8 gigs with GA-890GPA-UD3H

joe2173

Distinguished
Apr 17, 2010
Okay hers the problem. I can run 6 gigs of ram 2 gig a stick in any dimm with out a problem. When I install the last stick in any slot I receive the dreaded blue screen of death.

I have checked each dim and they all single work no problems also. I have used 3 sticks in all configureations with no problems. The problem is only when I install the 4 stick.

I have updated to latest bios and motherboard drivers available. I am running windows 7 x64 with a Phenon 2 x4 3.4 processor.

does anyone else have this problem? :bounce:

joe2173

Distinguished
Apr 17, 2010
The memory modules are 4 CMX4GX3M2A1600c9. Corsair chips running at 9 9 9 9 24. 1600

I have found a partial solution. The Bios was forcing 1333 when the memory is speced for 1600. However this is still not completely stable. I am thinking that the bios needs to be tweaked even more. However I am not sure on other settings. I have made the latency adjustments mentioned above however there is a host of other factors that can be changed. I am not trying to overclock just trying to get this set up for opt proformance.

joe2173

Distinguished
Apr 17, 2010
I did not up the voltage on the chips. It is set to 1.5 by default. When I movefd it to 1.65v It turned red. I am not sure if the bios does this for precautionary reasons or not.

joe2173

Distinguished
Apr 17, 2010

just wanted to ask... What is the QVL for 4 modules?

joe2173

Distinguished
Apr 17, 2010
Corsair does not show my mother board listed. I have already asked the question if it is supported on that website just have not received reponse yet. Gigabytes website says they can use up to 32 gigs of mem.

joe2173

Distinguished
Apr 17, 2010
here is a different mem viewer hope this helps
memjpg.png

bilbat

Splendid
I'm sorry - I pointed you (and someone else [:lorbat:6] !) at the wrong program - usually recommend MemSet for Intel 775 boards, 'Tweaker' for everything else...) I was probably just delerious - got a cortisone shot in my shoulder joint for 'mouse shoulder' (biceps tendonitis) and hurt like hell 'till this AM, when, blessedly, it appears like it might work! [:bilbat]

You still need to click the SPD button and post that screen - the idea here is that we want to compare how the DIMMs 'think' they want to be setup (the SPD data), with how they're actually setup (the screen you've already posted)...

zetabater

Distinguished
Apr 20, 2006
I have a 890GPA-UD3H with 4GB of Corsair CMX4GX3M2A1600C8 and set my memory the following way:

. Press Del to enter BIOS, the main BIOS screen will appear.
. Press Ctrl+F1 to see the advanced BIOS menus.
. Select menu item 'MB Intelligent Tweaker', all BIOS changes will be on this screen.
. Set item 'Set Memory Clock' to Manual.
. Set item 'Memory Clock' to x8.00, this sets memory to 1600.
. Under 'DRAM Configuration' set the items to the following values:
Unganged
Manual
9T
9T
9T
24T
2T
5T
110ns
10T
5T
34T
5T
. Set 'System Voltage Control' to Manual.
. Set 'DRAM Voltage ' to 1.65v, leave all others at Normal.

Save the above settings and reboot.

Good Luck

joe2173

Distinguished
Apr 17, 2010

I tried this but everything is black except the selector of dim 1-4. I can post a copy of that but thought it was redundent.

joe2173

Distinguished
Apr 17, 2010

I tried these exact settings and was extremely unstable.. Reducing it down to 1033 made it more stable but I am still getting occasional errors.

On a side note. THe memory hates Unganged. Will not even load windows in unganged mode

zetabater uses 2 modules with a lower latency and you are using 4 modules. Getting 2 modules to run usually is much easier. You'll either have to increase the voltage or loosen the timings. Did you contact Corsair support? They might be able to provide you with settings that will work with your motherboard or confirm that running 4 of these modules won't work.

joe2173

Distinguished
Apr 17, 2010

I have already made inquries to corsair. It is the weekened so I dont expect they will get back to me until tomarrow. My guess is the ram is not supported.

bilbat

Splendid
I thought I had posted this before, but Tom's appeared (I think - always the possibility of a mis-click?) 'gobbled' another one... GhislainG's advice is good - four sticks always require a little extra work, and any specific memory (especially 'fast' memory) may simply not work... However, I'm wondering, as this is 'brand-spankin' new tech, whether the SPDs coming out blank might be related to the underlying problem - perhaps some deficiency in the coordination between the BIOS and the hardware is not letting it 'see/read' the SPD data itself... I would like to have you try the same thing, with only one or two DIMMs in - see if the SPD button then 'works', and gets some valid tables. If not, I have another tool up my sleeve, but am always hesitant to recommend it, as it can overwrite the SPDs themselves if used incorrectly!

zetabater

Distinguished
Apr 20, 2006
If you are able to run successfully with 4GB of memory, what are the BIOS settings? Record them from the 'DRAM Configuration' item page of menu selection 'MB Intelligent Tweaker' of the BIOS. On this page, the SPD and AUTO memory timings are also listed. How do the memory timings in use, compare to the SPD and AUTO settings?

Also on the DRAM Configuration page, the DCTs Mode should be set to 'Unganged', the default setting. If you cannot run when set to 'Unganged', one of the dual memory controllers on the Phenom may not be functioning correctly.