Not getting sound from TV speakers when connecting comp via 3.5mm>RCA

tuesday0180

Distinguished
Nov 15, 2009
I can't seem to get sound from my TV speakers.

I am connecting my computer via HDMI to HDMI to my LCD Tv.

I purchased a 3.5mm > RCA Cable and have hooked up my sound card to the Tv set. I am not getting sound.

Is there anything I need to do to configure the sound?

I know it's not the sound card because I get sound if I connect my pc speakers to the sound card. It's also not the tv speakers because I get sound when watching cable tv and dvd's.

I tried the wires in different audio inputs and still no sound. What am I doing wrong?

tuesday0180

Distinguished
Nov 15, 2009
Just a little more information.

When connecting some separete PC speakers to the sound card the sound works while watching movies on the LCD Tv.

When connecting my mp3 to the tv using same wire it works. This method I'm using Video 4 instead of Video 7(where the computer is connected to the TV hdmi slot.

I think I've narrowed it down. The sound card works. The tv speaker work and the wire works. I think the issue may be just getting the sound from the computer sound card to come out of the TV speakers.

Could this be an issue with the HDMI wire? I've played with the sound options in the windows properties and nothing works.

ace700

Distinguished
Oct 25, 2008
you dont need to get the 3.5mm to rca cable if you using hdmi cable. check to see if you video card supports hdmi slot. then check to see if there is sound going through that same check. and did you install the video card proply

tuesday0180

Distinguished
Nov 15, 2009

Hi Ace,

I don't believe my video card brings audio into it because I have an Nvidia Geforce 9500gt. I believe the new ATI cards have hd audio built into it, but Nvidia cards require that the video card be connected to the onboard SPDIF audio header.

Unfortunately I don't think my motherboard has a spdif audio header on it to connect to the video card.

goofytek

Distinguished
Jan 13, 2010

What kind of TV is it? A Model number can help. You need to be using the RCA/Audio Input that is paired with that HDMI input. On some tvs there is only one HDMI input that comes with optional L/R RCA inputs. Here is an example of a Samsung TV back panel inputs. As you can see there is a Pair of R/L RCA inputs that is also sub-labeled HDMI 1, next to the HDMI 1 input. My Sony KDL-46XBR8 has it as well.

HDMIDVIRCA.jpg

steadfast1984

Distinguished
Jan 3, 2010
On my TV I had to turn PC audio on. the 3.5mm jack jumps into my HDMI 1 slot. i have to go into my TV audio settings and activate the jack manually for it to work. maybe your TV has the same thing going on with it. But i'll tell you this, running PC to TV then TV to Speakers, you loose sound quailty, especially with the 3.5 mill jack. i just by pass the TV now, i Got a RED and WHITE RCA adapter with a 3.5mm male jack and plugged it in the back of my soundcard (green hole) and ran it straight to my cheepy external 2.1 tv speakers. you can even get a switch so you can flip it back and forth from TV to PC so you dont have to keep unplugging wires and switching them. i found that the sound quality off the PC is way nicer when you don't run the signal threw the TV.

tuesday0180

Distinguished
Nov 15, 2009

My TV is a Sony KDS55a2000

The back of the TV has two HDMI inputs. Right next to the second HDMI input is some RCA audio inputs. I plug it into those and there still isn't sound.

goofytek

Distinguished
Jan 13, 2010

I just took a look at your manual for the SXRD and HDMI input 7 with the 2 RCA is what you need to be plugging into normally for a PC input. But i just looked at your first post again, and you are not using a DVI to HDMI cable. So you are using the HDMI port that is built into the card right?

My first guess is that maybe the video card might be still sending a signal with no audio through the HDMI cable still thus Overriding the RCA inputs on HDMI input 7. I would think that HDMI audio will take precedence over the analog L/R RCAs. Try checking your audio settings to see if there is an audio driver/source that is tied into the nvidia HDMI port. Maybe you can disable it or remove it.

On another note, i notice that you are using an SXRD TV, those are pretty old now right? I owned an KDL-46XBR2 LCD TV(came out in 2006-07), which i think replaced the SXRD lineup. I can tell you if your TV is older than my last tv, It might be better to use the VGA port on the back if it can support 1920x1080 input. I check the manual but it dont list anything pass 1360x768 for the PC input. Then you can use a 3.5mm to 3.5mm from the card to the TV for pc audio.

The reason I bring it up is that it seems that the XBR2 at the time did not fully support the PC output color range of 0-255 when using the HDMI port. Those HDMI ports are expecting a DVD/HD/Bluray Video color output of 16-235. So colors will be off when using HDMI inputs on older Sony TVs from a PC. On newer TVs it can detect what range or you can tell the TV which inputs are receiving PC type signals. On my XBR2 the VGA was sharper and the colors was correct vs using the HDMI input which was not as sharp and didnt handle the text as well.

Anyways good luck with your issue, and I hope you find a solution!

eduardosmx

Distinguished
Dec 22, 2009
lol Same problem happened to me, and I fix it, you need to go to the nvidia control panel and disable the digital audio (HDMI) then apply and test and it will work!, this is because the 3.5 audio out is only for vga mode and if u want to use it with the hdmi u will need to disable the hdmi output once you do it, it will work, sometimes it does not recognize it when u boot up the computer, but if u enable and disable again it always works, I have a new Scarlett II 32" that Im using as monitor! and this is the only way I fix it! Hope this will fix your issue to