i7 920 great! Your E8400 should be 65w TDP. This is assuming you want to overclock your CPU to 4.0GHz... :D

zeroxerxes

Distinguished
Jan 7, 2010
What is TDP?

I'm on my laptop right now. Bad news.

Well I found out my heatsink's pin was bent and wouldnt fit properly in one of the holes. So, tried making it fit, and the plastic pin broke off. I tried it out, securing the other 3 holes.

Turned on computer, got to the desktop, check realtemp and said it was like 110C. IT said HOT at the bottom, so I quickly shut off the computer. So obviously my heatsink is broke now. I will just wait until the new one comes in to even start my comp back up.

So does that mean my heatsink WAS working this whole time? Even if it was, what other reasons could there be that I was idling at 65C?

Thanks for your help, i'm very puzzled though.

TDP is the heat created by your CPU.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thermal_Design_Power

Your heatsink was not properly installed in the first place. No CPU is ever suppose to idle at 65'C. Now that is broke, you might as well get an aftermarket heatsink.

Get the Artic Freezer 7 Pro or CM N520 on Amazon.com that I recommended. Both use screws so you won't have problems installing it as opposed to flimsy push pins.

If you have the Artic Cooler Freezer Pro 7, it already has MX2 thermal paste applied (which is better than AS5). Just leave it on and install it.

If you have the CM N520, apply the artic silver paste.

What I do is spread an extremely thin layer on the CPU itself, and a very very small amount (half a rice grain) on the heatsink.
Other ways to apply it is:
1. Apply a small drop (1 or 1.5 rice grains) on either the HSF or CPU (don't spread it).
2. Apply several small drops on either the HSF or CPU (don't spread it).
3. Apply a small amount and spread it out evenly and thinly on either the HSF or CPU.