1155 air cooler that will not block RAM slots

ecjohnson3

Distinguished
Jul 13, 2011
Hello All,

I am basically looking for an air cooler that will be relatively simple to install, keep my i5 2500k @4.5 24/7, and not block my first 2 RAM slots. I don't think height should be an issue as my case is a decent size, but unfortunately this is an old beat up hand-me-down case so I don't have a model for you.

I would love something as well regarded as the 212 without it being so large since from what I can tell the 212 is going to take up too much space.

I would prefer not to spend more than $50-60 US and I am brand/website neutral.

I appreciate your suggestions and I do care about looks since my case is all windowed :)

Thank you in advance!

Solution
Well...

We can really only guess about what the cooler will be able to do. It really depends on your chip and the voltage that is needed to get the OC you want.

Maybe you have a really good chip that can hold 4.5Ghz @ only 1.27v in which case the 212 would be perfectly fine. It really all depends on your chip.

Also, when I say 'barely' I mean that your temps will probably be around high 60s to low 70s 'C at around 1.35v.

Some people don't mind running hotter than that. In which case the 212 would be more than fine. I just prefer to stay below 70'C personally, and the cooler the better imo.

As far as your options, I believe that the Cooler Master 212 Evo would be your best choice, as long as you have room for it. It is better...

lahawzel

Distinguished
Dec 16, 2011
Wouldn't your RAM slot problem be solved if you bought memory modules that were within ATX specifications? Most CPU coolers only conflict with RAM installation when people buy gigantic RAM with huge decorative heat spreaders.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820233186

Or some of the "Value" RAM without heat spreaders if you want, since heat spreaders on RAM don't really do anything significant.

Provided your case is 7.6"+ wide a 212+ or Evo would be fine.
Measure your case side to side from the top.
Both coolers have the same dimensions pretty much.
I doubt they'll block one dimm,i've used a 212+ on two builds with 4 dimms filled with Ripjaws.
Not a problem.
Same goes for the Corsair A70.= used with 4 dimms filled with Ripjaws.
All you have to do is slide the fan up 1/4" at most.

DelroyMonjo

Distinguished
If you mount the CM 212 facing the rear fan, RAM clearance shouldn't be a problem. One can easily remove the fan on a 212 if you do have a clearance issue. And since you have an "old, beat, up, hand me down" case, I doubt it has top fans.

ecjohnson3

Distinguished
Jul 13, 2011
I appreciate all of the feedback. I apologize it has taken me so long to post back on this thread.

To be more specific I do want access for swapping out RAM kits as I am playing around with several boxes at the moment and different configs however the board/cpu won't move and hence the cooler will stay put once installed.

The "old case" does have two 60mm side-by-side rear exhaust fans and one 60mm top fan with two 60mm side-by-side intake fans in the front. I should also mention here that it is a top mounted psu.

Alot of the RAM kits that I have been working with lately do have heat spreaders on top of them and I was looking for a cooler that would provide easy access to the RAM and rest of box.

I was hoping for a smaller shinier cooler that could maintain a cool 4.5 ghz, however if you think that the 212 is still the best option I am not completely against it.

Will moving the fan into a different orientation on the cooler greatly affect cooling? I don't want to be blowing all heat up into the psu so I guess I would consider placing the fan in a pull configuration. Any thoughts on this?

Thanks again for the help.

vollman1

Distinguished
Aug 8, 2011
The best option will be whatever meets your needs within your budget.

The closed loop water coolers will give you good cooling taking up very little space.

The low-mid end air coolers will also give you good cooling at a cheaper price, but taking up more space.

In the end, you have to decide if you want more space for air flow, taking out RAM, etc. Or if you are more concerned with budget constraints.

Honestly, for a 4.5Ghz OC the low-mid air coolers (inc. Coolermaster 212s) in push/pull would probably just barely get you there and are cheaper. You wouldn't be able to go past ~1.35v OC though.

I prefer the water coolers, but you do pay a bit more per degree cooled.

If your budget is really tight, here is a decent deal on a budget air cooler($18 after MIR):

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835103065

Or the Evo which is an upgrade:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835103099

Edit:

I just saw your case constraints. Unless you have space to mount a rear 120mm fan, your best choice is going to be the low-mid end air coolers like the one listed above.

ecjohnson3

Distinguished
Jul 13, 2011

Thank you for breaking down the options.

I do not have a 120mm fan mounting point on this case so I will rule out water cooling for now.

I am willing to go with a bigger air cooler if that is the only way to get the performance I need. I didn't realize the 212 would "barely" maintain a cool 4.5. Do you have some suggestions that move into a higher price range. My budget is not tight just what I was planning on spending so if there are air coolers that have substantial increases in performance I am willing to spend the money.

vollman1

Distinguished
Aug 8, 2011
Well...

We can really only guess about what the cooler will be able to do. It really depends on your chip and the voltage that is needed to get the OC you want.

Maybe you have a really good chip that can hold 4.5Ghz @ only 1.27v in which case the 212 would be perfectly fine. It really all depends on your chip.

Also, when I say 'barely' I mean that your temps will probably be around high 60s to low 70s 'C at around 1.35v.

Some people don't mind running hotter than that. In which case the 212 would be more than fine. I just prefer to stay below 70'C personally, and the cooler the better imo.

As far as your options, I believe that the Cooler Master 212 Evo would be your best choice, as long as you have room for it. It is better than the Gaia sd1283 that I mentioned and will give you more cooling, so you may be able to have a comfortable 4.5Ghz (again as long as the chip is willing).

Upgrading past the 212 gets you into some really huge air coolers that will probably not fit your case. And the 212 is fine for the majority of people in the same situation as you. And really it is about the best that you will be able to get unless you also upgrade your case.

Solution