How can I choose 'docs & settings' and 'prog files' folder..

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.configuration_manage,microsoft.public.windowsxp.customize,microsoft.public.windowsxp.setup_deployment (More info?)

When installing OS's I prefer to have user data (Documents and Settings) and
applications (Program Files) on separate partitions/drives from the system
(Windows/WinNT). Each time I've installed XP and tried to set these folders
to be on anything but the same drive as the system, I end up having to
manually force, via the registry, the path for many different folders. This
is mainly the case for the subfolders of profiles. Is there not an easier
and more importantly, cleaner way of doing this? I've heard of the
deployment tool but do not know how to use it. Also, although I have more
than one computer at home, and could network them to serve up setup files,
this would be inconvenient. If possible, floppy disks would be a preferable
solution.

Regards,
Nik

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.configuration_manage,microsoft.public.windowsxp.customize,microsoft.public.windowsxp.setup_deployment (More info?)

Its to cut down on fragmentation, and leave the system drive/partition as
'static' as possible.

"Jetro" <ik9480@spam.rogers.com> wrote in message
> There is no real reason changing Program Files location.
>
> http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=236621
> Cannot Move or Rename the Documents and Settings Folder

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.configuration_manage,microsoft.public.windowsxp.customize,microsoft.public.windowsxp.setup_deployment (More info?)

Program files can be change by the following settings in unattend.exe

[Unattended]
ProgramFilesDir="D:\Program Files"
CommonProgramFilesDir=""D:\Program Files\Common Files"

regards
Johan Arwidmark

Windows User Group - Nordic
http://www.wug-nordic.net

On Wed, 25 Aug 2004 14:56:40 +0100, "Nik Blackwell"
<nik_blackwell@hotmail.com> wrote:

>When installing OS's I prefer to have user data (Documents and Settings) and
>applications (Program Files) on separate partitions/drives from the system
>(Windows/WinNT). Each time I've installed XP and tried to set these folders
>to be on anything but the same drive as the system, I end up having to
>manually force, via the registry, the path for many different folders. This
>is mainly the case for the subfolders of profiles. Is there not an easier
>and more importantly, cleaner way of doing this? I've heard of the
>deployment tool but do not know how to use it. Also, although I have more
>than one computer at home, and could network them to serve up setup files,
>this would be inconvenient. If possible, floppy disks would be a preferable
>solution.
>
>Regards,
> Nik

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.configuration_manage,microsoft.public.windowsxp.customize,microsoft.public.windowsxp.setup_deployment (More info?)

I've heard of unattend.exe before, and am aware of that setting. My question
was more about how to go about the whole process. Also my main problem is
with 'Documents and Settings', and then additional profiles defaulting to
the system drive.

"Johan Arwidmark" <johan.please_respond_to_forum.arwidmark@lutteman.se>
wrote in message news:6eepi0tkr6dt08uiv28at23ec9t3235nqe@4ax.com...
> Program files can be change by the following settings in unattend.exe
>
> [Unattended]
> ProgramFilesDir="D:\Program Files"
> CommonProgramFilesDir=""D:\Program Files\Common Files"
>

> regards
> Johan Arwidmark
>
> Windows User Group - Nordic
> http://www.wug-nordic.net
>

> On Wed, 25 Aug 2004 14:56:40 +0100, "Nik Blackwell"
> <nik_blackwell@hotmail.com> wrote:
>
>>When installing OS's I prefer to have user data (Documents and Settings)
>>and
>>applications (Program Files) on separate partitions/drives from the system
>>(Windows/WinNT). Each time I've installed XP and tried to set these
>>folders
>>to be on anything but the same drive as the system, I end up having to
>>manually force, via the registry, the path for many different folders.
>>This
>>is mainly the case for the subfolders of profiles. Is there not an easier
>>and more importantly, cleaner way of doing this? I've heard of the
>>deployment tool but do not know how to use it. Also, although I have more
>>than one computer at home, and could network them to serve up setup files,
>>this would be inconvenient. If possible, floppy disks would be a
>>preferable
>>solution.
>>
>>Regards,
>> Nik

jeff

Hi Nik,

If you are doing fresh installs, then using the unattended
is the best way to have the Documents and Settings folder
on a different drive.

If you want to do this on a system already loaded and with
users accounts on it, then you can do it also, but its
more involed. I have done this on 10 systems and will
have to do it again on 65 more systems

For us, we want the Documents and Settings folder on the D
drive, because that is the drive that gets backed up. Our
users are instructed to save all data in the My Documents
folder or if they create a shared folder on their PC, to
place it on the D drive.

If you want to know how to change the Documents and
Settings folder on exisitng systems, then check out my
post on Aug 23rd called Documents and Settings in the
Customizing your Computer group. If you have questions on
it, email me at hell-fire@yahoo.com. I have used this
procedure successfully on all the systems I`ve worked on.

Jeff

Ok, in order to change location for documents and settings you can use
the ProfilesDir value in the [GuiUnattended] section...

This entry is valid only on clean installations of Windows XP or
Windows Server 2003

and I of course ment unattend.txt (not .exe...a typo...) :)

regards
Johan Arwidmark

Windows User Group - Nordic
http://www.wug-nordic.net

On Wed, 25 Aug 2004 17:57:08 +0100, "Nik Blackwell"
<nik_blackwell@hotmail.com> wrote:

>I've heard of unattend.exe before, and am aware of that setting. My question
>was more about how to go about the whole process. Also my main problem is
>with 'Documents and Settings', and then additional profiles defaulting to
>the system drive.
>
>"Johan Arwidmark" <johan.please_respond_to_forum.arwidmark@lutteman.se>
>wrote in message news:6eepi0tkr6dt08uiv28at23ec9t3235nqe@4ax.com...
>> Program files can be change by the following settings in unattend.exe
>>
>> [Unattended]
>> ProgramFilesDir="D:\Program Files"
>> CommonProgramFilesDir=""D:\Program Files\Common Files"
>>

>> regards
>> Johan Arwidmark
>>
>> Windows User Group - Nordic
>> http://www.wug-nordic.net
>>

>> On Wed, 25 Aug 2004 14:56:40 +0100, "Nik Blackwell"
>> <nik_blackwell@hotmail.com> wrote:
>>
>>>When installing OS's I prefer to have user data (Documents and Settings)
>>>and
>>>applications (Program Files) on separate partitions/drives from the system
>>>(Windows/WinNT). Each time I've installed XP and tried to set these
>>>folders
>>>to be on anything but the same drive as the system, I end up having to
>>>manually force, via the registry, the path for many different folders.
>>>This
>>>is mainly the case for the subfolders of profiles. Is there not an easier
>>>and more importantly, cleaner way of doing this? I've heard of the
>>>deployment tool but do not know how to use it. Also, although I have more
>>>than one computer at home, and could network them to serve up setup files,
>>>this would be inconvenient. If possible, floppy disks would be a
>>>preferable
>>>solution.
>>>
>>>Regards,
>>> Nik

Hi Nik,

I answered your post in Customizing your computer on how
to move D&S

Jeff

>-----$B85$N%a%C%;!<%8(B-----
>Its to cut down on fragmentation, and leave the system
drive/partition as
>'static' as possible.
>
>"Jetro" <ik9480@spam.rogers.com> wrote in message
>> There is no real reason changing Program Files location.
>>
>> http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=236621
>> Cannot Move or Rename the Documents and Settings Folder
>>

>.

On Thu, 26 Aug 2004 06:33:16 -0700, "Mik"

>I too have a seperate harddrive for all my files and
>stuff. Most programmes have an option to let you put files
>where you want them, not XP.

Two words: TweakUI XP :)

But you are right in that you may not be able to move the whole of
"C:\Documents and Settings". What you can do is move the "My ..."
ghettos out of the account subtree to wherever you like.

This I do, always.

Trouble is, every newly-created account will start off with the MS
duhfault paths. If you can fix *that*, please tell me!

>I haven't a clue what your on about, "the
>[GuiUnattended] section..." of what?

Installation response file. WinNT.exe /? for syntax.

>>Each time I've installed XP and tried to
>>set these folders to be on anything but the
>>same drive as the system, I end
>>up having to manually force, via the
>>registry, the path for many different folders.

Yep. Even using TweakUI, some cleanup remains (esp. for the hidden
service accounts, "My Videos", and some AllUsers).

MS Messenger's dumping ground has to be set within MS Messenger
(Preferences), it can't even be done in Regedit!

>I've heard of the deployment tool but do not know
>how to use it.

Join the club

>-------------- ---- --- -- - - - -
"I think it's time we took our
friendship to the next level"
'What, gender roles and abuse?'
>-------------- ---- --- -- - - - -

Hi,

You can relocate the Documents and Settings folders to
another drive. Its just a little time consuming, Take an
average about 30 to 40 minutes to do and 2 reboots. I
have done it on 10 systems and have to do it on a bunch
more. If you like to know how to relocate the Documents
and Settings folder to D drive or whatever drive. Email
me at hell-fire@yahoo.com. I can send you a word file
that details how to change the location of Documents and
Settings. Also I have posted in "Customizing Your
Computer" section as well, Topic is Documents and Settings.

Jeff

"Johan Arwidmark" wrote:
> Program files can be change by the following settings in unattend.exe
>
> [Unattended]
> ProgramFilesDir="D:\Program Files"
> CommonProgramFilesDir=""D:\Program Files\Common Files"

Excuse me Johan,
Do you have (or know where to find) the complete syntax for the Unattend.txt
file?
Thanx in advance!
Matt