Crackling noises?

nadim615

Distinguished
May 28, 2010
Hi all,

I JUST got my computer, like maybe a few hours ago. And the first thing I noticed, it was making random crackling noises. I thought it might go away after a bit, it didnt. I'm pretty sure its coming from the hard drive, cuz well its coming from that vicinity. It happens every few seconds or so, and only lasts a fraction of a second, or maybe a few seconds too, depending. What do I do?! Is this normal?

You need to provide more information. It is like saying there is some noise coming from my car's engine.

Is this a desktop or a laptop?

Hard disks do make some noise. There are platters spinning inside and an actuator arm that spans the platters. How confident are you that this sound is coming from the hard disk?

If the sound is a 'clicking' sound, then the disk is failing.

nadim615

Distinguished
May 28, 2010
This is a desktop, and well I've put my ear to it :p So I can tell where its coming from.. No its not a clicking sound, so I guess I'm ok. I'm like 90% sure cuz ik where my hard disk is located, and the sound is loudest from that area

Hard disks do make some noise as it spins up and spins down. I have 4 hard disks in my computer and they do make a lot of noise that can be heard 1 floor below.

And as long as the noises are not clicking noises, you are ok. But always keep an eye out (an ear in this case) for changes in sound, vibrations, and anything abnormal.

TRENDING THREADS