Sign in with
Your question

Need Mac compatible router to connect printer and hard drive to

Last response: in Wireless Networking
February 20, 2010 6:02:46 PM

I currently have a d-link dir-655. I am very frustrated with it's shareport utility that doesn't seem to work on our mac's or pc's. I actually had it working on my mac for one day but now nothing will make it work. I'd rather not replace the wireless router because it's only 8 months old and everything else about it is great. So I have a two part question.

1. If I keep the router, what options do I have for connecting my printer and hard drive to the network? Because we are on mac's and pc's, they don't talk well, so I don't want to hard wire anything.

2. If I replace the router, what routers do people suggest that are mac friendly and have some way of connecting my peripheral devices?

Thanks!
February 20, 2010 6:06:51 PM

forgot to say that we have a lot of neighboring wireless router interference, so it needs to be good with that too. Our last router was a netgear and we gave it away because it couldn't handle it. It was only a few months old. I don't remember the exact model.
m
l
Related resources
February 20, 2010 6:08:28 PM

twerkema said:
forgot to say that we have a lot of neighboring wireless router interference, so it needs to be good with that too. Our last router was a netgear and we gave it away because it couldn't handle it. It was only a few months old. I don't remember the exact model.

http://www.apple.com/airportextreme/ (it's dual band too)
m
l
February 20, 2010 6:11:16 PM

Can I connect two devices simultaneously? I see it only has one USB port.

Also, from anyone else, I would love to hear other options.
m
l
February 20, 2010 6:21:41 PM

twerkema said:
Can I connect two devices simultaneously? I see it only has one USB port.

Also, from anyone else, I would love to hear other options.

Yes, because you can always connect a USB hub for support of additional USB devices.

http://www.apple.com/airportextreme/features/harddrives...

"What if you’d like to exchange files over your wireless network and still have access to a wireless printer? Easy. Just connect a USB hub to AirPort Extreme and attach your devices to the hub. Share both a printer and a hard drive, multiple printers, multiple hard drives, or a combination."

It's an awesome router, esp. for the Apple centric, only issue is the price.
m
l
February 20, 2010 6:28:06 PM

Thank you eibgrad. That may be my only reasonable option. Since we've gone through two in the past year, if this one lasted, it'd cost the same.

I would still love to hear other opinions, but have a feeling there's not much else out there.
m
l
!