Up-grading Dell Inspiron 530s Graphics card

Spudulike

Distinguished
Nov 2, 2009
Hi all,

I (regretfully) bought a Dell Insprion 530s last year. It has a slim line PC tower so all the componants inside it have to be slim or low-profile. I currently have an ATI Radeon HD 2400 Pro with 256Mb of memory. It also has a Intel Core 2 Duo at 3Ghz and about 3Gb of DDR2 SDRAM.

I really want to upgrade my graphics card to, as good as I can get, for maximum improvement. Now i know not all graphics cards will fit inside of my tower and I really don't want to get a new tower so the graphics card has to be a low profile one. And i know i won't gain the full benefits from buying a rediculously powerfull one if i dont upgrade everything else.
So all i want really is a good upgrade to my current card. Only thing is I don't really know what to look for or where to look for it. Money isn't really an obstacle either as low profile cards aren't too expensive.

Cheers for any suggestions!

KidHorn

Distinguished
Oct 8, 2009
4650 is a good choice.

You need to be careful about your power supply. Dell tends to use as low a power supply as they need. If you have one of their 305w power supplies, you may need to upgrade it.

It probably has a "TFX" 250 watt power supply. The 4650 low profile (@39 watts)mentioned by TheViper would probably be your best choice. There's also a 9800GT (@100 watts) and 3 9600GT (@73 watts) low profile or low profile ready cards available, but they may be too much for the stock PSU.