Sign in with
Your question

Power supply and graphic card

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
November 2, 2009 4:54:55 PM

i have ati 4850, i asked before in this forum about my vga high temperature in idle mode and sometimes it freezes in some heavy games and my screen goes blank and i should restart my system , i want to know a weak power supply can make a vga to make more heat ? if yes why is that ?

i have asus p5q, cpu q6600, ram 2x2gb 1066, vga ati 4850 512mb, 2x500gb sataII (raid), one dvd writer, one 56k modem, one adsl modem, one 1tb external hard drive, one external fan, at least 5 usb devices

how much power do i need for this system ?
November 2, 2009 5:04:10 PM

A 500w psu would satisfy the system needs efficiently.....What is ur current psu capacity?......IF u want 2 know accurately then Google "power calculator"......
November 2, 2009 5:19:15 PM

mine is 530w, but i dont know why my vga acts this way ! i dont know how to fix it !
Related resources
November 2, 2009 5:26:52 PM

Ur card is running at high temp....that doesnt mean u have issues with the power....get a 120mm and find a spot on ur chassis 2 place it.....make sure everything is ventilated enough.....ur GPU fan may be dust laden.....clean it.....
a b ) Power supply
November 2, 2009 5:27:44 PM

so what's the load temperature? if it gets like 110c you should add some case fans and clean the dust from the heatsink... weak psu won't make it heat up more.

also check the cpu temps while you're at it, and test memory by running memtest86+ for like 8 hours or so.
November 2, 2009 5:34:44 PM

idle temperature is about 80 !
in some games after 10-15 minutes the game crashes and screen goes blank and monitor shows out of optimal resolution message, and the only way is to restart !
I have a 120mm fan in my chassis , also cleaned my vga fan, but not a chance !
November 2, 2009 5:39:19 PM

Get Gpu-z and record the temperature after booting....I mean after shutting down the system for 2 hours or so.....see whether the temp spikes are happening suddenly or over a period of time.....jus change the OS and check the card....
a b ) Power supply
November 2, 2009 5:41:29 PM

does the fan ramp up the revs under load? you could manually set the fan speed somewhat higher in the CCC
November 2, 2009 5:44:39 PM

yes it will goes up, but as i said before after some time it crashes !
i manually set the fan speed to higher values , it will cool down the gpu about 25 degrees, but it just save some more time and it crashes after a longer time
November 2, 2009 5:46:08 PM

the fan does dyanmically change the speed according 2 the load....u can get riva tuner and set the fan speed to 100% and see if it works....u also may try by downclocking the GPU....see if it helps.....
November 2, 2009 6:16:38 PM

so if it helps, then what should i do ? change vga ?
a b ) Power supply
November 2, 2009 6:57:44 PM

You could also get some new thermal paste. Take off the cooler, clean it with alcoholic and a swap, then reapply paste. Sometimes the factory paste isn't applied correctly. I've fixed a card by doing this already. If its a problem that just started happening, the paste maybe oozing out or turning solid.
!