Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

SSD - buy now or wait until end of Oct?

Last response: in Storage
Share
September 9, 2011 12:08:12 AM

Getting ready to upgrade for BF3. Figured I'd wait til end of Oct for game's release before doing it but at this point is there any point? Any price reductions coming between now and then? Or should I just dive in now?

More about : ssd buy wait end oct

a b G Storage
September 9, 2011 12:42:52 AM

threefourbeast said:
Getting ready to upgrade for BF3. Figured I'd wait til end of Oct for game's release before doing it but at this point is there any point? Any price reductions coming between now and then? Or should I just dive in now?


Hi Threefourbeast,

Most likely, you would get a better deal if you waited actually until black friday or during the Christmas time. Most stores will probably try to get rid of their old stock (or current now) so it should be more beneficial to wait. If it's until the end of October, you may still want to wait or just bear without an SSD.

Hope this helps with your question!
a c 143 G Storage
September 9, 2011 2:03:56 AM

^+!...

If you are looking to just purchase the SSD for BF3, you would be better served spending the money elsewhere. A SSD will only improve load times and really won't effect FPS (frames per second), which is more important in gaming performance. If the SSD is for the OS, Apps & the BF3, I support the decision to purchase a SSD and waiting will only help with pricing (specially as stated above).
Related resources
September 9, 2011 2:14:36 AM

SSDs wont affect gaming performance in any way, might as well just get a new GPU instead
September 9, 2011 6:58:11 PM

Sorry, should have been more clear.

Not buying an SSD for BF3, per se. I'm upgrading the entire rig and this is my big upgrade that I do about every 3-4 years. I was ready to do it over the summer but used the BF3 release to give myself a reason to wait and catch (hopefully) some price drops for various hardware.

I already have a GTX 590.

Just wondering if there's any point waiting another 7 weeks to purchase an SSD in as far as price is concerned. Sounds like I would benefit waiting.

Hanging on until Black Friday is, I'm sure, a great idea. However, no way in hell I'm that patient :) 

Current build:

Q6600
8gbs DDR2
P5N32-E SLI
Two 10k rpm Raptors in RAID
GTX 590

Final build as planned:

2600K
8GBs
Z68
SSD
GTX 590
a b G Storage
September 9, 2011 7:17:03 PM

threefourbeast said:
Sorry, should have been more clear.

Not buying an SSD for BF3, per se. I'm upgrading the entire rig and this is my big upgrade that I do about every 3-4 years. I was ready to do it over the summer but used the BF3 release to give myself a reason to wait and catch (hopefully) some price drops for various hardware.

I already have a GTX 590.

Just wondering if there's any point waiting another 7 weeks to purchase an SSD in as far as price is concerned. Sounds like I would benefit waiting.

Hanging on until Black Friday is, I'm sure, a great idea. However, no way in hell I'm that patient :) 

Current build:

Q6600
8gbs DDR2
P5N32-E SLI
Two 10k rpm Raptors in RAID
GTX 590

Final build as planned:

2600K
8GBs
Z68
SSD
GTX 590


It sounds like you're doing a future proofing sort of thing! :) 
Since you already have a high end GPU, you really wouldn't need an SSD as of yet. The only good reason to wait is for deals with the higher end SSD that may appear, which would save more money in the end so you can spend more on the motherboard/processor. If there isn't much of an issue with load times with your system now (doesn't seem like it with 10K raptors in RAID), it would be better to wait. You never know, 7 weeks can go by fast!

Hope this helps with your question!
!