Sign in with
Your question
Solved

Importance of PSUs

Last response: in Components
January 9, 2010 7:30:10 PM

How important are Power Supply units ?
What roles do they play ?
What is the best PSU right now out there ?

More about : importance psus

a b ) Power supply
January 9, 2010 7:49:01 PM

a power supply is the heart of the pc.keeping everything else going

for the best power supply the answer is subjective because you have to select a power supply according to your specific needs
m
l

Best solution

a c 135 ) Power supply
January 9, 2010 8:03:03 PM

The sweet spot for PSU's right now are the 650 watters for single GFX cards and 850 watters for twin GFX cards. The best PSU's for the enthusiast market right now, based upon electrical performance and quietness) can be found on the Editor's Choice List here:

http://www.silentpcreview.com/Recommended_PSUs

Antec Signature Series
Antec CP-850
Enermax Modu82+ 625W
Seasonic X-650
Seasonic M12D 850W

If not worried about noise, see what gets a 10.0 performance rating over at jonnyguru.com
Antec Signature Series
Antec CP-850
Seasonic X-650
Corsair HX Series

Now unless you are going to be doing serious overclocking, whether or not you "need" the "best" is highly questionable. If doinf moderate OC's, or running stock, certainly a step down in price category is not going to leave you wanting. The Corsair TX series or Antec Earthwatts (9.0) Antec TPQ (9.5) Corsair TX (8.5-9.5 depending on model) are good choices

Related resources
January 9, 2010 8:36:38 PM

JackNaylorPE said:
The sweet spot for PSU's right now are the 650 watters for single GFX cards and 850 watters for twin GFX cards. The best PSU's for the enthusiast market right now, based upon electrical performance and quietness) can be found on the Editor's Choice List here:

Antec Signature Series
Antec CP-850
Enermax Modu82+ 625W
Seasonic X-650
Seasonic M12D 850W

If not worried about noise, see what gets a 10.0 performance rating over at jonnyguru.com
Antec Signature Series
Antec CP-850
Seasonic X-650
Corsair HX Series

Now unless you are going to be doing serious overclocking, whether or not you "need" the "best" is highly questionable. If doinf moderate OC's, or running stock, certainly a step down in price category is not going to leave you wanting. The Corsair TX series or Antec Earthwatts (9.0) Antec TPQ (9.5) Corsair TX (8.5-9.5 depending on model) are good choices

ummm..........What is overclocking ?
m
l
a b ) Power supply
January 9, 2010 9:58:09 PM

That's like the fifth time somebody said Corsair power supplies are noisy. I have several and none of them make any noise. 2 different 850's too.
m
l
a c 243 ) Power supply
January 9, 2010 10:27:44 PM

swifty_morgan said:
That's like the fifth time somebody said Corsair power supplies are noisy. I have several and none of them make any noise. 2 different 850's too.

It's subjective, some people have hyper sensitive hearing.
I've yet to hear one make any noise.
m
l
a b ) Power supply
January 9, 2010 11:11:31 PM

Well from personal expirience, i think it isn't really based on the PSU weather its noisy or not, i am pretty convinced is how its mounted. PSU's mounted with a fan facing downward can make noise and i've tested it out many times before. The conclusion I came to is that when the fan is facing downward, it can press down on its bearing causing very light friction but enough to produce a tiny high pitched sound that some people like myself can hear, however if its inside an enclosed case it shouldn't be notice by most people. However my this is an opinion and questionable.

And ninjawarlord, a power supply is just what the name says it is, it provides your computer power and its importance is enough that if you dont have one, your computer wont work...
m
l
a c 243 ) Power supply
January 9, 2010 11:19:23 PM

blackhawk1928 said:
PSU's mounted with a fan facing downward can make noise

I've never mounted a psu with the fan up.
m
l
a b ) Power supply
January 9, 2010 11:25:55 PM

Well in many of my other computer and some older builds, the PSU is mounted on the top of the case with the fan facing upward. My old computer had an OCZ Stealthstream 500watt or something, but its fan was upward and it was silent, now i have a corsair 850TX mounted on the bottom with a downward fan and it very rarely can make a high pitch very faint noise (or at least i think its the PSU, it could be another component but i am pretty sure it is) IT only happens when I open up a certain application which is madden nfl 08. Other then that i never hear it happen so IDK what it is, maybe its my hears lol.
m
l
a c 144 ) Power supply
January 9, 2010 11:31:38 PM

delluser1 said:
I've never mounted a psu with the fan up.

3 Antec 900 cases, 2 with Corsair PSU's, 1 with Antec. Bottom mounted PSU's. All pretty quiet.

But noise is one of those subjective things.
m
l
a c 243 ) Power supply
January 9, 2010 11:47:29 PM

jsc said:

But noise is one of those subjective things.

Exactly.
I'm not disputing other's experience's, just sharing mine. ;) 
m
l
a c 135 ) Power supply
January 10, 2010 3:24:22 PM

swifty_morgan said:

Noise is relative. A quiet library may be "whisper quiet" at 40db, but not compared to a quiet bedroom at night at 30dB. You'll notice that not a single Corsair PSU makes the Editor's Choice list:

It's not that Corsair PSU's are loud, it's just that others are quieter. A companies design philosophy is based upon hitting a certain price point. Electrically, the Corsair HX series PSU's are the match for the Antec SG and CP series. However, Ante has invested just a bit more money in adding an extra level of quietness, in strivinbg toi hit their demographic targets.

If you want a great PSU that's relatively quiet, go for the HX ..... if you want a great PSU that's super quiet, get the CP or SG from Antec.

m
l
a b ) Power supply
January 10, 2010 3:44:41 PM

seasonic is also very quiet
m
l
!