Sign in with
Your question

Opening NAT

Last response: in Wireless Networking
February 20, 2010 3:54:12 PM

Hey, I'm having some trouble connecting to games on my 360. I've been told my NAT isn't set to open. I have a ubee DDW2600. I've logged on to my residential gateway configuration but I don't see any options for opening my NAT. Anyone know what the problem is?'

I've done some research and people have said to turn on Upnp but that causes problems for other things if its enabled. ????

More about : opening nat

February 20, 2010 4:08:34 PM

When using a NAT router, you typically have to open and forward specific ports on your firewall to let traffic flow freely between the Internet and that game. The firewall, by default, protects you by keeping them closed.

All routers have a section in their administration pages for that purpose. In order to make it EASIER for ppl, most routers have an option called UPnP (Universal Plug N Play). When enabled, it allows the game itself to open the port(s) it needs. The reason some ppl worry about this feature is that should malware find its way into your network, it too could manipulate those ports for its own (perhaps evil) purposes. And you would be none the wiser for it since it all happens behind the scenes.

So you have a choice. Either enable UPnP on the router, or open and forward the ports yourself. Truth is, there’s a good argument *for* UPnP too. If you manage the ports yourself, you need to remember to close them when done to maintain the highest security. If you’re not the kind of person likely to do that, then UPnP is at least smart enough to automatically close those ports when done (assuming the game is closed CLEANLY).

m
l
Anonymous
February 20, 2010 4:30:05 PM

Just assign a Static IP address to the xBox and put it in the DMZ on the router.
m
l
June 3, 2012 7:36:25 PM

eibgrad said:
When using a NAT router, you typically have to open and forward specific ports on your firewall to let traffic flow freely between the Internet and that game. The firewall, by default, protects you by keeping them closed.

All routers have a section in their administration pages for that purpose. In order to make it EASIER for ppl, most routers have an option called UPnP (Universal Plug N Play). When enabled, it allows the game itself to open the port(s) it needs. The reason some ppl worry about this feature is that should malware find its way into your network, it too could manipulate those ports for its own (perhaps evil) purposes. And you would be none the wiser for it since it all happens behind the scenes.

So you have a choice. Either enable UPnP on the router, or open and forward the ports yourself. Truth is, there’s a good argument *for* UPnP too. If you manage the ports yourself, you need to remember to close them when done to maintain the highest security. If you’re not the kind of person likely to do that, then UPnP is at least smart enough to automatically close those ports when done (assuming the game is closed CLEANLY).

where do i go to change my nat?? comptuer, ps3? im lost on it
m
l
!