Need to use files on my external

seanny

Distinguished
Nov 11, 2009
I am trying to use the files from my external drive.I just recently had a problem with my Ssd.(luckily for me,I backed all my files up before the Blue Screen happened over and over)I also have 2 Western Digital hard drives,1 is a 2 tb Green,the other is a 1 tb black.I am now forced to use the WD Black 1tb as my boot drive until the Ssd RMA comes back.My question is once I connect my External(Seagate Go flex 2tb 3.0) Hard Drive back in,how do I access the files I need..examples are Graphics Card Drivers,files etc....or do I have to put the driver discs all back in manually?I just did a fresh install since my Ssd(Zalman 128gb)had my OS on it and now it's being RMA'd. I am just not sure how to access my files off the external and didn't want to ruin anything(god knows I am fed up with stoppages).

seanny

Distinguished
Nov 11, 2009
I just need to access the files from the external.It's the same build just minus the Ssd.The Ssd had all my stuff on it>>it was my c.)Drive....
I wonder if the same thing would work here that worked in Vista..kinda like a file merge...there is something you add called 'take ownership'when you right click.
Here is the link if anyone can help me solve this http://www.petri.co.il/add-take-ownership-context-menu-vista.htm

seanny

Distinguished
Nov 11, 2009

No,I haven't copied over evrything.The Ssd is gone.I just did a clean install on a WD Caviar Black drive.But my problem is that I need to access all of my backed up files from my external hard drive ,stuff like Graphics card drivers,Soundcard drivers..etc..I will load evry disc back up if I have for the drivers but that will take a long time.

seanny

Distinguished
Nov 11, 2009
Let me ask it a different way.How do I access my files on new build.I plugged in the External drive but accessing the files isn't as simple as it sounds. I backed up all my files before my Ssd crashed.Now I am RMA - ing that drive.in the meantime,I am using a different drive.I see the files,I just can't use them.Right now evrything is un usable because they all need Driver discs to be able to use.I have no sound because I need to access the drivers.Also need to access the graphics card drivers.I can't use the Internet because it is wireless and the wireless usb antenna needs drivers to function.

r-sky

Distinguished
May 8, 2007
Should have done a backup & restore for your OS Drive...

You still need to install the drivers.

If they are from the net and on your external, install from there. You can't move the files over and expect the OS to use them

seanny

Distinguished
Nov 11, 2009

How can I install them from the external?

seanny

Distinguished
Nov 11, 2009
Also if I can't access the files from the External,then why use an external in the first place.It's to back up files to a drive in case of an emergency.Well,I have an emergency>my Ssd died..so I had to start over and use a WD Caviar Black 1tb.

tomskent

Distinguished
Nov 25, 2010
a possibility is that your os drive is probably encrypted, and thats why you cant use the data.

just go to another computer that does have internet access, download the drivers for your system, put them on a usb stick, then bring them back to your system to install.

Ideally for an external HD, its not a HD you used for an OS Boot drive, its a drive you specifically format and use for the storage of files (no system files /not encrypted)