Sign in with
Your question

Giving away my 8800GTS 512 ***WINNER ANNOUNCED***

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
a b U Graphics card
November 2, 2009 5:43:40 PM

Hey everyone, I recently upgraded my friend's computer by selling him my old 4870x2 for real cheap, and he gave me his 8800GTS 512 to either use in a new system, or to keep as a backup card.

Well, a few months have gone by and I can tell I will most likely never use it. With that being said it is a fairly decent card that still has some life left in it! Most games can be run on high, newer games on medium (1600X1200 and lower). It could also be used for PhysX I suppose, and folding.

I see that some people have decent rigs, but sometimes lack in the video card area.

The card is an MSI, and is an overclocked version, it has been used for a few years but is in great shape.
So, I want to give it away, all I ask is that whoever gets it pays the shipping via paypal. (probably less than 10 bucks I imagine) If you're reeeeeeeealy strapped for cash maybe, just maybe I will pay for shipping too.

Here are the regulations for getting the card:

1.) you have a very low-end card in your system such as Nvidia 7 series, ATI 8 series or lower.... or a card that you think is crappy regardless of the series number.

2.) you have, or are going to have a sufficent power supply to run this card. "Minimum recommended power supply with +12 Volt current rating of 26 Amp Amps."

I would say that a high quality 500W or better should suffice.

3.) You do not have an obsolete CPU

sorry guys, if you have a P4 you're not getting this.

4.) you live in the United States

5.) You list your computer specs in this thread, and give me a very brief reason why you need this card!

Thanks for looking guys, the main idea of this give-away is to help spruce up someone's computer who is less fortunate, please do not lie about specs, and good luck!

I will decide the winner on Wed. November 4th.

EDIT: On a similar note, Sparky13 has decided to offer up his unused Rosewill 550W Power Supply, he will even pay for shipping, you can check out the thread here: http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/269452-28-giving-rose...

November 2, 2009 5:51:19 PM

Now thats some good will gesture....Cheers.....
November 2, 2009 6:18:15 PM

Jeez, that is awesome man, a great deed of you.

Well, here are my specs.

Processor: Athlon X2 4200+ OC'd to 2.81GHz (soon to be replaced by a Phenom 2 940)
GPU: Nvidia (think its an EVGA, cant be sure) 7600GS
4GB of RAM

And I just upgraded my power supply to a Rosewill 630 watt. Its more than enough to run the card.

I'd love to use the card because I've been longing to upgrade the GPU for a very very long time, and I've finally decided to do it yesterday. Been looking at the Radeon cards, because while the 7600 still runs modern games, its just not cutting it anymore. I've just bought Borderlands and I'm even having trouble running it at 1024x768. Its come to the point where I either give up PC gaming, or upgrade, which is why this card will be very useful for me.
Related resources
a c 140 U Graphics card
November 2, 2009 6:53:03 PM

OMG that is an awesome gesture. I used to have an 8800GTS/512MB, great card.

Can I put my cousin's system up for the vote? I'd pay for the shipping just so he could actually play some games with me. He'd love to play come FarCry2 and Crysis. Although I'm not sure if his x1950xt/256MB card falls in your old card category. Technically it is the same gen as an Nvidia 7xxx card.... Anyways, the guy has 2 daughters, 2 and 6 months, and doesn't have the cash for new equipment. Could be a nice gift for him.

System (I know I built it)
Gigabyte LGA775 P965 mobo
Core2 E6400
2GB G.Skill DDR800
Seagate 250GB
CoolMax 600W PSU
Saphire x1950xt 256MB
November 2, 2009 6:57:35 PM

ILL TAKE IT!!!!
November 2, 2009 10:46:22 PM

I have:

Asus A8N-SLI Deluxe
AMD Athlon 64 3700+ 2.2ghz
eVGA 7800 GT DDR3 256mb
2 GB Corsair RAM
600w Power Supply
Windows XP SP3

I bought this PC used because I am a gamer with a daughter now and the budget in no way can support a new rig. I live in Montana and will pay for shipping charges. Thank you for your consideration.

Raymond
a b U Graphics card
November 2, 2009 10:54:14 PM

Annisman said:

2.) you have, or are going to have a sufficent power supply to run this card. "Minimum recommended power supply with +12 Volt current rating of 26 Amp Amps."

I would say that a high quality 500W or better should suffice.

First let me say that the entire idea is a very nice gesture.
8800GTS will run without a hitch on an Antec 380.
a c 130 U Graphics card
November 2, 2009 10:56:45 PM

I have an E5300CPU, and am gaming on integrated graphics. The integrated is horrible, being an nVidia 7050. I am forced to use external scripts to run my games, and I game in Direct-X 7. I do not strive for the top; all I want is to play my games decently.
I come from a line of old computers. I've never known anything to be on High Settings. I've owned three computers:

AMD Athlon 1ghz processor
nVidia 5200FX
256MB RAM

AMD Athlon 64 2ghz processor
Radeon x700
1GB DDR 400mhz RAM (currently my gaming rig)

2'nd one explained below.

I have always helped people on this forum, and I continue to do so.

I have never used any sort of graphics above an x700 graphics card, even in my new computer, I will be using an HD4670, and I can only use this computer for 2 days out of every 14, due to parental separation issues.

Spex;
E5300CPU
550W Corsair PSU ( I was planning on asking for an HD4650 for my Birthday, or possibly Christmas. But it'd be a bit tough, considering my parents don't like spending money on, "those darn video games!")...which is why I pre-bought a PSU.
2x 140GB HDD.
2GB DDR667 single-channel RAM. (No-brand).
WinVista 32-bit.

I live in the United States (Ohio), and thank-you for considering my post.

*Also
To give you an idea of what I play on..
http://i568.photobucket.com/albums/ss129/Steve0189/Game...

In 640x480, using these scripts.
I struggle to get 40FPS.
*CS:S Pix

November 2, 2009 11:45:40 PM

Well, even if Im not chosen (man that would be awesome!), and someone else gets it...I would love to take someone's old card. My HD 3450 just doesnt cut the mustard. Heck, im not sure it would even spread the mustard, ha ha. Anyway, I have a pcie 2.0 x16 slot on my board if anyone else has a "junk card" they no longer want....Ill take anything that will max out most games @ 720 resolution
a c 130 U Graphics card
November 2, 2009 11:46:55 PM

robv60 said:
Well, even if Im not chosen (man that would be awesome!), and someone else gets it...I would love to take someone's old card. My HD 3450 just doesnt cut the mustard. Heck, im not sure it would even spread the mustard, ha ha. Anyway, I have a pcie 2.0 x16 slot on my board if anyone else has a "junk card" they no longer want....Ill take anything that will max out most games @ 720 resolution

Just be happy, yo. Anything you have is more than 10x better than mine. With that knowledge, sleep well.
a b U Graphics card
November 2, 2009 11:51:25 PM

robv60 said:

See, you could have been in with a chance but you missed the most important thing. ;) 
November 3, 2009 1:53:32 AM

which was.....?
November 3, 2009 2:02:59 AM

I have a:

AMD Athlon 64 FX 60
ASUS A8N32-SLI Deluxe
2 gig Crucial Ram
Ultra LSP650 650-Watt Power Supply
WinXP Media Center

I used to play so much on my gaming desktop until my video card just stoped working. The GPU was a Nvidia 7900 gtx 521mb and since it broke i've been using my laptop. I don't game as much anymore because my laptop gets pretty hot quick, and can't handle games past low settings. I would be more then happy to pay for the S&H if I qualify, btw thanks for offering your card to us for free.
a b U Graphics card
November 3, 2009 2:14:15 AM

Very nice gesture. It makes moving on to new stuff so much easier (I feel sad retiring the old ones). I really should do that with my 2900XT (rather than letting it gather dust in the closet) but I'm lazy and I doubt there would be as much interest.
a b U Graphics card
November 3, 2009 2:55:26 AM

First of all let me say that reading some of these posts: I honestly wish I had a spare video card for everybody to give away, it will be tough choosing who gets it, please don't take it personally if you are not chosen. I will pick a winner on Wed. anyone who wants to join, just post in this thread for consideration.

Also, I plan on doing more give-aways as I upgrade (which I do very often) thanks. - annisman
a b U Graphics card
November 3, 2009 2:58:31 AM

Ah, this brings back memories. It's good to see there are still real people among the consumerist masses. :) 
November 3, 2009 3:12:04 AM

delluser1 said:
First let me say that the entire idea is a very nice gesture.
8800GTS will run without a hitch on an Antec 380.

True that
a b U Graphics card
November 3, 2009 3:20:13 AM

jay2tall said:
OMG that is an awesome gesture. I used to have an 8800GTS/512MB, great card.

Can I put my cousin's system up for the vote? I'd pay for the shipping just so he could actually play some games with me. He'd love to play come FarCry2 and Crysis. Although I'm not sure if his x1950xt/256MB card falls in your old card category. Technically it is the same gen as an Nvidia 7xxx card.... Anyways, the guy has 2 daughters, 2 and 6 months, and doesn't have the cash for new equipment. Could be a nice gift for him.

System (I know I built it)
Gigabyte LGA775 P965 mobo
Core2 E6400
2GB G.Skill DDR800
Seagate 250GB
CoolMax 600W PSU
Saphire x1950xt 256MB

yes, I will certainly consider you're cousin as a candidate.
a b U Graphics card
November 3, 2009 3:28:28 AM

Crysis on an X1950 series card. Ouch :p .
a c 355 U Graphics card
November 3, 2009 3:42:49 AM

Nice of you to give away 8800GTS, however I have to say the title of the thread is a bit misleading.

Stating "Giving away my unused 8800GTS 512" implies it has not been used at all. While it may be technically true that you never used it, it is still a used video card because it came from your friend's system.

Okay, I'm leaving this thread now before people start calling me a Grinch and toss lumps of coal at me.

a c 164 U Graphics card
November 3, 2009 3:51:06 AM

I was going to toss my name into the ring until I read that about that poor b@$t@rd who has to game using IGP. While I would love a 8800GTS, he obviously needs it more. (E6600, 4GBs, Antec EA500, and an 8800GS.)
November 3, 2009 3:56:49 AM

i just recently upgraded my cpu to athlon II x4 620... am considering a gts250 for replacing this old old x1950gt 256mb that i had... i bought this when ati has nothing good to compete with nvidia, while nvidia was charging $500+ for a decent card... this still handles WoW fine, but i would like to catch up some new games... i'm sure your 8800gts would perform very very similar result to gts250!! my psu is 600w seasonic... it should be more than capable =]

my rig currently:

amd athlon II x4 620 cpu
asus M3A78-EM mothboard
sapphire x1950gt 256mb gfx card
2gb ddr2 ram
seasonic s12 600w psu
nzxt appollo case
November 3, 2009 3:57:43 AM

I'd really love to get this for my system, but I live in Canada, it'd be nice if you could make an exception :D 

My current System is:

AMD 4200 @2.2GHz
Nvidia Nforce 4series w/intergrated graphics
3Gigs of ram
Seagate .10 250bg HDD
OCZ 500W PSU

My computer was mostly built out of things that were given to me that were left overs of my causins own builds and things that he had gotten from helping others upgrade their computers.

It would be great if I could get this card, I'm still a highschool student so getting a good card right now is really just a luxury that I cant afford~
November 3, 2009 5:01:04 AM

Love to nab this card for my wife I'll gladly pay you for shipping as well. She's rocking an evga 7800 GT CO SE at the moment and its a tad lacking when she plays games at 1680x1050. Rest of the specs: Core2 duo E6400 2.13 oc @ 3.0, 4 gigs of Crucial Ballistix Tracer 1066 ram, on a MSI P6N Diamond 680i mobo. She's got a Rosewill RP600V2-S-SL 600W way more than enough to handle a 8800 gts 512. I'm in the USAF and as an E4 money can be a little tight (especially during the holiday season) for the family of 4 that we have. So it'd be a nice holiday upgrade for her if you want to send it my way. Hit me up if you want to work out shipping or whatever. Thnx for offering it up either way.
a b U Graphics card
November 3, 2009 5:19:08 AM

jaguarskx said:
Nice of you to give away 8800GTS, however I have to say the title of the thread is a bit misleading.

Stating "Giving away my unused 8800GTS 512" implies it has not been used at all. While it may be technically true that you never used it, it is still a used video card because it came from your friend's system.

Okay, I'm leaving this thread now before people start calling me a Grinch and toss lumps of coal at me.

Obviously I mean that I don't use the card anymore therefore: my 'unused' 8800GTS12. However I see that it can be confusing to some people who just look at the title (because my first post clearly states that it is used) Anyways, I fixed the title, though it sounds kind of dumb now, thanks lol.
November 3, 2009 5:22:02 AM

Comp specs:

E6750, Dual core 2.66 I believe
2GB DDR2 RAM
nVidia 8400
500 GB HD idk what kind.

I don't know anything else really. This is an HP computer my dad bought for me 2 years back. It ran fine back then, but since having a 24" native 1920x1200... The 8400 does not cut it. I have a 500w PSU sitting around which my dad bought as a replacement for an old comp, I didn't install it as.. Well I don't need it at the moment.

I'm a CS student with no job, just full time student. All I do is play WoW since it's the only thing my computer can run at all, at a lower res for that matter, I've forgotten what it's at. I do want to play more games, I have Fallout 3 and Oblivion but obviously can't play it due to my computer.

I would like to have that GPU but there are probably other who could use it as well, decide how you will.

Congrats to whom ever gets it!
a b U Graphics card
November 3, 2009 7:44:57 AM

robv60 said:
which was.....?

Saying you'd pass on your current card to somebody who doesn't have one as good, and there will be plenty of people who dont.
a c 130 U Graphics card
November 3, 2009 9:31:10 AM

4745454b said:
I was going to toss my name into the ring until I read that about that poor b@$t@rd who has to game using IGP. While I would love a 8800GTS, he obviously needs it more. (E6600, 4GBs, Antec EA500, and an 8800GS.)

Sorry, :c. I wish I didn't have to either.
a b U Graphics card
November 3, 2009 10:43:48 AM

shadow187 said:
Sorry, :c. I wish I didn't have to either.

@annisman - i would give the card to this poor fellow. He usually gives good advices to everyone and he could use the GPU power. :) 
a c 130 U Graphics card
November 3, 2009 11:00:37 AM

hallowed_dragon said:
@annisman - i would give the card to this poor fellow. He usually gives good advices to everyone and he could use the GPU power. :) 

WHAT IS THAT SUPPOSED TO MEAN.

And don't get my hopes up.

*My Theory*
By keeping your hopes in life down, you can never be disappointed. Therefore, there will be less things such as suicides, reduced crimerates, etc.
[/emo]
November 3, 2009 11:17:34 AM

/agree with Hallowed
November 3, 2009 3:10:12 PM

jennyh said:
Saying you'd pass on your current card to somebody who doesn't have one as good, and there will be plenty of people who dont.

Heck, Id be more than happy to pass on my HD3450 to someone that could use it if I was chosen for the 8800gts. Im sure someone could use it for movies if nothing else, which it does very well.
a c 130 U Graphics card
November 3, 2009 6:48:08 PM

Good to see something like this come around again. Well done, annisman. Just be forewarned, making the final decision is NOT easy!

Quote:

3) To the next person who decides to run a giveaway like this, be warned. This wasn't easy. 4 1/2 hours of compiling and deliberating, tonight. My neighbors prolly think I'm nuts (of course... I am). I'm STILL not sure I'm making the best decision, but I could go on for a few more days and be no closer.

-Wolf sends
November 3, 2009 7:24:17 PM

It is nice to see there are some nice people out there, I just bought an X38 motherboard and 2 5850s for my cousin for his birthday on the 10th, maybe I'll convince him to give away his old 8800 GTS 512s.

Before you say anything, it is not that nice of a gesture considering he is the only one that is not in my immediate family that is getting anything, hating your family is a cheap activity around the holidays.

Anyway, shadow definitely needs some love!

I remember playing quake 4 on a 6100 nVidia IGP *shivers*
November 4, 2009 2:36:25 AM

^ now only if i could get someone in my family to do that :ange: 
a b U Graphics card
November 4, 2009 2:40:01 AM

Wolfshadw said:
Good to see something like this come around again. Well done, annisman. Just be forewarned, making the final decision is NOT easy!

Quote:

3) To the next person who decides to run a giveaway like this, be warned. This wasn't easy. 4 1/2 hours of compiling and deliberating, tonight. My neighbors prolly think I'm nuts (of course... I am). I'm STILL not sure I'm making the best decision, but I could go on for a few more days and be no closer.

-Wolf sends

Honestly, I'm not stressing on it too much, I plan on doing a giveaway once every month or so from here on out, so there will be a number of chances to get a nice piece of hardware.

I will announce who gets it tomorrow, at around 5PM EST. - annisman

EDIT**** I still haven't decided yet, it will be shortly before I announce tomorrow, you're not too late nuclearterror
November 4, 2009 3:34:20 AM

First off, thank you for your generosity (handing out an awesome graphics card to the lucky person). This will be great for people who are unable to afford a decent graphics card.

I am a high school student in 11th grade and I think what you are doing is just amazing. I understand how hard it is to afford decent hardware. I don't have much time on the weekend to find a job because of the large amount of work that I already receive from my AP classes. It's difficult for me to afford a computer that could play games on decent settings. My parent can't afford it because she is a single working mother and it would be wrong to ask for a new GPU when she already works hard. I can only buy new hardware if my father is generous, he doesn't live with me anymore.

I play games on my spare time to relax after a day of lectures, work, and learning. It was hard for me to even get the PC I have now so I can play games on the lowest quality and resolution (I had to save for a few years). I understand that there are other people have a worst system than mine but it doesn't hurt to try ;)  .

CPU - AMD Athlon 64 X2 5200+ 2.7 Ghz
GPU - 8400 GS
Motherboard - ASUS M2N SLI
PSU - 420W *My Uncle would let me switch my 420W for his 550W if I needed it or I can buy a better one on Black Friday

I've seriously been dreaming about getting a more up to date GPU and then upgrading my PSU (I desperately want to play the new games like Dragon Age Origins and other MMORPGs!). I have been reading lots of guides on how to replace those parts in a PC. If I was picked, it would be one of the most exciting days of my life; I would be able to play my favorite games in good settings and other games that I couldn't play before.

Gaming is my favorite thing and I am working to be a programmer in the future and then break into the game industry some day. Again, thank you for doing this; I really really appreciate it.

EDIT: I don't know how I can pay for shipping if I am the lucky person (I probably won't, I've been an unlucky person all my life) because I don't have a credit card or anything since I'm under 18... I have never used paypal before :??: 

EDIT 2: OMG lol I'm too late, you already evaluated xD
Anonymous
a b U Graphics card
November 4, 2009 4:00:53 AM

http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/271160-33-9600gso-467...

Shadow can already afford a good card.

shadow187 said:
I need to separate this into three categories.

Power Consumption
Heat
Performance

I can afford either of the cards. Just which one wins out of those fields?
Also, can both cards max Tf2 (no aa/af) @ 1280x1024?

a b U Graphics card
November 4, 2009 5:32:23 AM

shadow187 said:
WHAT IS THAT SUPPOSED TO MEAN.

And don't get my hopes up.

*My Theory*
By keeping your hopes in life down, you can never be disappointed. Therefore, there will be less things such as suicides, reduced crimerates, etc.
[/emo]

I was just kiddin' :D  Good luck.
November 4, 2009 5:34:30 AM

Well, you are an awesome guy for offering this up. I hope I am still in the running, Otherwise, I guess Ill save up for an HD 4670. Or wait for the prices on the 4770 to come down some more. Thanks for the opportunity!
a c 130 U Graphics card
November 4, 2009 8:24:47 AM

Quote:
http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/271160-33-9600gso-467...

Shadow can already afford a good card.

Yes, and how do you think I can afford those? I asked because I'm indecisive as to what goes into my next computer. But that computer will be built at my dad's, for my dad's house, and I go there 2 out of 14 days. I put, "I can afford either one" so people wouldn't tell me "Lolz 4670 r cheeper", all I wanted was pure performance numbers.
*And before you tell me to just be happy with gaming on those 2/14 days, I go over my dad's house to see my dad, not my computer. I game for a few at night, but I game 4x more at my other house.
a c 172 U Graphics card
November 4, 2009 10:32:17 AM

randomizer said:
Ah, this brings back memories. It's good to see there are still real people among the consumerist masses. :) 

+1
November 4, 2009 12:09:33 PM

Give shadow some slack. I have asked the same question. If Im not the one chosen for the 8800, Ill still have to save up for either the 4670 or something better or wait until another deal like this comes along. We have to have a back up plan if we arent chosen for the 8800 and if we are in a situation that requires us to save up for something like a 4670, we better ask what is better for us so we get the most bang for our buck. The good thing is that I at least built my system so I could one day have something like the 8800 or 4870 once the prices got within my range. Still waiting for that to happen....
November 4, 2009 12:38:13 PM

Hi guys. I was inspired by the awesomeness of this thread and started a similar thread in the CPU and Components (Power supplies) forum. I'm giving away my months old 550w Rosewill RP-2 PSU. Do any of you need a new PSU w/some more wattage? I know it's not the best on the market but I'd like it to go to someone who could use it and doesn't have the funds for a new PSU at the moment. I'll pay for shipping in the US. Feel free to head on over and post in my thread if you want it. Thanks.

-sparky13
a b U Graphics card
November 4, 2009 12:58:00 PM

sparky13 said:
Hi guys. I was inspired by the awesomeness of this thread and started a similar thread in the CPU and Components (Power supplies) forum. I'm giving away my months old 550w Rosewill RP-2 PSU. Do any of you need a new PSU w/some more wattage? I know it's not the best on the market but I'd like it to go to someone who could use it and doesn't have the funds for a new PSU at the moment. I'll pay for shipping in the US. Feel free to head on over and post in my thread if you want it. Thanks.

-sparky13

Awesome man, you are very generous!

Maybe we can keep the love going....anybody got some old hardware sitting around that can still be used by someone (with an ancient rig) why not think of giving it up ? Obivously you don't have to, but isn't it better tnak leaving it sitting around ?
November 4, 2009 1:14:03 PM

It is absolutely better to pass on your old equipment than to let it collect dust and take up space, I actually have donated more than 3 entire machines to members of my gaming community in hopes of bettering their gaming experience. I will have to take a quick inventory of what I have left, not much in the way of GPU's unless you are interested in an old Rage128 Pro lol.

At work I end up tossing hard drives and older video/sound cards all the time, as well as the occasional P4 and Celeron CPU. Not going to hijack this thread, but I will start up a new one once I have an inventory of what I have kickin' around!
November 4, 2009 1:14:03 PM

Maybe we can keep the love going.... said:
Maybe we can keep the love going....

...*keeps love going in an entirely inappropriate way*...
November 4, 2009 2:16:37 PM

I am definitely going to offer my HD 3450 up if/when I ever get a new GPU. Stinks for gaming but is a great, silent card for an HTPC! Nice to see all the generosity!
!