CPU: 2.8c P4
PSU: Thermaltake 430w
GPU: ATI Radeon X700 Pro 256mb (AGP)
RAM: 1GB PQI PC2700
1 CDRW Drive
1 Seagate 80GB HDD
Sound: Creative Audigy 2 Value
LAN: LNE100TX

The computer started originally as a Dell Dimension 4600i but I slowly began replacing its parts. The latest additions were the motherboard and the processor, because when I bought the ATI x700 Pro, it would not function with the stock Dell motherboard.. I just figured it was a compatibility issue. The computer would show no display, though the fans would come on and the computer would seem to boot itself, while the monitor would remain in power save mode.

So, I replaced the motherboard and it came with a brand new processor. I installed Windows, booted her up, and this is how it went:

1) Booted up with display (VGA cable connected to AGP card), got 640x480res, 4-bit color. Windows did not automatically install drivers for the AGP card. (Browsers would also crash whenever displaying flash plugins, popups, etc.)
2) Went ahead and installed the newest Omega drivers for the card, restarted.
3) Booted with display, same 640x480res, 4-bit color. Checked Device Manager. Had EIGHT entries for my x700 Pro, all with question marks. Checking status revealed the following error: "Not enough resources.. (Code 12) ..please disable.. etc." So I restarted.
4) Went into bios, found the 'Initial Graphics Adapter Priority' parameter in my BIOS. Was set to 'PCI/AGP', changed it to 'AGP/PCI' and set the AGP Aperture to 256MB, restarted.
5) No screen, monitor in power save mode just like it was with my previous mobo.
6) Restarted 4-5 times, finally booted WITH display, card was recognized, drivers installed, 800x600res, 32-bit color.
7) Ran ATI Tool, checked SMARTgart settings, revealed the following: 'AGP Speed - Off', 'AGP Read - Off', 'AGP Write - Off', 'PCI Read - On', 'PCI Write - On'. So, I switched these settings, all AGP to 'On' and all PCI to 'Off' and rebooted.
8) Power save mode again, no display.

After that, I gave up for the night. Next day:

1) Remove AGP card, booted with onboard video. Changed BIOS settings with AGP Aperture set to 'Auto', booted into Windows, went to Device Manager, uninstalled the onboard video controller, turned off the computer. Installed AGP card again.
2) Booted up computer, got a display. Went into Windows, 800x600res, 32-bit, checked ATI Tool. This time, all of the parameters in the SMARTgart category were set to 'Off' and yet the card was recognized. Only a single entry in the Device Manager. I was still able to monitor clock speeds and temps, played a game utilizing OpenGL, and it ran smoothly.
3) Turned the computer off for the night.
(I also flashed the BIOS figuring maybe Asus rectified this issue.. went from version 1005 to 1007 successfully.)

Today:

Came out, booted her up and she loaded 640x480 w/4-bit AGAIN. Checked Device Manager, had 8 entries again for my video card, all with question marks next to them.. uninstalled drivers, reinstalled drivers, restarted, same thing. 8 entries, stuck in lo-res mode, all with that 'Not enough resources' deal.
So I Googled a bit, saw someone said something about setting AGP aperture from 'Auto' to 256mb to fix the error. Rebooted, and now I'm stuck in power save mode again.

So, it seems as if my computer doesn't like it when I set the AGP aperture to 256mb.. but it likes it when I leave it at 'Auto', even though ATI Tool doesn't recognize it as an AGP card, and I apparently cannot maintain driver installation.. Any ideas at all? I'm at such a loss.

The card can't be fried, because it does display. I can change settings, adjust clock speeds, monitor temps. The mobo and processor are brand new. I flashed BIOs to the newest version as well, so it can't be a compatibility issue. It has to come down to a BIOS setting OR a driver issue, but I don't know what to do and I'm extremely, EXTREMELY frustrated.. :/

chowmanga

Distinguished
Jun 30, 2008
Did you make sure that your dell supports motherboard/cpu upgrades? I remember trying to upgrade my mom's dell, it turned out that for that model (dimension 8400 I think...), I could only replace the ram and graphics card. OEM's like to try to keep upgrading to a minimum for support reasons among other things.

chris1215

Distinguished
Nov 2, 2009
None of the parts in it are originally from a Dell, save for the CDRW drive.. so I shouldn't have even mentioned that. The processor, motherboard, power supply, hard drive, graphics card, LAN card, sound card and RAM are all from Newegg. The only things from Dell are the case and the CDRW drive.. so that has nothing to do with it.

As an update, I got the computer to boot with the VGA cable connected to the x700pro, but for some reason I'm still stuck in lo-res mode and Windows is detecting EIGHT video controllers and automatically installs drivers for each of them.. still getting the 'Not enough resources.. please disable another device.. (Code 12)' error.

chowmanga

Distinguished
Jun 30, 2008
You get the "not enough resources" message when there isn't enough ram. Try starting in windows safe mode so it won't run your all your startup apps. If that works okay, go to msconfig and turn off all your startup apps. If not, see if you can buy or borrow another stick of ram and try that.

chowmanga

Distinguished
Jun 30, 2008
I found this: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/310123

Code 12
This device cannot find enough free resources that it can use. If you want to use this device, you will need to disable one of the other devices on this system. (Code 12)
Cause

This error can occur if two devices that are installed on your computer have been assigned the same I/O ports, the same interrupt, or the same Direct Memory Access channel (either by the BIOS, the operating system, or both). This error message can also appear if the BIOS did not allocate enough resources to the device.

Recommended resolution

You can use the Troubleshooting Wizard in Device Manager to determine where the conflict is, and then disable the conflicting device.

Disable the conflicting device

1. On the device Properties dialog box, click the General tab.
2. Click Troubleshoot to start the Troubleshooting Wizard. The wizard asks you some simple questions and provides a solution to your problem based on the answers that you provide.
3. Follow the resolution steps provided by the wizard to resolve the problem.

It looks like you've already done this. If problems persist, it continues....

If uninstalling devices does not resolve this problem, unfortunately, you might have to reinstall Windows. We recommend that you contact Support for help with this problem. For information about how to do this, visit the following Microsoft Web site:
http://support.microsoft.com/contactus (http://support.microsoft.com/contactus)

You may be SOL but I would try older drivers as megamanx00 suggested.