2 drives at same time SSD + SpinDrive

soli

Distinguished
Aug 31, 2009
Hi I got me my self an SSD drive,I build my own system with my regular caviar black about year and a half a go,and since all are raging how good is to have SSD as a boot drive I said great I'll try it out.

Well here is my problem,I already have the spin drive installed win7 on it,so I unpluged the spin drive,connected the SSD and had installed win7 on it and set it up as a boot drive.

But now when I connect the WD it dont show as an option of boot drive in BIOS,I dont want it to be a boot drive but why isnt showing? That was just a question,my main problem is when I boot win7 with the SSD I can see the WD as drive F:/ but I cant use anything from it,I have all my stuff installed there,GPU drivers,games,small programs etc etc etc....I thought that I can use the SSD for booting and some other stuff but that I can be also available to use the WD aplications at the same time while win7 booted from the SSD,I understand that whatever aplication is on the WD will not make it faster working iven though I booted win7 with the SSD but I cant open anything from the WD F drive.

Is this a problem because in bios once I plug in the SSD the WD is not shown as bootable drive? I mean what I'm I doing wrong,I want to boot with the SSD which have win7 installed on it,but also to be able to use the WD at the same tiome to launch my games and programs,I want to see all my programs icons on the desktop available for use,why I cant have both drives working in conjuction.

I have never before used 2 drives,I'm new to this,I dont want to boot win7 for my games have to open the side pannel disconect the SSD in order to boot from the WD....What I'm I doing wrong seems people can use their SSD and regular drives at the same time and have all their icon and stuff downloaded on the regular drives at disposal for usage when booted win7 from the SSD....

cadder

Distinguished
Nov 17, 2008
OK, maybe my response wasn't complete- you would have to reinstall your apps in order for them to run while your have booted from your SSD. When you install an app it puts the app in its own folder but it puts DLL's in other places and also writes stuff to the registry that is on C:. This is why the apps don't run now that you switched their drive to D:, you aren't using the DLL's or registry that relate to the installed app. Boot from your SSD then install your apps and it will put everything where it needs to be. You can still install your apps and have most of the app stored on your mechanical drive instead of the SSD, but there will still be bits written to the SSD that are necessary for running the app. When you install an app it usually asks if you want to install it in a folder such as "C:/program files/appname" but it allows you to change that, so you could tell it to install the app on D: instead of C:.

soli

Distinguished
Aug 31, 2009
ok so pretty much im stuck since its only 64GB SSD,cause if I install the apps to the SSD it will eat up memory,so what is a good use of the SSD then as a boot drive,start the PC faster and maeby transfering apps to the regular drive.

The way I see it i have to go trough some steps to preserve the drive memory,maeby install few hardware monitoring apps,get ATI drivers,get STEAM and Origin and get RO2 and BF3 when they become available,and pretty much thats all I can do except I can see advantage transfering Data files to the spin drive in faster order.....Wish SSD were cheaper so that I can buy descent 256GB and dont have to deal with all of this multiple drive stuff.

Cadder any idea why in bios my regular spin drive is not detected in the boot drive option when I plug in the SSD?