H70 won't fit on maximujs iv gene-z

mechagodzilla_05

Distinguished
Mar 7, 2011
Hello. I wanted to upgrade to an Intel chip finally so I got an i5 2500k, an Asus Maximus Gene-z and a Corsair H70. I am going to have to return the H70 because board is too small and the fan slots are too close to the video cards. I managed to squeeze the top video card under the H70, but I was not able to get the crossfire bridge on. My case is an Antec DF-85. Any suggestions on a good heat sync or other water cooling unit?

i5 2500k
Asus Maximus Gene-z
HIS 6950 x 2
Silverstone Strider plus 1000W
Corsair xms3 ram
Antec DF-85 case

Yeah, I had that problem when I mounted my Rad on the back exhaust vent. Of course my 2 CF bridges wouldn't fit. But luckily for me, they were those flexible kind and the Top part which was causing the hassle did not have any contacts on it, it was just a piece of extended PCB board to make it easy to hold, I just clipped it off carefully, it was about 5mm in length and that was all it took.
Check out your CF bridge and see if that's the same part that's causing a problem. If it is, you could do away with it.
Or you could go in for another CF bridge that fits, rather then sending the H70 back....

bridges.jpg

You see that transparent piece just behind the black CF Slot? That's the one I cut off..... and works like a charm.

mechagodzilla_05

Distinguished
Mar 7, 2011
Yep that's my case and board, but I was barely able to get my card to squeeze in under the h70 radiator, it was a stretch. I also tried cutting off that little plastic tab on my crossfire bridge, but I still couldn't get it to go on there flat. This board is much shorter than my 990xa-ud3 was. The exhaust vent on the top back is too close to the top to have room for it and the top vents are 140s, so I couldn't put it up there either.

mechagodzilla_05

Distinguished
Mar 7, 2011
Ok, I will probably go with the hyper212. I see people saying they are getting good temps at 4.5 ghz, is that about the safe max with that cooler? The only thing that worries me about it is there are some people saying it blocks one of their ram slots.