Sign in with
Your question

Motherboard not recognizing any hdds

Last response: in Storage
September 9, 2011 12:13:48 AM

I recently bought a bunch of components to build my first pc, and I RMAed the motherboard and got a replacement. I don't think this is a motherboard issue anymore.

My MSI motherboard won't recognize any hard drives, but it will recognize a sata blu-ray drive. I'm stumped. I've been searching all over the internet for a problem similar to mine, and can't really find anything. The hard drives won't even start spinning when I boot it up. I have two new hard drives that I would like to use with my new pc, but both can't be recognized when plugged in.

Here's what's really strange: both of these hard drives are recognized and fully usable with my old pc. Is it possible this is a power supply problem? I don't really think it is a psu problem because my blu-ray drive works just fine. Any ideas?
a b V Motherboard
a b G Storage
September 9, 2011 1:47:30 AM

Are they SATA drives? If so, hook one of them to the data and power cables that work on the blu-ray.
m
l
September 9, 2011 1:50:57 AM

Already tried it. Didn't make a difference. I'm starting to think this isn't a power supply issue, but instead an MSI motherboard issue.
m
l
Related resources
a b V Motherboard
a c 289 G Storage
September 9, 2011 4:06:06 PM

I don't know about that motherboard. Some very few mobos require that you enable SATA ports one-by-one in the BIOS. Dells do this, and it is a pain in the posterior.

Is it possible that you have that issue?
m
l
September 9, 2011 4:16:09 PM

Well, I only have a few, very limited options-

I can enable IDE mode, AHCI mode, or RAID mode.

With AHCI and RAID modes, I can only set which SATA ports are "hot-pluggable" and that's it.

I can't go through and enable SATA ports one-by-one with this motherboard. I can with my old computer because it's a Dell, though.
m
l
a b V Motherboard
a b G Storage
September 10, 2011 12:22:40 AM

Quote:

So did you select AHCI? Probably not the PSU; however, since the HDs work with the old computer, can you switch out the PSUs?
m
l
September 10, 2011 1:27:52 AM

Check if you sata controllers are disable. some motherboard has 2 sata controllers.

Use the DVD power connector on your HDD to see if that work, if doesnt work can be your southbridge.
m
l
September 10, 2011 3:58:30 PM

cmichael138 said:
Quote:

So did you select AHCI? Probably not the PSU; however, since the HDs work with the old computer, can you switch out the PSUs?

I can't switch the out the power supplies, unfortunately. And I've tried all 3 SATA modes and none of them will recognize that there's a hard drive.
m
l
September 10, 2011 4:02:21 PM

erasmo84 said:
Check if you sata controllers are disable. some motherboard has 2 sata controllers.

Use the DVD power connector on your HDD to see if that work, if doesnt work can be your southbridge.

I've already tried different power connectors with the hdd and that didn't work. All the power connectors work because I tried each available one with the dvd drive.

And I don't think I have any options in the BIOS to enable/disable SATA controllers. I think this motherboard only has one SATA controller, but it works with the dvd drive.
m
l
a b V Motherboard
a b G Storage
September 11, 2011 12:18:29 AM

What model is your MSI MB?
m
l
September 11, 2011 12:27:18 AM

It's a P67A-G43 (B3)
m
l
a b V Motherboard
a b G Storage
September 11, 2011 2:52:26 AM

I just reviewed your user manual and am sorry to say that I'm stumped. What power and model is the PSU?

Hopefully, someone else will chime in with ideas.
m
l
September 11, 2011 3:54:33 AM

It's a Corsair 650w psu. Not sure on the exact model.
m
l
!